+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil cooler needs to be built up

Post Thanks / Like

oil cooler needs to be built up

OK, I had someone send me a text asking if he Ford 7.3 power stroke oil cooler could be saved... I've never tried to weld up cavitation damage or anything with a used oil cooler, wondering how ya would get it clean as oils gotta be all in the pores of the metal, also anyone got any idea what alloy ford used here are the pics he sent

Name:  -9079115342984475784.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  -3806821394279806587.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  79.3 KB

any ideas, advice etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: oil cooler needs to be built up

Its hard to say what it is made of. I would say its probably got a lot of zinc in it to make it flow in thin sections. It looks to be useless the way it is. The only other option is to use something like Belzona ( I am not sure how it is spelled) it is like an epoxy and is many times used in pumps to protect an area that gets cavitation. Usually when used for that purpose the surface is roughed up to help it stick better. It will also repair the sealing surface .

If it were mine I would probably try striking an arc on it and if it looks good go ahead and weld it. If not I would use the Belzona. As far as getting rid of oil and such out of the metal . The only sure way is to heat it till it stops smoking then clean up the surface by hand or sand blast the surface after heating. The problem is aluminum and aluminum alloys do not give much warning before they melt into a blob so I would use indirect heating and I would stand right there and remove it from the heat as soon as it stops smoking. By indirect heating I mean I would not put a flame directly on it. If you do part of it will probably over heat. I would put it on a hot plate with a piece of 1/4" steel under it and sit and watch it . If it is fairly large you might need to put some insulation over it to keep the heat in but try to make it so you can still see part of it to tell when it stops smoking. A BBQ grill works pretty good too but you have to keep a close eye on it somehow. I would still put a piece of steel under it to keep the flame away from it even in a BBQ grill.

You will find that die cast and investment cast aluminum are dense and not much can get into the pours . The sand cast stuff has more problems with absorbing oil and contaminents. Non the less its better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by thegary; 06-06-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not worth it.
    Replaced 3 on mine when I had it.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what it cost to buy new but if Zap replaced 3 of them on his truck it must not be too expensive . If it is no more than a couple hundred bucks then I agree with Zap. Its not worth messing with. The guy probably thinks it can be fixed for $10.

Post Thanks / Like

If replacement isn't an option I'd go either with the epoxy route or aluminum braze it with Aladdin rod. I'd soak it in acetone for a while either way and rough up the surfaces with a carbide burr. I have had good luck with Aladdin rod, goofy stuff. Heat up the metal till it'll melt the rod, scrub in a layer with a stainless brush till it sticks and then fill it up while keeping the heat on it. If you screw it up just heat up the part enough to melt it and wipe it out with the brush and go to the epoxy method.

Post Thanks / Like

Rock Auto!!!!!
    Welds last longer than Love...

Post Thanks / Like

yea pretty much what I was thinking but figured best to consult larger brain trust before condemning it.... I've never had any issue like that with my 12 valve Cummins and I run that thing like a teenager tryin to impress a girl...

Post Thanks / Like

trying to fix and save a few bucks and then destroying a how many thousand $$ engine when bits and pieces of metal or epoxy start flowing through all the bearings....buy a new one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    trying to fix and save a few bucks and then destroying a how many thousand $$ engine when bits and pieces of metal or epoxy start flowing through all the bearings....buy a new one...
    yep I get it every single day people think I can just reweld something for $5... they dont get just the cost of my insurance alone sets the $75 an hour rate letalone fuel and consumables etc..

they will tell me I charge more than a new this or that costs and I just say yep.. your better off getting a new one I dont need the extra work I stay busy enough as it is..

Post Thanks / Like

My 7.3 just turned over 250,000 miles and the oil cooler does not and has never leaked.
    Of course I change the coolant every spring and use an anti cavitation additive at the same time.
    JUST LIKE THE FACTORY RECOMMENDS!

OK, rant over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    yep I get it every single day people think I can just reweld something for $5... they dont get just the cost of my insurance alone sets the $75 an hour rate letalone fuel and consumables etc..

they will tell me I charge more than a new this or that costs and I just say yep.. your better off getting a new one I dont need the extra work I stay busy enough as it is..
    small factory parts like this will always be cheaper new as they stamp out thousands at a time in high production, the time and labor alone to try and fix it( unless its your own and your time isnt billable)usually cost more than the part, but most people dont understand that concept...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist