+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday Bucket Fun

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunday Bucket Fun

Quote Originally Posted by KD Welding View Post
    Putting a new edge on this bucket for a 330 Cat. 54” edge 2.25” thick. Didn’t quite get it done today but far enough for a few pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some nice work you did there KD, I love doin buckets. Have a good weekend and be safe

Post Thanks / Like

Last few pics. 3/4”x5 wear flats on bottom and some added side wear protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a beast!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice wear shoes and side cutters, I would have brought the side cutters up another foot myself but that's just me. What did you make the shoes and cutters out of? We use a lot a lot Cruesabro 800, very hard stuff I think they said the stuff is made in Australia, very expensive, but these guys go all out for wear protection. Wintertime it is difficult to weld it, got to heat it up like mad all the time bein as how we work outside. About 3 years ago we made a lip for a Komatsu 800 trakhoe bucket out of that stuff and welded it up on one of our coldest weeks. We didn't have much trouble with it and it is holding up very well, I just got done putting some wear plate on the tooth bases last week. 500 bucks is a damn good price for a bucket that size.

Post Thanks / Like

The idea is that with the wear protection perpendicular to the travel of ground engaging tool. The material will wear on the wear bars first. If they were going in the other direction strips of the heel of the bucket would be constantly exposed and wear in those areas as if there was no wear protection at all. If that makes any sense.

Good explanation. Long ago I bought a used bucket that appeared to come from the factory with the wear bars running in the direction of travel, after some use I noticed a little bellying between the wear strips, the base sheet in the heel of the bucket was getting paper thin. I welded in strips in the gaps between the originals and saved the bucket.

The other reason for wear bars perpendicular to the direction of travel is the spaces between bars or at least the leading edges will pack in dirt and small rocks, serving as additional wear material, if the bars are in line with the direction of travel it is more like bucket floss.
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

Post Thanks / Like

That bucket looks great
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

great job on the bucket. if it wasn't for the rust i'd think it was brandy new right out of the factory.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Good explanation. Long ago I bought a used bucket that appeared to come from the factory with the wear bars running in the direction of travel, after some use I noticed a little bellying between the wear strips, the base sheet in the heel of the bucket was getting paper thin. I welded in strips in the gaps between the originals and saved the bucket.

The other reason for wear bars perpendicular to the direction of travel is the spaces between bars or at least the leading edges will pack in dirt and small rocks, serving as additional wear material, if the bars are in line with the direction of travel it is more like bucket floss.
    Some outfits like to run the wear plates running in the direction of travel, they seem to think its easier on the machine mechanically. I don't know seems to me that the stuff I work on has more than enough moxie to put up with em running like this and it aint gonna bother that 16 cylinder diesel and the hydraulics a bit. But yeah you will get one deep ol groove in between wear bars running with the direction. To each his own I guess...I just do what the customer wants...unless it is something real stupid I know aint gonna work..ad if they wont change their mind I refuse to do anything

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. The customer was very happy. Specially since I got all the AR for him pro bono. Someone in the past had replaced the heal in this bucket and put all pretty light heal in it. Only 5/16” thick. What wear flats that were on it were pretty much regular MS as far as I could tell. Customer is a great guy who spent the long dollar on the edge so I wanted to help him out. I usually don’t have any issue repurposing old cutting edges for wear protection purposes. “Anything structural is a totally different story” however my town rd foreman hooks me up with the old plow truck edges. I was able to get the specs on them. Base metal AR 400 with a carbide insert. The steel from the carbide up tends to be untouched and I can get a solid 3/4”x5” bar out of them with a little help from the plasma. For a bucket this big I generally like to put at least a 1” thick wear flat on it but given the thin heal was reluctant. I could just see one of those heavy wear flats hooking on some ledge or something and can opening that heal. So the thinner flats made more sense and at a bargain price.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. The customer was very happy. Specially since I got all the AR for him pro bono. Someone in the past had replaced the heal in this bucket and put all pretty light heal in it. Only 5/16” thick. What wear flats that were on it were pretty much regular MS as far as I could tell. Customer is a great guy who spent the long dollar on the edge so I wanted to help him out. I usually don’t have any issue repurposing old cutting edges for wear protection purposes. “Anything structural is a totally different story” however my town rd foreman hooks me up with the old plow truck edges. I was able to get the specs on them. Base metal AR 400 with a carbide insert. The steel from the carbide up tends to be untouched and I can get a solid 3/4”x5” bar out of them with a little help from the plasma. For a bucket this big I generally like to put at least a 1” thick wear flat on it but given the thin heal was reluctant. I could just see one of those heavy wear flats hooking on some ledge or something and can opening that heal. So the thinner flats made more sense and at a bargain price.

Old cutting edges...yup...Old Owen told me once there aint nothin harder than old dozer edges...I use old dozer edges for all kinds of wear plates....I make side cutters for dozer blades using them and sometimes use them on the excavators and loader buckets. Right now I am doin that on a Cat D9 dozer in between other stuff that breaks or gets smashed. When I get pictures of it Ill put em up if anyone is interested.

But yup you done a damn good jpob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Old cutting edges...yup...Old Owen told me once there aint nothin harder than old dozer edges...I use old dozer edges for all kinds of wear plates....I make side cutters for dozer blades using them and sometimes use them on the excavators and loader buckets. Right now I am doin that on a Cat D9 dozer in between other stuff that breaks or gets smashed. When I get pictures of it Ill put em up if anyone is interested.

i for one am very interested in seeing pics of any repairs you got going.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

There is a bunch of stuff needs done on this blade, they ran the livin crap out of it for years, got both sides to do, got to weld new wear bars goin up the blade, but before I do that there some holes need patched and filled in on the skin, when all that's done we gonna flip it upside down and I gotta fix up the mold board and do some patching on the bottom. I work on this when I can, sometimes they get me to run down the pit to the dragline or down to the Demag we were workin on last winter to fix something on one of them. Or its a cracked frame on a haultruck, or somethin busted on one of the xcavators, they got 3 of them and 2 more dozers. Or its something on one of the drills or one of the front end loaders. Busy boys a re happy boys my old man used to say, well I am most definitely busy and lovin it.

They are replacing the undercarriage on this dozer, so I probly will get in on that as well and our line boring guys will most likely have some work too.

Yeah I put up some pics as I go if you fellas wanna see some crazy stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post

Postem up buddy. D9 now that’s a big ole girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Putting a new edge on this bucket for a 330 Cat. 54” edge 2.25” thick. Didn’t quite get it done today but far enough for a few pics.

What kinda preheating did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the lathe for sale also? What is it, does it work, and are you anywhere near the midwest?
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rustin8 View Post
    What kinda preheating did you use?
    I use a 500k btu grass burner torch to preheat with. Usually take it up to around 300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakedaawg View Post
    Is the lathe for sale also? What is it, does it work, and are you anywhere near the midwest?
    In Vermont. I’d sell it but not sure you would be up for the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

He is technically in VT. North, South, and West of KD is New York.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    He is technically in VT. North, South, and West of KD is New York.
    Midwest Vermont

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 500k btu grass burner torch to preheat with. Usually take it up to around 300

Name:  38851149_433661060459079_1227713562588217344_n.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  64413983_231286731161140_1951385740596215808_n.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  176.8 KB
    We bring the tep upto 200c

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rustin8 View Post
    Name:  38851149_433661060459079_1227713562588217344_n.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  64413983_231286731161140_1951385740596215808_n.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  176.8 KB
    We bring the tep upto 200c
    That there is a big ol bucket, nice work you are doing as well

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist