+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Replace Tweco TIG Torch on EMP215ic?

Post Thanks / Like

How Replace Tweco TIG Torch on EMP215ic?

I have the EMP215ic and have been MIG welding for a while but I now want to use the TIG. I'm not a fan of the Tweco TIG (SR-17V) torch that came with it, so I've decided to replace it with a CK9. However, I can't figure out how to remove the Tweco torch head from the cable. When I pull back the handle I don't see the brass fittings. Is the torch head not replaceable? BTW, I did get the foot pedal free as part of the promo.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Replace Tweco TIG Torch on EMP215ic?

I would think that because it has the remote built into the molded handle, it was never meant to come apart to be reconfigured.

At least that's the impression I got when I looked into this torch set up, and a big reason why I elected to go with a CK Flex head for my 285ic.
    Just say, Know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx! I'm a little confused with the CK power cable. Where does the gas line go?

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on where the gas comes from the welder/bottle.

If your machine is like mine, then it comes off the front of the machine.

So the CK torch will need to have a gas pigtail that comes out of the dinse connector.

The first torch pictured in the link below, should be the one you are looking for.

https://www.ckworldwide.com/dinse-gas-cooled.html

Your machine plugged into 230V has a max TIG out put of 180amps. But the CK9 torch is rated for 125amps. Is there a reason you don't want to go with a CK17(150amps), or a CK26(200amps), thus not being limited by your torch rating?

A higher rated torch can still be used for low amperage welding, but your CK9 will be limited to 125amps if you want to push it's duty cycle.

EDIT: Looking at the ESAB page for the 215ic, it looks like your machine does not have a TIG gas port on the front of the machine. So it is either a flow through design (gas comes through the dinse connector), or if it does not has a gas solenoid in the machine, the gas comes straight from the bottle.

If it is the first, then you will need a flow through dinse connector. Which is the second torch configuration in the link above.

If it is the second configuration you will need the first style of torch, but you will need a torch head with a valve on the head.
    Last edited by Flat_Bastard; 06-21-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: More info
    Just say, Know.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points there. I'll mainly TIG sheet metal, so it was either the CK9 or 17. On the occasions where I have to do thicker pieces, I can go back to the original Tweco SR-17 or either MIG it or stick it. I did get a chance to go to the CK web site and also talk directly with a tech (very helpful, btw). I do need the DINSE connector (CK SL2-35 SafeLoc Male Dinse 35) with threaded connections, and a single power cable (CK 57Y01RSF Power Cable 12-1/2' 1 Piece SuperFlex) with the threaded connectors.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard CK tech is super helpful.

I would highly recommend going with the flex head torch if you are getting a new one anyway. It really helps to get the position you need.

I would also recommend getting a torch lead cover. To me the SuperFlex power cable though really flexible and easy on the hand, is pretty vulnerable to getting burned or abraded from normal shop activity.
    Just say, Know.

Post Thanks / Like

Call htp or gamble whose a member on here they both sell ck torches I believe and will know what you need, a cover on the air cooled superflex seems kind of counter productive just be a little cautious

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    Call htp or gamble whose a member on here they both sell ck torches I believe and will know what you need, a cover on the air cooled superflex seems kind of counter productive just be a little cautious
    I'm pretty sure when they say air cooled, what they actually mean is gas cooled. So the argon flowing through the hose around the power conductor and through the torch head is what is actually cooling the torch.

Being a little cautious in this case may save you from melting your SuperFlex power cable. The cost of a cover is a bit less than replacing cables and the time waiting for it to arrive.

Ask me how I know.
    Just say, Know.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully understand that air/gas, I've been heliarc welding for 30+ years and never burned a cable while welding no matter the crazy position, putting a cover on a "superflex gas/air" cable in most cases makes no sense, guess I'm lucky, the 20-22 foot cover for a 25 foot water cooled I leave the 5 foot before the torch uncovered more flexibility, and honestly ck torches are overrated in my opinion the speedway or who ever makes them are nicer, I would have to look up the exact brand or model

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Bastard View Post
    I have heard CK tech is super helpful.

I would highly recommend going with the flex head torch if you are getting a new one anyway. It really helps to get the position you need.

I would also recommend getting a torch lead cover. To me the SuperFlex power cable though really flexible and easy on the hand, is pretty vulnerable to getting burned or abraded from normal shop activity.
    X2 on the flex head. For me the standard torch angle is difficult to manitulate. With the flex head I tip the head back as far as it will go and that makes my tig welding much more natural. As far as the ESAB torch is concerned, You can buy a suitable torch for the same cost that you could sell the ESAB torch for. just do it.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist