+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hypertherm Powermax 380 to Eagle Plasma 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm Powermax 380 to Eagle Plasma 4x4

i need help if you could...
    I recently bought an Eagle Plasma 4x4 cnc system to use with my Hypertherm Powermax 380. I have the cutter's trigger wire spliced to the relays on the back of the control box, and I do know that the cutter works normally but when I try to use the cnc machine the torch doesn't fire. The air is good, and the voltage accurate... but the program runs the part without activating the arc to cut. Is there something that I am missing? I've had the table for a little while now and haven't actually been able to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 380 to Eagle Plasma 4x4

Is the switch in the torch handle open or closed. If you wired the CNC in series with this switch it must be closed.
    If you removed and bypassed the switch, then the contacts in the CNC must close to fire the torch.
    Also look for a setting on the CNC control panel, that says torch on/off, or dry run, or test run.
    Should be a mode that lets you run the table and make sure you keep the torch on the metal and not cut off the edge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll have to look into them when I get a chance from work. I spliced the cutter's trigger wire from inside the machine itself. The hand torch has a safety lever that you have to raise to pull the trigger... I had been thinking that was the issue, but I had taped the lever open and tried running the machine and still no results. The mach 3 system that I have, has a torch on/off but that doesn't make a difference. I will have to look inside the handle... I could post pictures when I do.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing to look into. Does your CNC use a powered or dry switch contact.
    Easy to test. Place a voltmeter on the two wires and see if it reads an AC or DC voltage or nothing, If nothing then switch
    meter to ohms test and see if it goes from open(OL) to short (0). You want no volts with an open to short when arc called for.
    If you have volts you will need to look into if the CNC and see if it can be changed to remove the voltage or if you have to
    install a relay between the two. the 380 will not like external voltage on the trigger wires.
    Here is a suggestion. Get a double throw/ double pole toggle switch, Has 6 connections. with it you can have a CNC position
    and a hand torch position. Just use the switch to direct the trigger wires to either the CNC or the hand torch.
    That way for hand cutting just unclip the torch and flip the switch and cut.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist