Syncrowave 250 w/ coolrunner
    MM210 W/spoolgun
    SP 135
    Victor O/A
    Ramsond cut 50
    Titanium Stick 225.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wind

Well I am gonna ask what kinda rod you using low hydrogen or 6010 / 7010 ? X-ray or not ? What are you welding ?

Post Thanks / Like

My reference states maximum wind of 3mph, per AWS D1.8 and 5mph per D1.1, but this is in the discussion of FCAW. There's no mention of wind in the SMAW section. I don't have AWS in front of me. Someone familiar with AWS will chime in...

obviously, if this code governs...otherwise, I have no idea, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Today, just some non critical farm equipment. So I guess the 20+ mph was the cause of the porosity. 7018 sticks.
    Syncrowave 250 w/ coolrunner
    MM210 W/spoolgun
    SP 135
    Victor O/A
    Ramsond cut 50
    Titanium Stick 225.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tbones View Post
    Today, just some non critical farm equipment. So I guess the 20+ mph was the cause of the porosity. 7018 sticks.
    20MPH sounds pretty high. Maybe try again with windscreens?

Post Thanks / Like

I had to stand between a welder and the wind to block it one time because he said the wind was blowing his arc "out"
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tbones View Post
    How much wind can SMAW handle?
    I work in the wind evry day on top of a mountain or in pit on the side of it, either stick welding 6010 and 7018, stainless or with Innershield NR233. Ive never had trouble with wind from any of it. The wind up there is usually about 10-15 mph, sometimes if a storm is brewin it might be 20 to 30 or more. But evry day soon as the sun comes up it starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had a problem with stick/self shielded in any wind either, but I do often use small and medium wind screens for gas welding outside.

I make articulating arms welded to clamps for them. Just two washers, clocked 90 deg. to each other welded to the end of tube/rod and a wing nut/bolt that holds them together at the angle i want; looks like this>>> O====--.

I've found making wind screens V shaped rather than flat helps a ton in both not having to preposition for changing winds but also they can be much smaller. I've used a hinge to make the V angle adjustable, but I didn't use that as much as i thought i would.

Post Thanks / Like

I have more trouble keeping myself steady in the wind...after 7 knee operations these old beat up hinges I was born with aint all that stable some days

Post Thanks / Like

10-15 is about right.

The wind is too high if you get "gray" welds.

If, after you chip the slag off, the weld is gray, and not shiny when buffed with a cup brush...……...the wind gotcha my friend.

Most difficulties occur when the wind is coming in from the side of the weld. Very seldom do you get into real trouble if the wind is behind you, or coming in from your front (to a limited degree).

We get days where the wind runs steady at 20, and gusts to the mid 30's. I don't even think of welding on those days, unless I'm in a sheltered area. Besides...….the fire danger is unacceptable when the wind runs that high.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    I make articulating arms welded to clamps for them. Just two washers, clocked 90 deg. to each other welded to the end of tube/rod and a wing nut/bolt that holds them together at the angle i want; looks like this>>> O====--.

I've found making wind screens V shaped rather than flat helps a ton in both not having to preposition for changing winds but also they can be much smaller. I've used a hinge to make the V angle adjustable, but I didn't use that as much as i thought i would.
    Any chance you could post a pic of your setup, SlowBlues? I've messed with making jigs to hold odd-shaped parts for welding, using bearing balls and wing nut clamps, but I'm not visualizing what you're talking about here, I don't think...

Samm, aren't you in OK, and when does the wind there ever fall below 20 kts?

Post Thanks / Like

IDK but I usually run stick with a fan called the Aloha Breeze blowing at me but I call it The Turbo Prop it moves so much air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Never had a problem with stick/self shielded in any wind either, but I do often use small and medium wind screens for gas welding outside.

Got some pics of that wind screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well like it was stated wind from the side with 6010 is the worst . 7018 I have just turned it up a little to keep up with it going out . Inner shield just keep burning wire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    I have more trouble keeping myself steady in the wind...after 7 knee operations these old beat up hinges I was born with aint all that stable some days
    7 Knee operations ??
    I just had a complete replacement after too many dusting and cleaning. Mine was done 16 days ago and I noticed the difference.
    Definitely get yours done. I'm gonna do my other knee in 4 or 5 months.
    As for wind, we hang fire blankets or setup a umbrella . Depends on situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    7 Knee operations ??
    I just had a complete replacement after too many dusting and cleaning. Mine was done 16 days ago and I noticed the difference.
    Definitely get yours done. I'm gonna do my other knee in 4 or 5 months.
    As for wind, we hang fire blankets or setup a umbrella . Depends on situation.

Yeah I got beat up a bit, they took parts from the left one twice to fix the right one, complete reconstructiin both times, then took parts from out the right one to fix the left one. Hamstrings got tore up in both of em when I was dragging timber up the pitch one morning not long after the I had the left one fixed up. I kept goin for about 3 weeks til I got them fixed til that got done I tore up the 2 ligaments that crisscross in the middle Acl I think they said in both knees, so that was messed up til they got the whole thing fixed up. I couldnt stand settin around for too long and went back to work on my own and most likely did more damage than if I woulda stayed put like I was supposed to.

There is some folks around here have had them replaced, most of those folks don't do the stuff I do for work. There also have been 3 cases where infection has set in and they ended up taking the replacement back out. One lady I know is getting the replacement put in a year after the replacement was took out and she hobbled around without a knee joint, the other 2 guys are going thru the same process she went thru without a knee joint. I have my doubts after knowing all that.

Wind? I just deal with whatever God throws at me, Ive got no problems with the welding in the wind the way I work and with what I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had an issue with wind affecting a stick weld. Had a hard time keeping the hood from blowing off when it was tipped up plenty of times tho.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I made a pretty good career welding structural steel outdoors up on the iron. Ran lots of stick in all 4 seasons. Never had an issue. That’s why stick welding is still so popular.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    I agree. I made a pretty good career welding structural steel outdoors up on the iron. Ran lots of stick in all 4 seasons. Never had an issue. That’s why stick welding is still so popular.
    pretty much the same for me. stick,innershield and dualshield and can't remember having wind related porosity issues. maybe your problems are elsewhere like dirty material or moisture in the welding rods?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist