Thread: mig wire

Post Thanks / Like

mig wire

Is there such a thing as wire that is not as hard as to be easy to grind? I just want to build up part of a tube that I ground to far into to get the shape back just to make it look nice again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mig wire

I think I have heard here on the boards that there actually is a wire named easy grind or something to the effect that is designed for that specific purpose. I don’t recal any specifics or threads it was mentioned in though. I’m sure others will come along shortly with more precise details with regards to brand name model number or naming of the wire.

Edit: A quick google search turned up some ESAB spoolarc easy grind. https://www.esabna.com/us/en/product...easy-grind.cfm
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 08-28-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

esab spoolarc easy grind
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how much difference it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.

(edit) my local Matheson Tri-Gas INC. said Esab easy grind is discontinued.
    Last edited by cobrabuilder; 08-29-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find it is discontinued but 9.40 per lb is a good way for it to get there.
    I have never had a single issue grinding, blending, flap wheeling, filing, sanding simple 70S6 wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, BS, Just get regular S6. Lincoln is fine. HTP is rolled straight and works better in the lil 110 machines.Comes of stright/no wobble
    usa welding com. If you buy 030 wire order 035 contact contact tips(old school)
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 08-29-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bonzoo does over sized tips allow the wire to feed better with out any lack of electrical contact and or do the tips last longer allowing for better wire feeding as the spatter builds up on the tip?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Bonzoo does over sized tips allow the wire to feed better with out any lack of electrical contact and or do the tips last longer allowing for better wire feeding as the spatter builds up on the tip?
    The latter. No stickies from short arc while tacking.No problem at all with feed.

Post Thanks / Like

If over sized tips were recommended wouldn’t Lincoln and Miller say so?
    Contact tips are sized for each wire to give optimal performance.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=vwguy3;8714684]If over sized tips were recommended wouldn’t Lincoln and Miller say so?
    Contact tips are sized for each wire to give optimal performance.[/QUOTE}
    yEAH. Always weld according to the settings on your door chart. OK ?

Post Thanks / Like

Not what I said at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll just stick to S6

Post Thanks / Like

Been using EasyGrind wire ever since it was a Linde product. In fact it was formulated to use on their autobody mig welders like the Linde V160. Awesome machine that could fill voids in wire nesting mode.

Anyway the wire was way soft and L-Tec/Esab reformulated the wire for a higher tensile strength but would still be easier to grind than regular. I use it mainly for commercial sheet metal welds that need to be flushed out, and tacking steel frames with tig, as they stretch a bit better than 70s2. But no where near the stretch that the original had. I still buy it but have a good stash.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

where do you get it? I only need a small spool.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobrabuilder View Post
    where do you get it? I only need a small spool.
    Only comes in 11 lb. spools.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help you with the easy grind steel wire but you may want to look into Mig brazing. It was developed for auto body sheet metal work and in addition to being easier to grind has a few other advantages (lower heat, good for galvanized/warping and corrosion resistance. Uses 100% argon shielding gas, and prices are higher than steel). voltage and amps/wire feed speed recommendations are available from the wire manufacturers themselves, and most bigger welder manufacturers.

No problem using a .035 tip on .030 wire. I use .035 tips AND liners on .030 wire all the time with zero issues as do many, many pros.

Problems you may have will likely be with .023 wire and mostly due to the wire itself not being very stiff due to thickness - but even then it's not so common. The main problem would be bird nesting (wire bunching up intead of being pushed through) on a larger liner. The only problem with a larger tip would be the wire MAY physically move around due to play at the tip. I've never experienced the tip problem as usually the wire is coming out at an angle against the tip which takes up the "play". These problems are most likely to show up using a .045 liner/tip with .023 wire.