+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Optrel E684 Cheaters

Post Thanks / Like

Optrel E684 Cheaters

Does the E684 takes the same size cheaters as just about everybody else? The Optrel branded costs about 3 times as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optrel E684 Cheaters

I'm not sure how the 684 retains its inner lens, but I'd like to assume the retention mechsnism is the same as my 680. The optrel cheater I have in mine has thinner recesses along the vertical edges to allow it to slide up into the frame, due to being thicker for the magnifying feature. Afaik, the generic cheaters don't have that. You could maybe dremmel the edges of the cheap ones out to fit. Eta: I believe the optrel inner lenses are a hair bigger in both directions than generic ones.
    Last edited by Tango Sierra; 10-16-2019 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optrel E684 Cheaters

Hi Wolfman,
    standard cheater does not fit the E684. You may be able to modify, I think you'd have to mill in a step, but personally I don't think it's worth it. You only need to buy one and it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, you soon forget about the few extra bucks and move on. The Optrel cheater is plastic (not glass) so there's that, and it comes with a thin plastic bar to seal up the remaining gap. 10 seconds after fitting, this bar falls out and you throw it away because it's not needed anyway. I've been using the Optrel cheater in my hood for a while now and it's quite good for plastic. I run a glass cheater (from Honkers) in my back up el-cheapo bucket helmet.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist