+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the Vulcan ProTig 200?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to the Vulcan ProTig 200?

got confirmation that new protig 205 will come out in January 2020.
    asking about new features.stay tuned if any reply comes my way.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Protig 200 that will be less than 1 yr old in January. Will I want to exchange it, or keep it?

Astrobuf

Post Thanks / Like

With that model orphaned before many were sold, there may never be third-party components to maintain it. I would take them up on the exchange warranty, on the basis that it has no future so it isn't what you had expected when you bought it.

That exchange warranty was a feature intended to get the units out there for the public to try. The discontinuance is now an unexpected disadvantage of that model, in my opinion justifying exchange for a current model.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobuf View Post
    I have a Protig 200 that will be less than 1 yr old in January. Will I want to exchange it, or keep it?

Astrobuf
    Well if it were me I would take advantage of the one year satisfaction guaranty, get my refund, and then use the money for an upgrade of your choice. If you purchase the new improved ProTig205 then HF will be thrilled. Whether it has the same satisfaction guaranty, IDK.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Well if it were me I would take advantage of the one year satisfaction guaranty, get my refund, and then use the money for an upgrade of your choice. If you purchase the new improved ProTig205 then HF will be thrilled. Whether it has the same satisfaction guaranty, IDK.
    this is what i'm thinking also.
    mine will be coming up on 1 year in the next few weeks.still debating turning it in and waiting on the new HF protig ,assuming it really does come!

Post Thanks / Like

How long of a warranty do these welders have?

I keep hearing about a "1 Year" warranty. A little while back I got a ProTig 165 and it only came with a 90 day. I had to pay additional for a 1 year and even more for a 3 year.

You guys with the 1 year warranty, are you paying extra for that or is that what comes standard? If it comes standard is that a regional thing?

Post Thanks / Like

The 1 year warranty was only for the first models being sold for a limited time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    The 1 year warranty was only for the first models being sold for a limited time.
    The 90 day warranty is to get past infancy failure. That was their logic. Even then it took some convincing to get them to offer warranty for purchase. Well worth it. They told me that they wanted to target the professional market and I told them I would must have 3 years to justify my ROI and tax strategies.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

it took some convincing to get them to offer warranty for purchase.
    If HF thought they would lose money if they sold warranties for their welders .... that's not encouraging.

So in effect buying the 3 year warranty is an essential part of the purchase. You're betting that some units won't last that long and HF didn't want the other side of that bet.

I'm looking at this from a marketing case study perspective. About the time of that extreme management turnover, I anticipated the growth that has now followed. (Kinda like watching early Ebay. A good guess on that got me most of the cost for a new car). I looked for ways to invest in HF. Nope, it remains owned by a single stockholder. Who takes all the cash out of it that HF can raise or borrow. It's interesting to watch but there's no way to buy into their profitability.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

The 90 day warranty is to get past infancy failure. That was their logic. Even then it took some convincing to get them to offer warranty for purchase. Well worth it. They told me that they wanted to target the professional market and I told them I would must have 3 years to justify my ROI and tax strategies.
    no update on the upcoming tig205,if it's really coming?
    i only have 2 weeks to return my protig200 before the 1year is up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    If HF thought they would lose money if they sold warranties for their welders .... that's not encouraging.

So in effect buying the 3 year warranty is an essential part of the purchase. You're betting that some units won't last that long and HF didn't want the other side of that bet.

I'm looking at this from a marketing case study perspective. About the time of that extreme management turnover, I anticipated the growth that has now followed. (Kinda like watching early Ebay. A good guess on that got me most of the cost for a new car). I looked for ways to invest in HF. Nope, it remains owned by a single stockholder. Who takes all the cash out of it that HF can raise or borrow. It's interesting to watch but there's no way to buy into their profitability.
    My 3 year ROI means that all the expenses involved with the purchase of tig welders are recovered within that time. So take for instance my purchase of Miller Dynasty400. Total cost to me is $9k. If I use said tig welder 20 hours a week at $80/hr, times 50 weeks a year, times 3 years I have billed $240k. Seeing as my shop rate reflects 4 times cost, that piece of equipment generated $60k. So my investment was returned at least 6 times in 3 years provided warranty kept me operating for that 3 year period. My Dynasty700 took twice as long to realize ROI but was realized within 12 months and well worth the investment.

The investment of my LincolnSW200 at $1500 including 5 year warranty upgrade was returned just shy of 3 years with 2 years warranty left. It took that long because I use it only for portable or field applications. I teach workshops with it and the HF tigs as well. Harbor Freight has me lending my beta units to the local high schools, and local universities to build their competition entries. Cal State Northridge welds their steel bridge. University of Southern California welds their off road chassis. The high schools weld their "First Robotics" chassis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    Only info I have is Feb 2020 seems to be the debut of the 205 and that is second hand info. The last time I remember that the stores were building inventory for a couple months before debut. In fact the debut happened before I even knew it. They wanted me to do an online video but I had to tell them maybe when the production unit was available I would consider it. They had a production unit on my floor within 2 days. The 200 would still be on the shelves if not for the settlement they made with Lincoln to discontinue production. Figuring Harbor Freight has over 1000 stores, and each store has sold at least 20 units, then you can expect that Harbor Freight manufactured and sold at least 20,000 ProTig200s.

Post Thanks / Like

I am betting they will not come out with the new one until all the old ones can't be returned.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

just got email clicked on the live from sema and had alot of new stuff including tig 205 coupon so must be coming soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulbuz View Post
    just got email clicked on the live from sema and had alot of new stuff including tig 205 coupon so must be coming soon
    What was the price on the 205?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmh31909 View Post
    What was the price on the 205?
    $899 (using coupon). ProTig 205 SEMA Coupon. FYI - The coupon expires 11/24/2019. So if they aren't available in store before then, I presume they'd issue rain checks and notify you when they arrived.
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
    $899 (using coupon). ProTig 205 SEMA Coupon. FYI - The coupon expires 11/24/2019. So if they aren't available in store before then, I presume they'd issue rain checks and notify you when they arrived.
    Thanks for posting that! It would be nice if we had some idea what if any differences that are between the 205 and current 200's other than possibly 5 amps...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Try taking a look at the user manual for the HF accessory tig torch. It includes what appears to be a CAD representation of the Protig 205 new LCD screen. And if it is accurate, is a notable improvement over the 200. I'll try to upload a screen grab from the manual and edit my post if successful...
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X

Post Thanks / Like

it has quite a few improvements .

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that section in the torch manual, and while it looks 'cool', it still does not really tell you about what feature-set the machine has.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using my Pro Tig 200 for a couple years now without issue. If this new one has some better features, I'd be all over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just talked to a buddy who manages the local HF. Said to call him Friday AM and he'll have something for me.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be super-cool (lol) if they offered some kind of trade-up program for existing owners of ProTig 200's.
    I would love to have the latest and greatest and would be willing to pay an incremental upgrade fee, but probably cannot justify all out buying a brand new machine and since the 200 is discontinued, would probably not be able to get a decent amount for it if I tried to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmh31909 View Post
    It would be super-cool (lol) if they offered some kind of trade-up program for existing owners of ProTig 200's.
    I would love to have the latest and greatest and would be willing to pay an incremental upgrade fee, but probably cannot justify all out buying a brand new machine and since the 200 is discontinued, would probably not be able to get a decent amount for it if I tried to sell it.
    They sell for around $500 online (used). I think I paid $699 for mine so no big deal. Have to see what the new one has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

from what i've been told,pre and post flow are adjustable,possibly wider range on pulse,high frequency start and "advanced functions" whatever that means.
    read on their ordering system that it still has 1 year free trial warranty but the sales people said only 90 days!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist