+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable stick welder recommendation for basic welding for hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Affordable stick welder recommendation for basic welding for hobby

I make wooded tables and usually end up buying metal legs for them but I'm sick of waiting (2-4 weeks) and paying for someone else to do it so I'm thinking of just getting a stick welding and doing it myself. Some questions though, as I'm completely new to welding.

Looking at something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/AMICO-PO...-165/304254631

Name:  kat76-02-full3.jpg.image.169x250.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  2.8 KB

1.) Most legs are 1-2" square tubing with some kind of panel on top to screw it into the table. I'm assuming that the stick welding can handle this without any issues? Is this metal easy to find and affordable?

2.) My shop only has 50 amps coming into it, I can barely run a table saw and dust collector so I'm worried about running a welder in there. I can run another 240v outlet but I would probably have to keep it to 30 amps to leave room for lights etc. Is this fine, does this change what type of welding I can get?

3.) To get started, I have this shopping list. What else should I get? Welder, sticks, mask, gloves, grinder.

4.) Since I would be doing this in my wood shop where there are often shavings etc should I be concerned about sparks causing a fire? I can always do it outside I guess.

5.) I want it mostly for table legs but I'm assuming once I see it in action I'll find other uses for it. Some other projects I can think of are various tables for my tools, wood racks, shelfs, etc. I'm assuming a basic stick welding would work for this basic stuff too, right?

6.) Is there anything I'm not asking that I should be asking? What am I missing about this hobby that I should know?

Thanks!
    Last edited by detz; 05-21-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Affordable stick welder recommendation for basic welding for hobby

Stick welding is going to be very difficult for that application, especially for a novice. I think you would be better served by a small MIG welder. Maybe something like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...put-64804.html
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Woodworking and welding don’t mix well because all those wood chips and finishes are flammable and any type of welder will cause sparks to ignite them. But if you decide to proceed, you should avoid stick welding. It is hard to learn and hard to make a pretty weld with unless you spend a lot of time with it. You are interested in a stick welder because the low end welders are cheap. You need to look at a wire feed welder with gas. GMAW, Gas Metal Arc Welding, MIG, Metal Inert Gas, MAG, Metal Active Gas are all the different names for this type welder. It will run off 120 volts, is easy to learn and you can produce pretty welds fairly quickly and not have to worry about slag clean up. After you get a decent low end Lincoln or Hobart with a gas cylinder and wire and protective equipment, you will be well over $1000. Welding is an expensive hobby. Do not get the wire feed welder without gas (FCAW or Flux core). It has slag and welds are not as pretty and it is harder to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    Do not get the wire feed welder without gas (FCAW or Flux core). It has slag and welds are not as pretty and it is harder to learn.
    jeffery, I’m just a hobby welder! I have had very good luck running self shielded flux core wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    jeffery, I’m just a hobby welder! I have had very good luck running self shielded flux core wire.
    CEP likes to claim he is a hobby welder and then show off one of his professional welding pictures. Don’t you think, CEP, that the label on that pic (vertical up) gives you away?

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.harborfreight.com/stick-...der-64978.html

OK SO I am a part time woodworker/welder/troll? So i will say, ive been welding in the shop, and its a mess and the welder has not ignited any woodshavings, but u shouldnt take a chance. Wear a lil 3m respirator so you dont kill your lungs, i dont, even though i should, because ive taken anatomy and physiology and we learned about the lungs and detail about pathology/diseases about lungs.
    I will say, that you should wear good ppe welding or grinding, definetly leather welding apron or fr clothing and yeah. BUT ESPECCIALLY DONT WEAR ANYTHING WITH POLYESTER, you can wear cotton t shirts, and maybe get by, but with polyester it will catch on fire. It happened to me, and i have burn scars at 16 years old, 3rd degree 10%.

With HF new welders, its a 1 year trial period, returns free no questions asked, so buy one of their titanium mig machines or maybe the mig 170. If u want to get into welding long term, get stick as youll learn stuff, youll have to do a lot of grinding for that pipe weld stuff on the plate as a begginer to remove the screw ups. Remember to bevel, to increase penetration, so it wont fall apart easy. GET THE MIG 170 or 180, as the other fcaw machines are AC which is trash for fluxcore. The mig 180 is better than the 170, beefier transformer and rectifier, about like 20% more beefy looking and weight. The 180 is discontinued so it can only be found in select stores, so call HF on the phone and find which ones have it, plus its slightly cheaper than the price as the 170 as the discontiuned/extra inventory discount makes it cheap. The mig 180 used to be nearly 100 dollars more than the 170 back in the day.

Peace
    Last edited by n00b; 05-21-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard of that brand of welder before, but looking at the specs, it might not be too bad for what you want to do. It says it draws 23 amps on 240V, but that's most likely when you have it close to the 160 amp output, which you won't be near that with the material you are wanting to work with. If you could run the additional 30 amp 240V circuit for it and put it in an outdoor location away from the wood working area, it would be best A lean to shed built on the side wall of your shop to weld under will work.
    The tubing can be purchased relatively cheap, if you get it from a local steel supply company in 20' lengths. Some will cut it into 10' lengths for no charge. Don't buy it at Home Depot or Lowes, as the prices they charge for a 4-5' piece is about the same as you could get a 20' piece at the steel yard. Having a way to cut it to the sizes you need will be most helpful too. It could be done with a grinder with a cut off wheel, but some kind of saw would be better. A portable band saw(porta-band) or an abrasive chop saw is OK. You CAN cut it with a jig saw with the right blade on it, to start with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    I have not heard of that brand of welder before, but looking at the specs, it might not be too bad for what you want to do. It says it draws 23 amps on 240V, but that's most likely when you have it close to the 160 amp output, which you won't be near that with the material you are wanting to work with. If you could run the additional 30 amp 240V circuit for it and put it in an outdoor location away from the wood working area, it would be best A lean to shed built on the side wall of your shop to weld under will work.
    The tubing can be purchased relatively cheap, if you get it from a local steel supply company in 20' lengths. Some will cut it into 10' lengths for no charge. Don't buy it at Home Depot or Lowes, as the prices they charge for a 4-5' piece is about the same as you could get a 20' piece at the steel yard. Having a way to cut it to the sizes you need will be most helpful too. It could be done with a grinder with a cut off wheel, but some kind of saw would be better. A portable band saw(porta-band) or an abrasive chop saw is OK. You CAN cut it with a jig saw with the right blade on it, to start with.
    yeah hd steel is a pyramid scheme. STAY AWAY. and there bolts too. Has anyone tried wholesalebolts.com, prices seem good. U can find the HF 4x6 bandsaw on craigslist for $100 dollars and it can cut steel to great tolerances with some TLC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    Don’t you think, CEP, that the label on that pic (vertical up) gives you away?
    But I’ am a hobby welder, now.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Noob,

not all of the HF Mig welding machines come with the 1 year trial- no hassle return.

Only their Vulcan line of machines come with that offer.

Titanium line does not.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Noob,

not all of the HF Mig welding machines come with the 1 year trial- no hassle return.

Only their Vulcan line of machines come with that offer.

Titanium line does not.
    I wouldn’t buy any of them

I don’t know why anyone would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

It honestly doesn't help the OP at all though. Just sayin. You as a former professional welder could definitely offer better advice to someone in his position.

OP, a inverter stick welder on 120V can handle up to 3/32" E7018 rods at about 85A or less, usually, which leaves a slag, but is generally easy to remove compared to say E6013 rods. On 240V, it should be able to handle 1/8" E7018 if needed. You never actually mentioned what thickness your tubing is, which is very important. MIG with C25 gas would be even better since it leaves no slag to clean off at all, but if you must stick weld, 3/32" E7018 is what I would recommend if your metal thickness is not less than 0.070". Regardless of which method you choose, NEVER PRACTICE ON THE ACTUAL PROJECT/PART! Always do many many trial runs on practice pieces before going to town on the actual part that needs to be welded. Without help from someone that knows what they're doing, it's not gonna be something that you pick up in a day, unless you already happen to know what to look for, which you probably don't since you already mentioned that you know little about welding.

Also, don't just get any "mask". This is not woodworking. You need a welding-safe respirator with proper filters. Link.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detz View Post
    I make wooded tables and usually end up buying metal legs for them but I'm sick of waiting (2-4 weeks) and paying for someone else to do it so I'm thinking of just getting a stick welding and doing it myself. Some questions though, as I'm completely new to welding.

Looking at something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/AMICO-PO...-165/304254631

1.) Most legs are 1-2" square tubing with some kind of panel on top to screw it into the table. I'm assuming that the stick welding can handle this without any issues? Is this metal easy to find and affordable?

2.) My shop only has 50 amps coming into it, I can barely run a table saw and dust collector so I'm worried about running a welder in there. I can run another 240v outlet but I would probably have to keep it to 30 amps to leave room for lights etc. Is this fine, does this change what type of welding I can get?

3.) To get started, I have this shopping list. What else should I get? Welder, sticks, mask, gloves, grinder.

4.) Since I would be doing this in my wood shop where there are often shavings etc should I be concerned about sparks causing a fire? I can always do it outside I guess.

5.) I want it mostly for table legs but I'm assuming once I see it in action I'll find other uses for it. Some other projects I can think of are various tables for my tools, wood racks, shelfs, etc. I'm assuming a basic stick welding would work for this basic stuff too, right?

6.) Is there anything I'm not asking that I should be asking? What am I missing about this hobby that I should know?

Thanks!
    i think your on the right track.
    i think the suggestions of getting a mig is rather poor. its very easy to make a good looking bad weld with a mig. for learning, stick is much better.
    if at some stage you start doing a lot of production welding then have a look at a decent mig and workshop space to use it all in.

that sort of small inverter is just fine. i cannot comment on brands. your not going to be welding anywhere near max amps.
    as far as wood shavings go, with stick you can weld outside just fine.

6013 electrodes will work just fine for what your doing. it will also give nice appearance and if you make a mistake there is always the grinder.

Post Thanks / Like

That is like saying Michael Jordan is now a hobby basketball player.

Post Thanks / Like

i think the suggestions of getting a mig is rather poor. its very easy to make a good looking bad weld with a mig. for learning, stick is much better.
    I agree that stick is better for learning. But his learning curve is going to be fairly long and steep when it comes to welding on 1 inch to 2 inch square tubing. Around here 1 inch square tubing means a wall thickness of .065 to .120 inches. 2 inch ranges from .065 to .250 inch wall thickness. Below 3/16ths of an inch I have found it difficult to not blow through with stick rod. Yes it can be done, but for furniture, I think he would be better off with a MIG. Just my opinion FWIW
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Broccoli: "only their vulcan lines..." sorry. my b.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I wouldn’t buy any of them

I don’t know why anyone would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    they (harborfreight) are better than a mystery amico brand or sungoldpower which is what i have, the latter. I do believe that amico is one of those chinese companys, but not sure, as i found their instruction manual, and the english quality was accordingly. Sungoldpower is a subset of a chinese power inverter company for solar panel systems, they all ready were making inverters, so just add a lil unit on the side of the factory for inverter welders... I personally havent tried the amico welder, but i will say its pot luck with the chinese inverter brands, at least with HF, its an actual store and you can return it and their brands have a little better QC than for instance, shenzhen shou sugi INC. Also ppl really like their vulcan lineup and also their titanium,
    Last edited by n00b; 05-21-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ive welded tons of square tubing in my learning days in h/s, we had buzz boxes on a 30amp circuit and ran them about 60 to 75 amps with 3/32 7014 - yea occasionally i would burn a hole in one but once you get onto it, we welded the heck out of stuff.

I would recommend a used one of those highly for price/reliability/descent welding for hobby - i wouldn't go down the road of mig you cant get into those close corners well with a mig
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Post Thanks / Like

For what you're wanting to do, a $50-$100 used AC stick welder(Lincoln AC225 for example) would work just fine with 3/32" E6013 or E7014 electrodes. E6011 would also work, but it will take a lot of practice to run and get a nice looking finished weld. Any 220v machine in that class will run most AC compatible 3/32" rod just fine on a 30 amp circuit...but you won't be able to turn the machine up over about 90-100 amps. I wouldn't recommend a wire welder, simply because it's far too easy to get a good looking bead with inadequate penetration. In addition to that, many of the small/inexpensive wire machines are lacking when it comes to the range of available settings and the power output is severely limited.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with 3/32" rod but as a beginning stick welder found it to be much harder to run than 1/8". Advice to me on here was to start with big rods, even 5/32" then work my way down. Starting with 3/32" was pretty frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It honestly doesn't help the OP at all though. Just sayin. You as a former professional welder could definitely offer better advice to someone in his position.
    OK, for the money I’ve been very impressed with my Everlast 200ST. It welds 6010 every bit as nice as my SA-200s. And has a really nice arc with 7018.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    they (harborfreight) are better than a mystery amico brand or sungoldpower which is what i have, the latter. I do believe that amico is one of those chinese companys, but not sure, as i found their instruction manual, and the english quality was accordingly. Sungoldpower is a subset of a chinese power inverter company for solar panel systems, they all ready were making inverters, so just add a lil unit on the side of the factory for inverter welders... I personally havent tried the amico welder, but i will say its pot luck with the chinese inverter brands, at least with HF, its an actual store and you can return it and their brands have a little better QC than for instance, shenzhen shou sugi INC. Also ppl really like their vulcan lineup and also their titanium,
    Thanks for the ramble.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    For what you're wanting to do, a $50-$100 used AC stick welder(Lincoln AC225 for example) would work just fine with 3/32" E6013 or E7014 electrodes..
    AGREE.

Fug harbor freight
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detz View Post

Thanks!
    I always thought the Eastwood 250mp was a great looking machine for the money. Mig, DC Tig, and stick all in one bundle, with a duty cycle equal to MM252.
    --Gol'

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-mp...mp-welder.html Prices went up a couple hundred since last time I looked at them. But it is a complete package.
    --Gol'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist