+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dual shield settings

Post Thanks / Like

Dual shield settings

I should take a picture of the chart in my Millermatic 252. Where they give recommended settings for dual shield they are markedly different from those I see in demonstrations.

Typically, internet demos are using 1.5 to 2 volts higher, and wire speeds 100 or more IPM slower than recommended in my welder. Have I missed something?

When the stars are aligned, I hear a hissing sound, and the wire seems to lose its outer shell leaving only the flux core visible. Settings seem a mystery.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual shield settings

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I should take a picture of the chart in my Millermatic 252. Where they give recommended settings for dual shield they are markedly different from those I see in demonstrations.

Typically, internet demos are using 1.5 to 2 volts higher, and wire speeds 100 or more IPM slower than recommended in my welder. Have I missed something?

When the stars are aligned, I hear a hissing sound, and the wire seems to lose its outer shell leaving only the flux core visible. Settings seem a mystery.
    I usually crank it up hot around 75/25 settings and fine tune from there off the door chart. Takes a bit of twiddling to get it figured out.
    The "hiss" is what I want to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're doing what any decent welder would do...….you're setting the machine to where it runs right for you. The stuff on the door is only a ballpark "suggestion".

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln’s settings for tig welding 1/8” joint says I should be at about 125 amps when really I was using 210 amps and it worked just fine

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist