+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vote for your favorite - Milwaukee or Dewalt portaband

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vote for your favorite - Milwaukee or Dewalt portaband

You may be right , the DeWalt probably would have been fine. The Dewalts we had back then had a heck of a rubber covering around it. The salesman came out with a couple to test out. He threw it about 10' and it just bounced.
    The light feature was nice but cutting 4" schedule 40 pipe the Milwaukee beat it. Same pipe, a guy on each end. Milwaukee had a Milwaukee blade and Dewalt had a DeWalt.
    They're all good when they work. I still have my first Milwaukee portaband which was before the deep throat of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a old milwaukee myself but the deep cut with smooth plastic and no rubber guards, they're all better than a hacksaw which I still used on occasion to cut a few threaded rods or unistrut to all the younguns amazement , easier than running power sometimes, I was messing with a old-timer one time (long story he was a bid swede) and gave him some Phillips shells one morning told him to have at it, he looked at me like I was a alien, I guess we all get used to a better/easier way, star bits forever

Post Thanks / Like

just had a friend of mine who buys the cases of power tools that get returned to Home depot/ lowes etc.. at auction (no they don't go back to milwaukee or dewalt or porter cable etc.. they go to auction and get sold by the pallet) he asked if I wanted to upgrade my trusty old milwaukee 6230N (the very first made in china and what the HF saw is based on) I said sure but ain't worth the $300 he said he'd swap my 6230N straight as I help him out alot... the saw is brand new 6232-21 never had a blade on it I went to put a blade on and the tires were missing..... someone bought it, stole the tires and returned it.. new tires will be here tuesday $25
    I asked him what was the most returned tool as far as ones that really are defective he didn't even take a breath instantly dewalt... said he sees more dewalts in the 20 volt versions than any other followed bu porter cable which makes sense they are actually the same company now.... said he only finds 25% of milwaukees that are actually defective most are just returned outa buyer remorse but outa the pallets of dewalts he says the DOA rate is close to 75%
    I don't know the guy only buys 15-20 pallets a week sells on ebay as well as craigslist and Amazon and is such a hustler ya will find him at the swap meet every friday night and saturday night monday morning hes at an auction buyin pallets...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    just had a friend of mine who buys the cases of power tools that get returned to Home depot/ lowes etc.. at auction (no they don't go back to milwaukee or dewalt or porter cable etc.. they go to auction and get sold by the pallet) he asked if I wanted to upgrade my trusty old milwaukee 6230N (the very first made in china and what the HF saw is based on) I said sure but ain't worth the $300 he said he'd swap my 6230N straight as I help him out alot... the saw is brand new 6232-21 never had a blade on it I went to put a blade on and the tires were missing..... someone bought it, stole the tires and returned it.. new tires will be here tuesday $25
    I asked him what was the most returned tool as far as ones that really are defective he didn't even take a breath instantly dewalt... said he sees more dewalts in the 20 volt versions than any other followed bu porter cable which makes sense they are actually the same company now.... said he only finds 25% of milwaukees that are actually defective most are just returned outa buyer remorse but outa the pallets of dewalts he says the DOA rate is close to 75%
    I don't know the guy only buys 15-20 pallets a week sells on ebay as well as craigslist and Amazon and is such a hustler ya will find him at the swap meet every friday night and saturday night monday morning hes at an auction buyin pallets...
    In the days when the Milwaukee Hole Hawg was still breaking wrists, elbows, and ripping shoulders Porter cable introduced a monster drill they called Timber Wolf. It had more power than the infamous Hole Hawg, but featured a clutch, and had more length for more human leverage to control it. Tool manufacturers outdo each other often. By the time I bought, DeWalt had even better specs.

The internet wasn't much then, but I researched the best price mail order. I went to my local farm store, explained I could buy it elsewhere for X number of dollars. If they could match the price, I'd rather buy local. My "friend" I'd known lifelong could match price.

It arrived six weeks later. Cardboard box was gone, he apologized. I didn't buy it for the cardboard box.
    Metal case was damaged. I allowed that it'd look worse after I had used it a few weeks.
    Chuck key, manual, depth guide, and aux handle were missing.
    I still took it.

I drove less than a mile, plugged it in. The noise was BAD! sparks, and bits of molten metal spewed from the brushes.
    I took it back, had the Monty Python Dead Parrot argument. He assured me he would send it back for warranty repair.

I had a new one a week later. Still have it. It is on limited duty. Milwaukee Super Hawgs now have better specs.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ you ain't kidding about the hole hawgs compared to the timber wolf,

Post Thanks / Like

Got a chuckle out of that "hole hog" story. I was up on an eight foot step ladder boring 2" holes and the drill bit locked up and twisted my arm around and pinned my hand against the sideing, couldn't release my trigger finger and was able to pull the cord from the outlet to finally turn it off. After getting my hand from the hole hog, there was a siding nail just along side where my hand had been. Man, talk about lucky!! Bob

Post Thanks / Like

One of those real life medical emergency shows had a guy working on a tall step ladder under a second floor sun porch. He was on uneven ground. The Hole Hawg had a 1" auger 18" long. The ladder gave way. The drill was still running. It entered his right eye, and came out the top of his head.

He survived, with brain damage.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

well I guess I'm gettin sentimental in my old age... saw my buddy and asked what he'd need for me to just buy the new 6232-21 outright as I kinda wanted my old 6230N as a backup.... he said $100 then when I gave it to him he handed me $25 back.. said it was for the missing tires! got the new tires yesterday and cutup a bunch of 2x2x1/4 square tube for a metal door frame and man that new saws light and nimble and way quieter than my old chain drive 6230N and the LED light sure is nice but... I don't know just missed the old girl so maybe she can hang out in the shop trailer just in case this skinny lil kid tryin to replace her chokes or maybe I'll make a base for the 6230n like that KLUTCH miter bandsaw and mount her in there to further obsolete my old chop saw for on the road work...

Next thing ya know I'll be buyin them girlscout cookies insteada walkin by the lil 8 year old sellin em outside home depot like I never saw em......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist