+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the Vulcan ProTig 200?

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the Vulcan ProTig 200?

Anybody know why the Vulcan ProTig 200 has disappeared from HF's website?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to the Vulcan ProTig 200?

They had them in the store last weekend...
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Lincoln filed suit against them like they did us.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

They did file a lawsuit, against nearly the entire Vulcan line of welders. They cite several patent infringements and one for trade dress.

The case was dismissed, with prejudice, on April 26 of this year.

I'm still wondering why the ProTIG 200 cannot be found anywhere on the HF website. I've got a few months left to decide wether or not to take advantage of the one year risk free trial period.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a reddit thread about the protig200 being on clearance for $500 iirc, with the one year no questions warranty still in place. I'm going to try to swing by ye ol' harbour freight this weekend and pick one up if so, hell of a deal IMO and i've been looking for an excuse to snag one. hopefully someone has more insight as to weather or not this is a permanent product removal. The other vulcans are still on the website btw

Post Thanks / Like

The HF near me does not have any Pro-Tig 200 anymore.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    They did file a lawsuit, against nearly the entire Vulcan line of welders. They cite several patent infringements and one for trade dress.

The case was dismissed, with prejudice, on April 26 of this year.

I'm still wondering why the ProTIG 200 cannot be found anywhere on the HF website. I've got a few months left to decide wether or not to take advantage of the one year risk free trial period.
    Interesting case. They were also suing for an ad that HF ran in 2017 that had Red welding machines in the ad- Not Lincoln but Lincoln Red.

Lincoln’s Red Enclosure Trade Dress and Red and Black Trade Dress

46. In the welding industry, colors are heavily relied upon by consumers to recognize brands. For example, among welders and people in the welding industry, when speaking of a plant or shop, often their equipment is referred to as “They use the red stuff [Lincoln]” or “They have nothing but blue [Miller].”

126. Further, in the Inventory Closeout Ad (Exhibit N) HFT directly compares its tombstone-shaped product to one of Lincoln’s products bearing the Tombstone Trade Dress. However, in making this comparison, HFT does not fairly represent Lincoln’s product, as discussed above.

This little reference too

84. As one indicia of the iconic nature of Lincoln’s Tombstone Trade Dress, Lincoln’s AC/DC Arc welder was featured in the 1992 hit movie “Home Alone 2 Lost in New York,” in the scene where the protagonist, Kevin, zaps the bad guy, Marv:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 05-24-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Interesting case. They were also suing for an ad that HF ran in 2017 that had Red welding machines in the ad- Not Lincoln but Lincoln Red.
    Yeah, I saw that, and I found a picture of the ad in question. When reading the text I found myself on Lincoln's side, but when I actually saw the advertisement - well not so much. It is extremely obvious to me that the photo of the line of six Vulcan welders was taken in different lighting than the single Vulcan welder at the bottom of the page.

Here is a picture of the ad with the six welders in a line that Lincoln claims that are in violation of their trade dress.

Name:  Vulcan ad.jpg
Views: 24632
Size:  163.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Dang it- that coupon expired
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the early 2000's John Deere won some arguments in court that became case law regarding their trade dress and colors, and the colors of the competitors weren't even close, and trim was a whole other color than yellow. I'm surprised that wasn't brought into the argument.

But because Lincoln offers special "packages" in other colors like Stainless or even possibly camo, would in turn discount their claim to trade dress I suppose. What do I know? I'm no lawyer.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

If any manufacturer has a gripe about color it would be Everlast. Harbor Freight's Titanium line bright green looks pretty close to the Everlast color, at least on the computer screen.
    Also recall Snap-On sold some red MIG welders, don't know if that is still the case.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

I can confirm that Vulcan ProTig 200 isn't on the website or in our local HF storefront as of 5/24/19 but they are pushing the Vulcan Pro-Tig 165 with 1 year return and 1 year extended warranty...sigh...IIRC it has both HF & lift start but I haven't read the manual yet to see how the pulse function works and is adjusted. The 165 was on sale from $679 to $649 in my recent mailer received last week.
    My hobby tasks would probably do just fine with the dual voltage 165 Vulcan or perhaps even the original 165A HF Tig now selling for about $400 (although the lift & HF options are what I really want for options).
    I sure hope guys buying , using to learn on and do a job or two, and returning just to get their money back (no problem with the product) didn't destroy the company's confidence in the product to the point where they discontinued it and the 2 year extended warranty product.
    Last edited by JimboTN; 05-24-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Maybe Lincoln filed suit against them like they did us.
    Are you referring to Primeweld? What was Lincoln's reason for a lawsuit?
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time was 2 1/2 years ago when the Primeweld was red. Didn't fight it just changed colors, but now Primeweld owns the trade dress and colors. This time because its listed as a Tig 225, Primeweld is taking this one to arbitration as the welder is listed as a Primeweld Tig 225 ACDCP, Lincoln's is listed as a Precision Tig 225 will see how this comes out.

Post Thanks / Like

A HF manager told me yesterday that the ProTIG 200 was discontinued, said that no reason was given for not carrying them anymore. He then went on to give me the company line that HF is always coming out with new and better products.

Post Thanks / Like

damn that bites if accurate. Harbor freight should really try to play up their metal working/welding offerings. Home fabrication is huge right now and getting bigger with all the youtube info out there. No other store here sells reasonably priced fabrication items like metal brakes, tube rollers, hydraulic presses, gantry cranes, welders, welding accessories and consumables, ring rollers, etc etc etc.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 05-25-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    A HF manager told me yesterday that the ProTIG 200 was discontinued, said that no reason was given for not carrying them anymore. He then went on to give me the company line that HF is always coming out with new and better products.
    The Vulcan ProTig200 is being replaced with the Vulcan ProTig20-----. My guess is they sold out of the ProTig200.
    Last edited by shovelon; 05-28-2019 at 01:44 AM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    The Vulcan ProTig200 is being replaced with the Vulcan ProTig20-----. My guess is they sold out of the ProTig200.
    you were part of the original testing of the protig200.no connections for better insider info about a possible replacement?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    you were part of the original testing of the protig200.no connections for better insider info about a possible replacement?
    Yes I was part of the original Vulcan testing. Little birdies say "mums the word".
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

i have seen several around here on the internet c/l and marketplace
    Lincoln AC 225 - S
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 ( 1980 )
    Oxy/Acet Victor Gauges/Purox Torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 800
    Miller Digital Elite US Flag

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was part of the original Vulcan testing. Little birdies say "mums the word".
    I am betting you talked the little birdies add adjustable post flow to the ProTIG 20XXX
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

you've either said too much or too little
    any timeline on that mum birdie?asking because i still have a few months on the 1 year satisfaction trial.
    Last edited by filetobeef; 05-29-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I am betting you talked the little birdies add adjustable post flow to the ProTIG 20XXX
    and hf start.and waveform,and and and....

Post Thanks / Like

Some stores still have the ProTig 200's, they are being put on clearance. Other items that are on clearance are still on the website - you can find their product page and download the manuals. The ProTig 200 (item #63619) is not anywhere to be found on the website, you can't even download a manual. It's like HF doesn't want to acknowledge that they ever existed.

HF also seems to have a pattern of retaining products names while making changes to them, they simply add more SKUs. Doesn't make sense that they would have to erase the ProTig 200 to replace with it another similar, improved(?) model.

My guess is that they reached an agreement with Lincoln to pull the ProTig 200s, and they are replacing it with a different version that will appease Lincoln Electric.

Post Thanks / Like

"My guess is that they reached an agreement with Lincoln to pull the ProTig 200s, and they are replacing it with a different version that will appease Lincoln Electric."

I think you are right.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist