Thread: ac 225 slag difficult to remove

Post Thanks / Like

ac 225 slag difficult to remove

I just bought an ac-225-s welder and have been running 6011 rods. The slag is difficult to remove so I bought some 7018 from home depot, even though I don't have an oven, to see if they were different. The slag from the 7018 rods is nearly as hard to remove as the 6011. I've been welding at school with a high end dc welder using 7018 and the slag just peels off. The pictures are all 6011
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ac 225 slag difficult to remove

That's odd, I've run 7018 AC on several AC machines and on my DC machine & if I take the time to get the settings just right it will peel very easily or even scorpion tail. The welds almost look too cold. I wonder if there's something wrong with your welder? My first AC machine was a Craftsman 230 AC, now using an old Midstates machine from WW2. Don't be too concerned about not having an oven, you probably won't be doing much code welding at home. There have been COUNTLESS discussions about ovens here on the web.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 09-01-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't use the right shotgun. You have to use a 10 guage with birdshot. Seriously though it looks like you shot it with a shotgun for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use a needle scaler sometimes for slagging my welds. Also a lot of porosity in some of them.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Incorrect heat settings. Based on your pics you’re cooking the hell out of it. Both because of the spatter, and because of the puddle of metal where a bead should be. Welding too hot will cause the slag to stick to the metal like hard mud. Turn it down, a lot.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    1975 Lincoln Idealarc 250/250
    Lincoln Idealarc SP200
    Lincoln 3350 PAPR
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is way too much long arcing, which causes the splatter. Shorten your arc length and you should get rid of most of the splatter the slag will be much easier to remove.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 buzz boxes, and I find the heat settings seem to vary between the 2... the Sears seems to want a higher setting than the Forney for the same rods. Those printed decals on the front will give you approximate numbers, not exact voltages. If you are using the same heat settings as you are used to on another machine, you will have to dial in what you need for your new machine.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

the numbers on amp dial are often different using different machines. that is one machine at 100 amps can act like 70 or 130 amps on another machine. AC tends to give slight less penetration and more splatter.
    ....also part thickness and position welding flat versus vertical up or down or horizontal overhead. and a skilled welder can read arc and puddle better and adjust speed and weave and or whip amount to compensate for high or low amps or part warming up as you weld. that is if up on high structural steel rather than climb down and adjust machine you might pick a medium amp setting and adjust how you weld and rod size used instead. hard to describe
    i suggest making and using a welding amp chart showing
    1) part thickness
    2) rod size and amps
    3) position or orientation of welding
    .....note a fillet weld on a inside corner uses more amps than welding a outside corner on a 90 degree joint. hard to describe. but basically many are 20 or 30 amps off and or using wrong rod size and 95% of their problems are coming from that
    you might need different numbers on your amp chart cause your machine might act 10 or 20 amps hotter or colder on the same amp numbers. i took a weld certification test and machine said i was at 265 amps using 1/8 7018 welding vertical up it acted more like 105 amps. it was part of test does welder read the arc and puddle and adjust by that or does he read the amp dial which can be way off in calibration. amp numbers are not meant to be trusted.
    you need to read arc and puddle and rod. for example if rod gets red hot full length of rod while welding your amps are way too high
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

7018 is avaiable in AC . A wire wheel on a 4 1/2'' or 5'' hand grinder will clean it up quick. Heat setting is the key for slag removal.

Post Thanks / Like

obviously if you have erratic rod motion weaving and or erratic arc length control that will make things worse with slag removal. some drag 7018 rod on part and minimize weave cause they have trouble controlling hand. often beginner needs to use both hands together on electrode holder and have elbows against body to help steady their hands
    ......hard to describe

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at the pics again I have to say that some look cold to me, like the bead is kind of just there on the metal, and in others it looks like whoever said you're cooking the hell out of it is correct, also on the long arcing, I think after the responses of people that are much more experienced than myself that the solution has been provided. My little 230 amp craftsman AC machine welded great with compatible rods, I gave it to my grandson with the stipulation that if he should decide that he doesn't want it he was to bring it back to me, it was a gift to me from my wife's brother who passed away in 93.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have time to weld today but I'll turn the heat down tomorrow and make sure I keep the arc closer. Thanks for all the input

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I didn't have time to weld today but I'll turn the heat down tomorrow and make sure I keep the arc closer. Thanks for all the input
    No, turn it up and tilt the rod in the direction of travel. keep the flux in contact with the plate. if it sticks, crank it a bit more. A little practice and you will have the self consuming rod making a good bead. 7018 requires a very short arc as it is not shielded by gas from the flux.
    1/8" rod on AC should be about 130-135 amps.
    Last edited by 12V71; 09-03-2019 at 12:20 AM.