Thread: Hook up 30A Spoolmatic to 220 AC/DC options?

Post Thanks / Like

Hook up 30A Spoolmatic to 220 AC/DC options?

Id like to use a 30A Spoolmatic on a new welder and have been told by a rep that you need to use a WC24 interface box. The box is needed to both adapt the connectors and also to allow the spoolmatic drive rolls to work blah bla...
    But I see that the Spoolmate 100 and Spoolmate 150 are direct hook up to this machine. So this makes me wonder if you can swap the stock connector on the 30A Spoolmatic with the newer style? If the machine can operate A spool gun from the current stock connector on the machine then why the need for the WC24 interface? Cash grab or a necessity?

A wiring diagram for the connector on the 220 AC/DC and also a diagram for the Spoolmatic 30A would help if this is possible

Trying to save $400 if possible

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hook up 30A Spoolmatic to 220 AC/DC options?

The 30a has more controls on it than the spoolmate guns, namely you can control wire feed speed from the gun. On the spoolmates, you don't control the wire feed speed from the gun. So without the WC24, I am not sure how the 220 would tell the 30a how fast to feed wire. I am sure there is a way to make it work, but you would have to totally hack and rewire your 30a, probably making it useless for the machines it was designed for (252, 255, etc.)
    Last edited by Louie1961; 09-10-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Post Thanks / Like

The 220 AC/DC has a 14 pin Amphenol and WC24 and Spoolmatic 30A use a 10 pin. Not sure how that would work with the circuitry but if I had just spent 3,000.00 I would not want to do any experimenting.

Post Thanks / Like

The WC 24 should have a short cord with a 14 pin connector. wires on A,B and G.
    The WC24 box has a 10 pin receptacle the spool gun plugs into.
    Looking at the multimatic 220 diagram the 14 pin receptacle will not operate a WC 24.
    It showed only pins A,B.C,D,&E are used. To operate a WC 24 you need A,B & G or K.
    Pins A,B.C,D,&E are for a foot control. has only DC volts. You need 24 volt AC between A and G or K.
    From what I can tell the 14 pin receptacle is for a remote control only.
    To use a spoolmatic 30 you will need a WC 115. IT powers from the wall and can use the 14 pin to turn welder on. The WC 115 has or can drive a gas valve.
    THIS welder was designed to use the spoolmate spoolgun. Powers the motor directly from the 4 pin trigger plug. Wire speed and calibration are controlled by the multimatic 220.
    You might be able to make an adapter taking the ten pin to the 4 pin. using only the motor and trigger wires. You loose the speed control on the handle. BUT not sure if wire drive system is strong enough to drive the spoolmatic with out damaging its self. Motor may draw to much current. May even void the warranty.
    I see only 2 choices, 1, use a spoolmate or 2, get a WC 115 not a W 24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    The WC 24 ....
    Well.... I read that last reply but went ahead and bought a WC-24 anyway. Doh!
    It’s not working.
    So I guess the only options are a WC115 or a direct hookup Spoolmate. Thanks for the advice ccawgc

Anyone wanna buy a Spoolmatic 30A and WC-24? Haha

Post Thanks / Like

Got it working today without the use of either the WC-24 or the 115!
    As I suspected in the first post it takes a bit of wiring. Didn’t have to touch the welder itself. Simply cut off the 10 pin Amphenol connector from the Spoolmatic, used 4 of the 8 wires (2 from the 3 wire, and 2 from the 5 wire) and replaced with a 4 pin Amphenol. Turns out the 14 pin connector on the front of the welder is for remote only and is not needed.
    The 4 wires used are for the pull motor and trigger and the other 4 wires from the gun become useless and cut off a bit shorter

Thanks for the advice though, multifaceted ideas created inspiration to keep searching for a soloution

Cheers all

...The Spoolmatic is no longer for sale and WC goes back to the store as I’ve only had it for a day. Total cost is yet to be determined, whatever the price of the 4 pin Amphenol connector is.
    Last edited by Go.fish; 10-02-2019 at 11:40 PM.