Thread: New Miller 255 dead. Is there a reset?

Post Thanks / Like

New Miller 255 dead. Is there a reset?

We have a fairly new Miller Multimatic 255 in the shop waiting for a technician. It would be great to get this thing up and running ASAP

Plug it in. Power the switch on.... nothing... no lights, no screen, no gas flow. Just dead. It worked for a few minutes and nothing

Advice would be appreciated if anybody knows a trick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Miller 255 dead. Is there a reset?

Go.fish

Quote Originally Posted by Go.fish View Post
    . . . Plug it in. Power the switch on.... nothing... no lights, no screen, no gas flow. Just dead . . .
    Start: with the 'simple first' - what is your plug voltage - what is your machine voltage . . . ?

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

New Miller 255 dead. Is there a reset?

No reset that I’m aware of .....I’m sure you’ve already checked the breakers.....here’s what the book says

Place line disconnect switch in On position.

Check and replace line fuse(s), if necessary, or reset supplementary protector.

Be sure power cord is plugged in and that receptacle is receiving input power.

post up what was found after the tech looks it over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by bellaireroad; 06-26-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert at all when it comes to welder repairs but a voltmeter will provide a valuable info. After what Opus stated (hopefully you haven't cooked the unit), and if everything looks good socket voltage VS machine voltage wise, pop the cover and start chasing that power.

Could be as stupid as a loose connection, or damaged cable (that you cannot see)

When did it stop working?

Post Thanks / Like

Update. The machine was replaced with a new unit under warranty.
    It was plugged into the same outlets that all the other welders and plasma cutters in the shop use.
    Sounded like a blown relay inside
    594v input is what the new machine says. Hopefully this one lasts much longer than 5mins!

Post Thanks / Like

594v input is what the new machine says.
    Do you have a 3-phase version?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  MM255.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  37.8 KB
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Name:  MM255.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  37.8 KB
    Exactly why I ask where the 594V number is coming from, as there is only a 1-phase version listed on the Miller website, and those higher input voltages are usually paired up with 3-phase power.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Voltage input and phase is just a recommendation, just make sure the green is to ground, I thought everyone knew that?

Pretty sure they make an auto line version in the 255 that will run on single or three phase.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, TD 60i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Exactly why I ask where the 594V number is coming from, as there is only a 1-phase version listed on the Miller website, and those higher input voltages are usually paired up with 3-phase power.
    Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Voltage input and phase is just a recommendation, just make sure the green is to ground, I thought everyone knew that?

Pretty sure they make an auto line version in the 255 that will run on single or three phase.
    Yes this is a Multimatic (907728) not the Millermatic. It’s says Auto-line 208v to 575v single phase. Perhaps a slight overvoltage? Or 3 phase instead of single? The new welder works, it just did several hours or stainless wire the other day, same plug ins. Will look into whether the plugs are single or 3 phase. It came supplied with the same style 4 pin “powertite” style plug end which is what all the other welders use, though I believe only 3 wires come from this welder and has 3 pins connected in the plug.

Post Thanks / Like

oh ok, got it.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that's some scary stuff. Brand new machine under warranty...……….AND THANK GOD FOR THE WARRANTY. Yeah, I say "brand new" but anything under a few years old is brand new in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this is a Multimatic (907728) not the Millermatic. It’s says Auto-line 208v to 575v single phase. Perhaps a slight overvoltage? Or 3 phase instead of single? The new welder works, it just did several hours or stainless wire the other day, same plug ins. Will look into whether the plugs are single or 3 phase. It came supplied with the same style 4 pin “powertite” style plug end which is what all the other welders use, though I believe only 3 wires come from this welder and has 3 pins connected in the plug.
    It is single phase so it would ever only be two hots and a ground. 3 wires total is correct and normal single phase connection. whether 208, 240, 480 or 575 it is from two phases never from a neutral and a phase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    It is single phase so it would ever only be two hots and a ground. 3 wires total is correct and normal single phase connection. whether 208, 240, 480 or 575 it is from two phases never from a neutral and a phase.
    Cool, so still a bit of a mystery. Turns out this is the 3rd attempt at this machine. 2 units packed it in right away. At least they honour the warranty for sure.
    Side note...
    I bought a brand new Miller 220 AC/DC a month ago for personal use and it came out of the box with a pretty bent bottom panel. Side door wouldn’t open. Miller says contact seller...seller says contact Miller...Miller says contact seller. NOTHING in the end. I even offered to install and new bottom myself, or perhaps send some consumables in lieu... NOTHING.
    Wouldn’t expect a customer to deal with shipping damage. But apparently Miller cares less about private buyers?

Post Thanks / Like

You buy it online?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    You buy it online?
    No bought the 220 local from “Praxair”

Post Thanks / Like

No bought the 220 local from “Praxair”
    I'm surprised a bricks and mortar place would treat you like that. When I bought the new HH-190, it came with a bent base panel, and wouldn't sit level. Guy shipped it back, and got me a new one.

Cutmaster had an issue too. Torch pins, or something, didn't work right. He took another torch from one in stock, and swapped it out for me. I guess he did his return on his end to replace the stock torch.

I personally think it's because I'm such a friendly, charming, entertaining guy (K'kins says that they probably draw straws to see who has to wait on me when I go in there...……….the loser gets me) She can be a real comedian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I'm surprised a bricks and mortar place would treat you like that. When I bought the new HH-190, it came with a bent base panel, and wouldn't sit level. Guy shipped it back, and got me a new one.

Cutmaster had an issue too. Torch pins, or something, didn't work right. He took another torch from one in stock, and swapped it out for me. I guess he did his return on his end to replace the stock torch.

I personally think it's because I'm such a friendly, charming, entertaining guy (K'kins says that they probably draw straws to see who has to wait on me when I go in there...……….the loser gets me) She can be a real comedian.
    Totally! How they think shipping damage is my problem is shocking. They even loaded into the back of my SUV and the box had no damage on the bottom. Assuming the reason Miller didn’t step up to fix the issue is that the store was probably supposed to inspect it before handing it over to me but they must not have done a diligent inspection on it.
    Was just shopping at another local store yesterday (I won’t be going back to Praxair ever) and the guy there said they had a similar issue and just sent it to the local warranty shop and had it repaired up under warranty.
    Now that I know where this warranty shop is will pop by there next week and see if they can help
    To be a “little” fair Praxair said sorry they couldn’t help and offered a free tank refill next time. Problem is it will take me possibly years to use a tank as it’s just a hobby welder and would rather have a $4000 welder fixed that $80 in free gas

True Blue warranty must be a very selective term. And Praxair is being bought by Linde soon? So maybe they don’t care