+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Optrel Crystal 2.0

I just made a purchase for a new welder and had the option of getting an Optrel Crystal 2.0 for an awesome price so I went ahead and made the purchase blindly and looked it up after the fact. I like the looks of it and wanted to get some real world feedback from people that have it and or have used one. Do you like it? How much better is the clarity and color? I have seen a couple people say that it is brighter and had to shade it a little more than normal.

Any input would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optrel Crystal 2.0

I have that. Great clarity, quality problem. Pay attention to the flickering red LED light when you are grinding so that you don’t get flushed when you switch back to welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water-cooled torch • Lincoln PowerMig 210MP • Hypertherm PowerMax 45XP • Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

What quality issues have you been experiencing?

Post Thanks / Like

None. This is a high-quality well executed Product. I think of the concept of “quality” is not assessed the same way at that level of engineering and execution as one would have with the Harbor Freight type stuff commonly discussed on forums.

That said, I think that there are personal preferences such as comfort of the headgear, which some people have mentioned on various forms. I did not experience that problem, so I can’t comment. Sometimes the headgear can be loose when the helmet is lifted so you need to tighten the band a bit.

HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water-cooled torch • Lincoln PowerMig 210MP • Hypertherm PowerMax 45XP • Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenbro View Post
    I have that. Great clarity, quality problem. Pay attention to the flickering red LED light when you are grinding so that you don’t get flushed when you switch back to welding.

Sorry i see Now where your question comes from. I misstyped on my phone. Apologies. I have no quality problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, ok, all good! I was hoping there wasn't a quality issue with it but you never know...

Thanks for your review. Mine should be here this Friday or next Monday and can't wait to try it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it's about the environment too.

I had a super busy Summer last year, and was skipping between welding, and working in the field,,,,,,or trying to work in the field. Was the reason for all the welding.

Anyways...….usually I put my hood up in the house when done. Air conditioned.

Last year, I just hung the thing by the door, on the air manifold from the compressor...….and left it out there overnite for days on end. On top of this, it was extremely hot, and I had a lot of sweat dripping inside the hood when working.

Long story short...…………………………………..The dam spring that holds the batteries in place corroded. The one on the positive side of the battery.

Now, with no warning, the hood will shut down, and I get flashed. It's the corrosion on the terminals/spring.

I tried putting some abrasive paper up in there, and rotating it. It's inside a tube sorta thing, and you can't really get to it. Sorta helped, but once corrosion sets in, it's pretty permanent thing to deal with.

So now, I gotta give the hood a little smack once in a while to jiggle the batteries so that they make contact properly.

I won't switch hoods. I love the Jackson. It's the only one that gives true real colors. The puddle isn't a green blob, or a blue blob...…...it's the color of molten metal. Yellows, oranges, blacks...…….it's why they call it the True Sight.

And, as expected...……...ya can't get to the spring to replace it. It's all sealed up in the unit. Typical new age crap...…...non serviceable.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Vega view 2.5, I was unaware they made a 2.0, let me tell you the 2.5 is pretty awesome, the 2.0 will be even better,

I'll say this, if you ever do a lot of heavy welding, ie: spray arc, you'll find that shade 12 isn't dark enough

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have a small update... I ended up getting the Optrel Crystal 2.0 and have used it a few times for a few minutes here & there and so far I am really happy with it! I bought a brand new Lincoln Powermig 256 and got the helmet for half off. Sadly I've only welded about 4" with the Powermig but have tig welded several steel & stainless steel items and absolutely love the Crystal 2.0 so far with the minimal amount that I've used it.

Post Thanks / Like

So here we have my Crystal 2.0. In terms of clarity, it is the closest thing to a perfect welding hood there is.

The "shade 2" of the Crystal 2.0 is very deceiving. I would call it "shade 0.5", as there is practically nothing there! The e684 is like 10x as dark! The other hood that I have is what I would call a real shade 2 is the HTP Striker CSV (even though it is rated 3, it is significantly ligher than the e684 in the un-darkened state).

I was using it yesterday, and I realized I have to retrain my brain! I keep thinking that, even though the hood is down, that I don't even have my hood on and for a split second it freaks me out right before I strike the arc. Its like one of those "oh schit! I almost blinded myself ! Where is my welding helmet!!" kinda reactions! It is stupid-nice! I recommend this helmet over any welder or welding product/consumable ever.

You think you're happy. Until you try the Crystal 2.0, you wont realize just how miserable you are! :lol:

So I fired up the Invertig 400 to test out the Crystal 2.0 at high-amp TIG. Right now it will output a max of 350A since it is still on 1-Φ power. I tested 250A, 300A, 350A. At 350A, the tip of the tungsten is still discernible, but just barely. I prefer to see the tip of the tungsten 100%; I don't like it when it is obscured by the arc light being too bright.

For my eyes, I would say 350A on DC is the absolute max I'd want to use with the 2.0, unless you put on some sunglasses. It is tolerable for a little bit, but I suspect it might be too bright after about 30 seconds or so. So IMO, the Crystal 2.0 has a realistic upper limit of 275-300A DC, depending on your eyes. I haven't tried aluminum yet, but since it is usually brighter, I'm going to guesstimate 250-275A for AC TIG. I don't think that's big deal for the clarity you are getting. I'm just gonna order some cheapie polarized sunglasses off ebay to see if I can get away with 400A later when I have 3-Φ; just have to add a little darkness to it.

Based on a recommendation, I downloaded an app that uses my phone's light sensor to measure lux, and recorded these values:

Optrel Crystal 2.0: 160
    Optrel e684: 24
    HTP Striker CSV: 68

Not scientific by any means, just some basic data to go by. But as you can see, it lets more than double the light than my Striker CSV that is rated at 3 in the un-darkened state. As good as the e684 is, it is a lot darker in the light-state, but it's advantage is that it is rated 1 on angular dependence where the Crystal 2.0 is rated 2, and it darkens up to 13. I ordered some polarized sunglasses off Ebay to see if I can't get it to play nice with high-amperage. Just needs to be a smidge darker and it would be perfect for high amp arcs.
    Last edited by Oscar; 06-07-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

11. Likes scsmith42, shovelon, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post by Oscar above.

I’ve had a Crystal 2.0 for a few months. The clarity is absolutely astounding. My other hood’s include an Optrel E684, a Lincoln Viking, and several older hoods.

The Crystal 2.0 blows everything else away.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

retrofitted Miller head gear. Officially the best piece of welding equipment I own, bar none.

14. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got some cheap $10 polarized sunglasses. Only been doing plasma cutting, but they seem to do the trick to darken everything +2 shade levels. I usually plasma cut at Shade 6, but wearing the sunglasses (first, before I put on my regular prescription eyeglasses, as the other way around doesn't work well for whatever reason), I ended up turning it all the way down to shade 4, and it appears identical to Shade 6-before-the-sunglasses. Of course you do lose the ultra-light undarkened state because you are wearing the sunglasses, but I have a feeling that 300A+ welding will no longer be an issue. Also the true-color artifact stays unaffected with sunglasses. Everything is just as crisp and clear as before, just approx ~2 shades darker.

Post Thanks / Like

I use similar for O/A and plasma but I’m not certain what number shade(s) they are. Got them from LWS and they weren’t ten bucks but not much more.

I also have the Selstrom Covid Special when it’s impossible to social distance in the shop.

:

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

need to buy a new helmet and seriously considering the crystal 2.0 but having a hard time justifying the price at 50% of a harbor freight protig 205 for just a helmet .
    any sales coming up?

Post Thanks / Like

Cheaper by the doz... was checking for Cdn. pricing when I found this one at $989.... but only $791 if you order 2 or more.... https://www.tenaquip.com/product/cry...iABEgIkivD_BwE

Found this one on sale for $627 Cdn. .... not sure what pricing you're finding, but if they export to the US your fat dollar might make that a good buy even there....

https://canadaweldingsupply.ca/produ...yABEgKbc_D_BwE
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    need to buy a new helmet and seriously considering the crystal 2.0 but having a hard time justifying the price at 50% of a harbor freight protig 205 for just a helmet .
    any sales coming up?
    This is what it looks like through the lens in the undarkened-state. Almost like clear glass.

The prosecution rests, your Honor. No further witnesses are needed.

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Cheaper by the doz... was checking for Cdn. pricing when I found this one at $989.... but only $791 if you order 2 or more.... https://www.tenaquip.com/product/cry...iABEgIkivD_BwE

Found this one on sale for $627 Cdn. .... not sure what pricing you're finding, but if they export to the US your fat dollar might make that a good buy even there....

https://canadaweldingsupply.ca/produ...yABEgKbc_D_BwE
    I’ve seen those on Canada Weld. Not for me. I’ll pass.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

optrel mentions 4 to 12 darkening and you mention that 12 is a bit light once over 300A welding.
    they also mention an auto or manual of +/- 2 shades,wouldn't this mean it could potentially go to shade 14 then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    optrel mentions 4 to 12 darkening and you mention that 12 is a bit light once over 300A welding.
    they also mention an auto or manual of +/- 2 shades,wouldn't this mean it could potentially go to shade 14 then?
    No, the way it works is that there is ± 2 shades on Auto-Pilot, not on manual shade selection. See, you can't set the fixed shade level on Auto-Pilot because then that defeats the purpose of the helmet being able to adjust itself based on arc intensity. In other words, on Auto-Pilot, you can't set it to "12" and then go +2. "12" is already the "+2". On Auto-Pilot, you set a relative shade level, where Neutral (N) is roughly equal to 9/10. From N you have ±2, so say you set it at +2. What happens is that you're telling the helmet you prefer a shade 12 already, so it darkens to that state "earlier" with less amperage (arc intensity). Going higher in arc intensity doesn't do anymore for it's already 2 steps ahead of N, at the max of 12. Hopefully that makes sense.

25. Likes filetobeef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I’ve seen those on Canada Weld. Not for me. I’ll pass.
    Pourquoi? Bad experiences with the site, is there something I'm missing on the quality of the helmet offered there compared to others, or just more than you would normally spend on a helmet? Even their sale price is almost double anything I own.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

27. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Crystal 2.0 work for TIG welding aluminum, since it only supports up to shade 12?

I am planning to learn how to TIG weld, mild steel and aluminum. I have some experience MIG welding automotive stuff, but totally new to TIG. I am wondering if the Crystal 2.0 will be usable for TIG welding aluminum? I am concerned that it only goes up to shade 12, and with TIG being pretty bright I was wondering if it will not be dark enough. I am also considering Optrel e684, Lincoln Viking 3550 and Miller Digital Elite. Cost is not a consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

First time I struck an arc with my crystal 2.0, I went on a road trip two states over to retrieve my socks. Expensive trip and expensive helmet. Hahahaha! Best lens so far on the planet .
    Sanrex Sanstick 140s(wtl 140)
    Primeweld 225x
    Coolmate 3
    Primeweld Cut50
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 acdc
    Miller Shopmate 300( best wire arc!co2!)
    Miller 8vs
    Miller s22p12
    Everlast 210stl
    Powcon 300sm

30. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen View Post
    Will Crystal 2.0 work for TIG welding aluminum, since it only supports up to shade 12?

I am planning to learn how to TIG weld, mild steel and aluminum. I have some experience MIG welding automotive stuff, but totally new to TIG. I am wondering if the Crystal 2.0 will be usable for TIG welding aluminum? I am concerned that it only goes up to shade 12, and with TIG being pretty bright I was wondering if it will not be dark enough. I am also considering Optrel e684, Lincoln Viking 3550 and Miller Digital Elite. Cost is not a consideration.
    It will be fine, up to my estimated guess of 275A-ish, maybe 300A, depending on your eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It will be fine, up to my estimated guess of 275A-ish, maybe 300A, depending on your eyes.
    Thanks! The max amperage that my TIG welder is capable of is 225, so I should be all set. I ordered Crystal 2.0, can't wait to try it out.

33. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist