+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why would you waste money on a 3/4 or 1 ton

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you waste money on a 3/4 or 1 ton

When a half ton will carry a pallet of concrete just fine? For some reason the pic taken from high up doesn't look as bad as when you are standing beside it. As they began to pull away I could hear tire tread scraping on the fenders
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why would you waste money on a 3/4 or 1 ton

Let me Guess ....

"La Casa construction" LLC

no habla englese
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a low rider before the weight in the bed. If he had a headache rack he could put more of the weight near the rear window that would make it squat less

Post Thanks / Like

These newer trucks aren't much for carrying loads, my old 77' f150 could easily haul a pallet of concrete and then some!!!

One of the HD's up here actually has a dodge 3500 with cummins you can rent by the hour.

Post Thanks / Like

....trailer....mo' betta'
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    ....trailer....mo' betta'
    Truck will handle way better and pull it easier.the way I think about it is it’s easier to put your friend in a red wagon and pull him vs put him on your back

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of funny around here all the big guys are switching to superdumps to get away from all the trailer hassles/costs/waste and every landscaper and his buddy are getting the biggest trailers they can put behind a pickup.... all while the DOT is having a field day with all the non-cdl trailer haulers that don't understand the 10k rule on trailers So all these heavy equipment wannabees are dumping all this money into rigs and trailers they thought could get them around the CDL requirements and the first time they get DOL'ed they find out the bad news that they're SOL !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I look at these guys...……...we got 'em around here too. "La Casa LLC" may be low dollar, but they're out there humpin'. Can't get Bubba outta the bar long enuff to do any work. Bubba generally expects the World on a platter. I'm sure ya got those types where you live.

Irish got off the boat around the Turn of the Century...…...went to work in the slaughter houses, and other crap jobs. Lot went into masonry work...…...low dollar, high labor, stuff. Now they own the concrete premix companies...…...same with the Italians. Take a look at whose names are on the sides of those trucks ya see.

Everybody works for nuthin' when they first get here. Trouble is...………….THEY GOT ALL OF US WORKIN' FOR NUTHIN' NOWDAYS. Ain't the people doin' the work, it's the people who write the paychecks.

Your labor ain't worth squat, unless you can sit in front of a keyboard, and write code. And, even that, is turning into a "Gig Economy"...…….surprise......ya just became an entrepreneur………….you be self employed now. Do the job, and GTF out the door friend...……...Yeah....wonderful where we're goin'

Post Thanks / Like

And, you ain't seen nuthin' yet...……...wait till they get the "artificial intelligence" thing up and running. We're all going to be out of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I look at these guys...……...we got 'em around here too. "La Casa LLC" may be low dollar, but they're out there humpin'. Can't get Bubba outta the bar long enuff to do any work. Bubba generally expects the World on a platter. I'm sure ya got those types where you live.

Irish got off the boat around the Turn of the Century...…...went to work in the slaughter houses, and other crap jobs. Lot went into masonry work...…...low dollar, high labor, stuff. Now they own the concrete premix companies...…...same with the Italians. Take a look at whose names are on the sides of those trucks ya see.

Everybody works for nuthin' when they first get here. Trouble is...………….THEY GOT ALL OF US WORKIN' FOR NUTHIN' NOWDAYS. Ain't the people doin' the work, it's the people who write the paychecks.

Your labor ain't worth squat, unless you can sit in front of a keyboard, and write code. And, even that, is turning into a "Gig Economy"...…….surprise......ya just became an entrepreneur………….you be self employed now. Do the job, and GTF out the door friend...……...Yeah....wonderful where we're goin'
    Don't forget the mafia.... that helped a *lot* in getting certain guys where they are today

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind when they stick to what they know and do it right, but many will attempt to do things they don't understand including electrical and plumbing, and charge for it.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I don't mind when they stick to what they know and do it right, but many will attempt to do things they don't understand including electrical and plumbing, and charge for it.
    I see that a lot!!!! joe blow and hose 'a' start up an excavating business and undercut the heck out of us!!!! so they are working hard doing the jobs that we as 'americans' don't want to do (for nuthin') then we get calls about fixing a job ....someone'''' did wrong..... give em' a bid and they start in with how these other guys are so much cheaper well ya' get what ya' pay for....

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, I put a pallet of concrete on my homebuilt pickup bed trailer & towed it over 80 miles with no problems, I put 4500 lb springs with a 1 1/2 square drop axle with a truss, it did great, but I built this trailer to haul our firewood, it would pack a cord of green oak home for use in our air tight stove.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Cord of green oak is about 5500 pounds. That stuff is dense. Walnut is super heavy also but Uber light when dry

Post Thanks / Like

He's doing it wrong. Fords have been notorious for soft rear leaf springs since the 1970s at least which is why I've modded and replaced mine.

I have the same F150 extended cab but with Hellwig overload leaves, Timbren urethane springs (which don't leak like air bags), and coilover rear shocks. That combo doesn't conflict and is easy to install.

It also has a steel Tommy Gate hung off the back (talk about weight on the very azz end!) and didn't squat with a Bridgeport in the bed. Every working pickup should have a liftgate because they're insanely useful. The 4.2 six (avoid those, the 4.6 is basically immortal) hydrolocked at 230K so it just got a used engine as the rest of the truck is excellent.

My '76'-77 F100 (F100 cab, F250 chassis with F350 spring pack and added overload leaves off a Chevy C-50 which ride just touching the stops (extended with some box tube) instead of permitting unloaded squat, an old wrecker trick) is even stouter.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-11-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

i'm seeing quite a few punjabis and sikhs working the trowels and floats while doing some very decent residential work. imo the sons of the italians and irish who usually do this work aren't carrying on the family tradition and opt for higher education and less heavy lifting.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

If these contractors Gross $150k annually.
    And pay $30K for material
    0 income tax because they only file on $10k they were 1099ed for which result's in getting more for earned income than they paid in.
    They qulify for Medicaid,food stamps,houseing subsidy,free school lunches and other welfare. They do well even while undercutting competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Really, why Waste money on a 1 ton when u can have one this for the same or less than a pickup. Insurance is cheaper on one of these than adding a second vehicle to my personal auto policy.

Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist