Thread: help needed with miller roughneck

Post Thanks / Like

help needed with miller roughneck

I can't get this machine to weld.When I put it on the power position.I get the 120 volts at the duplex recep. and also I get volts on all the welding terminals! The voltage is only about 35 volts cause the engine is not running at speed.When I flip the switch to weld all voltage is gone! No volts at duplex recep. no volts on the welding terminals. I have replaced all the diodes and capacitors in the exciter board. When running in the power mode I measured 85 volts dc at the brush lead marked 400,but when flip over to weld that voltage is gone. I've cleaned the slip rings and brushes,checked out s1 switch,all ok.I kinda at loss here looking for some advice.I was thinking maybe of getting a couple of bridge rectifiers to maybe replace the diodes.The welder is a miller roughneck 2 serial ja373769 made in 1980 with a tecumseh engine oh140 160044b . Can someone point me in the right position to figure out what's wrong? I bought this welder in a non running condition and golly gee it's still that way!!!

Randy (cool air)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help needed with miller roughneck

Ok I've had a bit of luck! I now have welding voltage! I was thinking that one of the diodes might be bad on the board.So I rigged up a spare diode on a set of small clips and use that to jumper different diodes.I found a bad solder joint on d5. Fixed it and now have voltage on welding terminals in the weld position.Now I just have to get the engine up to the proper speed for welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you found the problem and it was a relatively easy fix.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, glad you got it going again!