+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Eagle Project

Post Thanks / Like

Stainless Eagle Project

Howdy mates,

Appreciate the privilege to be here with all you skilled craftsmen and everyone in love with the art of welding.
    I thought I would gather curage and in all modesty share my latest project as I started last week on welding an Eagle together in 100% stainless steel.
    (I plan to put it on top of this summers project that I been at since it started thawing outside)

Oh I should prolly introduce myself here, Swede here, have absolutely no schooling in metalwork or such. (I saw the premiere episode of Futurama and decided I needed to weld a robot = Bender from Futurama)
    I live in a small 2 room apartment, dont have a garage/owned any tools until quite recently.
    I have a small portable bench and a chair in the trunk and I go to any friend or "equaintant light" to borrow the powerplug on their driveway and their welder. (Last summer I got my first own welding machine)
    I humbly apologize for my poor english skills and my humble means hobbydoodling.

Name:  20190812_212208.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  51.4 KB
    Quacko, the angry bird

Some people sneek peaked at my progress and hazzled me that it had to small eyes.
    I seldom listen to any feedback until I finished a piece but in this case I can't tell an parrot apart from an osterage so I listened and popped in the next size marbles... is it just me or does Quacko look a lot like Marty Feldman?

Name:  20190812_212247.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  76.5 KB
    Birdie-num-num
    Now fumbling the base together I realize that Quackos body looks like that of a frozen chicken at the supermarket?
    And that neck would probably get any giraffe interested in ornitology...

Well I sure hope it will improve when I start "fluffing" up the structure.
    Oh yes, I built an grid from stainless wire to get a vague idea of the posture because I wanted something modestly dynamic.
    Dressed the grid with small pieces of Stainless that I banged out with a ballhammer/bent with a Wrench.
    I cut the wings from a piece of U bent tubing about + 30cm in diameter (guesstimate 12 inches), draw an outline on the tubing at a "V" angled point of attack.
    (Figured that gave me some starting points that felt easier to start fine-bending in to wanted shape. In particular since I dont have a bench mounted vice)
    The base of the wings and the feathers are somewhere around 5-6 mm thick acidresistant stainless steel. (5 millimeter = 0,2 inches)

I'll update if anyone of you mates are interested in the progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stainless Eagle Project

I'm liking what I'm seeing. And yes, Marty Feldman is in there!

Post Thanks / Like

Silverbullit, you sir are an outstanding artist. Working that out with minimal tools is quite impressive, congratulations!!
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice

Post Thanks / Like

very nice work but looks more like my macaw when it's dinner is late.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your awesome feedback mates, I really appreciate your opinions!

Project Eagle has come along a bit further.
    Most interesting thing that happened yesterday evening (2200ish) was when I zapped myself something fierce.
    Esabs welding helmet is not working properly and I basically look at the workpiece, flap the visir down and weld in the dark.
    Somewhere along there the 0,8mm SS wire stabbed through my leather glowe in to my left indexfingers top joint while I apparantly happened to touch the welding clamp with my right elbow Z A P !
    Dangit, that was a new sensation, felt like somebody kicked me in the chest and set my balls on fire *h o l y c r e p e*
    Well I crawled back up on to my chair like any pubnight and noticed that lightning zap wasnt enough juice to lit up my crappy welding helmet.
    So I stared in to the dark and just tried my best to avoid repeating that taze myself trick and fumbled along.
    Heres wuzzup so far,

Name:  004_fluffy giraffeneck.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  74.4 KB
    Started dressing that rubberchicken gooseneck

Name:  005_other angle giraffe neck fluffed.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  74.2 KB
    Welded the supports of the wings and plugged the holes in the (frozen chicken?) body.
    Fumbled with "fluffing" out those Wings

Name:  006_leg-fluff.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  93.6 KB
    The stilt-legs being "feathered" fleshed out or what it is called?

Name:  007_talons of the rubberchicken.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  76.1 KB
    Gimme five, no wait three? No four!
    Talons creation

And some random details,
    the depth is about 60cm
    the height is around 70cm
    the wingspan is closer to 1 meter (90:ish cm)

Thanks again for your feedback mates!
    It is a real motivation kicker, so double thanks on behalf of both me and Quacko, I mean, the Eagle project!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    I'm liking what I'm seeing. And yes, Marty Feldman is in there!
    Yes I knew it! And hey, thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    Silverbullit, you sir are an outstanding artist. Working that out with minimal tools is quite impressive, congratulations!!
    Thanks mate for that kind input, made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    Very nice
    Thanks mate, appreciate your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    very nice work but looks more like my macaw when it's dinner is late.
    Haha Doc, remind me to never mess with your macaw!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here we go, *WOHOO*

Name:  008_Tremble with fear, Quacko.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  64.7 KB
    BOH!!! Scary picture... wings, neck'n legs fluffed up.
    - Tremble with fear! Quacko

Name:  009_Spreadin'm wings.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  70.4 KB
    Some additional fluff added

Name:  010_****ty background.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  69.7 KB
    Another angle of the same, but with ****ty background

Hmm those pictures looks like the dark ages, sry mates

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a brighter pic,

Name:  011_Wing fluff.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  102.3 KB
    Began cleaning up wings from spatter and ****ty welds. (Shouldnt blame it on anything, but I cant see anything except darkness in my fairly new welding helmet and I noticed it sure does'nt help much towards perfect welds. )

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, sh*tty welds and all. Your welds will get better with practise.
    I think sh*tty welds don't really matter with art like this. You have to watch it from a distance, not close up.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Heres a brighter pic,

Name:  011_Wing fluff.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  102.3 KB
    Began cleaning up wings from spatter and ****ty welds. (Shouldnt blame it on anything, but I cant see anything except darkness in my fairly new welding helmet and I noticed it sure does'nt help much towards perfect welds. )
    that looks like one angry bird. your excellent sculpture could be a trophy for philippine sabong championship.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

that looks like one angry bird. your excellent sculpture could be a trophy for philippine sabong championship.
    Haha, yeah true, he looks like he's flippin out.

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    I like it, sh*tty welds and all. Your welds will get better with practise.
    I think sh*tty welds don't really matter with art like this. You have to watch it from a distance, not close up.
    Thanks mate for the trust and kind words. I've been cheating (= uneducated welds) through some crappy projects and I consider sharing a few despite knowing better.

Time for a modest update,
    It's been raining here like crazy so I have not been able to clearcoat the entire doodiddelythingy.
    Heres a bad pic of the base for the Eagle (THAT base took me most of the summer to make because it is in one piece and draggin that thing around was just... wow for my bad back)
    Worst today was when my parents showed up to help me roll this thing out of an garage and my mom hit her head and really cut her scalp like bad, an inch long cut, tried to take parents to the emergency but the are stubborn and refused... of course.
    I simply stopped arguing, cleaned the wound and got my sis whos basically has a small zoo and more or less is half vet to check and dress the wound. It ended up o.k.
    Anyway, sorry for going off topic, heres the base for the Eagle.
    Name:  012_Stand for Quacko.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  129.4 KB
    I will either weld the eagle in a nest made from the SS wire on the floor to the left in the pic w pherhaps chicks (not girls but the small birdie-num-num's)
    or
    like he is landing on a branch and prolly holding sumthin in his claws.

Name:  014_Fish.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  109.4 KB
    I'll try making a fish and I F it turns out reasonably not to crappy I'll go with alternative "fish".

Name:  015_fish.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  99.6 KB
    Does this make me a grinder and not a welder? *blushing*
    I had an idea I want to try, if I polish the fish as much as possible and then heat spots to get some of them rainbow colors in to it.
    Well if I can find something to spot heat it with, just learned the gasol (portable gas for camping) does nothing to reach high enough temps to colorize SS. :/

Name:  016_fish.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  112.2 KB
    Beginning to wish I had studied fishes closer, really hard to create something on the spot from the mind... Making space for some marbles for eyes

Name:  017_fish.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  69.0 KB
    These marbles are just balanced in place temporarily (cracked and missing pieces) liked the red tone, dunno if I can find a matching set in decent shape.

Tomorrow will be assembly and spraypainting if weather allows.
    Got some 2 component clearcoat and that will be interesting as I have virtually zero experience in spraypainting.

Have a nice day mates, I'll keep the updates coming if you want to see the finished thingie.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, yeah true, he looks like he's flippin out.

Thanks mate for the trust and kind words. I've been cheating (= uneducated welds) through some crappy projects and I consider sharing a few despite knowing better.

Time for a modest update,
    It's been raining here like crazy so I have not been able to clearcoat the entire doodiddelythingy.
    Heres a bad pic of the base for the Eagle (THAT base took me most of the summer to make because it is in one piece and draggin that thing around was just... wow for my bad back)
    Worst today was when my parents showed up to help me roll this thing out of an garage and my mom hit her head and really cut her scalp like bad, an inch long cut, tried to take parents to the emergency but the are stubborn and refused... of course.
    I simply stopped arguing, cleaned the wound and got my sis whos basically has a small zoo and more or less is half vet to check and dress the wound. It ended up o.k.
    Anyway, sorry for going off topic, heres the base for the Eagle.
    Name:  012_Stand for Quacko.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  129.4 KB
    I will either weld the eagle in a nest made from the SS wire on the floor to the left in the pic w pherhaps chicks (not girls but the small birdie-num-num's)
    or
    like he is landing on a branch and prolly holding sumthin in his claws.

Name:  014_Fish.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  109.4 KB
    I'll try making a fish and I F it turns out reasonably not to crappy I'll go with alternative "fish".

Name:  015_fish.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  99.6 KB
    Does this make me a grinder and not a welder? *blushing*
    I had an idea I want to try, if I polish the fish as much as possible and then heat spots to get some of them rainbow colors in to it.
    Well if I can find something to spot heat it with, just learned the gasol (portable gas for camping) does nothing to reach high enough temps to colorize SS. :/

Name:  016_fish.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  112.2 KB
    Beginning to wish I had studied fishes closer, really hard to create something on the spot from the mind... Making space for some marbles for eyes

Name:  017_fish.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  69.0 KB
    These marbles are just balanced in place temporarily (cracked and missing pieces) liked the red tone, dunno if I can find a matching set in decent shape.

Tomorrow will be assembly and spraypainting if weather allows.
    Got some 2 component clearcoat and that will be interesting as I have virtually zero experience in spraypainting.

Have a nice day mates, I'll keep the updates coming if you want to see the finished thingie.
    silverb; don't let this go to your head but you have a lot of artistic talent that more than makes up for any perceived lack of welding technique. the tree is very realistic and well executed. the fish/platypus rocks too.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

silverb; don't let this go to your head but you have a lot of artistic talent that more than makes up for any perceived lack of welding technique. the tree is very realistic and well executed. the fish/platypus rocks too.
    Really truly thanks for those kind words Docwelder, went straight to my heart!
    And hey, give your macaw a cracker from me mate

Spraypainted today, sky opened up halfway through. (Wow what a rainburst)
    I don't know if the spraygun was in order or if I'm just not clever enough to figure it out how to set it up, figure it must be me.
    If somebody knows a decent tutorial on sprayguns on youtube I'd sure love the link.

I'll try to fix and redo the clearcoating tomorrow and update you mates!

Post Thanks / Like

All of your items look great and you are very talented.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    All of your items look great and you are very talented.
    Thanks psacustomcreations, I appreciate your kind words, truly means a lot to me mate!

Heres a little update,
    Name:  018_Tree.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  135.7 KB
    Spraygunned the trunk to catch that color of cooking X-mas butterscotch toffe if that makes sense in english?

Name:  019_Flowers.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  163.9 KB
    The flowers in place, water will run from the sunflower-inspired flower buds down between the chain of leafs. (Supposedly... hopefully)
    If you look closer pherhaps you see a little turtle there with two wonky teeths, I suppose it gotta be one of them snap-turtles? (At least what I tried to catch the spirit of)

Name:  020_Fisheyes.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  95.4 KB
    Fish in place with intended fishy look *pun intended*

Name:  021_Entire doothingie.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  147.7 KB
    The finished doodiddelythingie sculpture

Now it just need to find it's way to a fountain where I'll try to cap som pics 4 ya mates.

Hope you enjoy the build-log!

Have a nice one!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You artist type folks are incredible...absolutely amazing talents.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakedaawg View Post
    You artist type folks are incredible...absolutely amazing talents.
    Really thanks jakedaawg, youre beeing much much to kind - but I really appreciate it mate!

I'll promise to up some more fumblings soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll promise to up some more fumblings soon!
    I wish I could fumble like that, beautiful work!

Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck using a small propane torch to heat up stainless and get some nice colors for art projects.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

so very, very cool! love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn.....that is awesome work.....I wish I had half that much talent.............Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have had good luck using a small propane torch to heat up stainless and get some nice colors for art projects.
    Yes I figured there was some trick to it, I just learned that the swedish "gasol" (monopol gas brand) for camping kitchens here is a mix of propane and other gas that lowers the heat of the propane quite a lot.
    In fact the Swedish version burns so bad that there used to be a "winter-gasol" version that basically was pure propane without the crap gases inside because the standard gasol did not heat the food in the camping kitchens below zero (lucky if it ignited at all) I read this in a softair forum where girls/guys of other countries propelled their softairguns by propelling them with propane and the Swedes trying that had their pellets just *plop* out of their airsofties limpdicked.
    I will try to find pure propane for the next try, thank you so very much for this tip psacustomcreations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    so very, very cool! love it.
    Thank you mate, it means a lot to me mate! Maybe I'll gather curage and show some more of my fumblings

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    Damn.....that is awesome work.....I wish I had half that much talent.............Mike
    Dang mate, youre being much much to kind. I know you guys are real pros and I'm certain you'd beat my fumblings e-z. I'm an uneducated barbarian who happened to flip over to the premiere episode of futurama and instantly knew I had to fumble together a robot (bender) for my living room couch. (Basically never saw tools like a welder/grinder up close before that and still never had much of an instruction) So to come as far as to get this high praise from you guys at a real welding forum simply blows my mind. Thanks Mike!
    Last edited by Silverbullit; 08-22-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! I must admit at first the eagle looked more like a "screaming chicken" at first (look up smokey and the bandit era trans-ams to see the infamous "screaming chicken" on the hood), but it ended up looking pretty fierce. You have a real gift for this type of art, and I like how you throw a little humor into some of your pieces.

How much do you figure this piece to weigh?

The time and talent you put into your pieces is obvious, and if you are selling them I hope you are not underselling yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Very nice! I must admit at first the eagle looked more like a "screaming chicken" at first (look up smokey and the bandit era trans-ams to see the infamous "screaming chicken" on the hood), but it ended up looking pretty fierce. You have a real gift for this type of art, and I like how you throw a little humor into some of your pieces.
    You really nailed me intentions to the spot-weld mate. And hey thanks again for your awesome feedback and tips in the other threads, really appreciated! Yep I saw that screaming chicken on the hood and I suspect we have pretty much the similar frame of references SlowBlues? One of my main driving forces is the impact my fumblings has on people, if I can put a smile on somebodys face or in their hearts it is worth every sacrifice it took to make is my feeling about creative fumblings.

How much do you figure this piece to weigh?
    I tried to keep the weight down but it is some real solid walls in that "tree trunk" in particular, but a wild guesstimation pherhaps somewhere around 250-300kg or in lbs somewhere around 550-650pounds
    (I guess the translation between kilograms and pounds there in case it sounds crazy?)
    Any larger sculptures are generally made in smaller pieces and then assembled when all pieces are as finished as I can get them before that assembly in question.
    Very rarely have I built anything big in one piece as I am limited by the need of help with lifts and such.
    (Thats btw also how come I work sitting on a pc/desk-chair. Broke my back in the 90ies but despite getting up again I'm quite limited to what and how I can do stuff)

The time and talent you put into your pieces is obvious, and if you are selling them I hope you are not underselling yourself!
    Oh man if I had any sense of how to peddle stuff I'd be a happy bugger! Since you asked I just create just because I need to the same way most need air, I fumbled in painting/sketching etc, sculpting wood/steel etc, writing, filming, directing, architecture you named it I'm certain at some point I fumbled it up grossly but payback has not been a part of those equations. Only on the rarest occation I have been given a budget to fumble something together and to my recollection I have always ended up going over each budget, however small it is of course obviously my own fault. The screaming chicken is my latest project and I did in fact have a budget on this project. In reality it was modest and I actually sold the Graphic card and M2 SSD of my new PC to finish the sculpture up.
    (I think you get it, Material, Welding wire, Flap, Cut, Polish discs, 2 component clearcoat, weldspray, Gas to drive each day to find somewhere to borrow power outlets to fumble along, 50l welding gas tube all for Stainless Steel, etc really added up quickly and gobbled the budget up quick, also when you borrow a spot to work on stuff happens and one of the welders croaked on me and I of course repaired it because thats what you do when you borrow something that breaks, well you are experienced welders and know all this stuff and I am certain have a much better professional knowledge than me on the costs involved in Stainless.)
    But I am still happy somebody placed the confidence and a budget in my hands to make something that will get a permanent spot to be viewed and enjoyed for many years to come, can it get better than that?
    Of course I would be happy if I made a buck, especially since I need to get some replacement consumables for welding (and get the graphic card and SSD back)
    Hope thats not to honest SlowBlues, total transparancy. But I'll hope the day will come when I have a + from this, maybe I can experiment with some stuff I dream of like Cusi3 and some new tool if that comes true

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist