Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76

Thread: Dry cut saws recommendations

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    I stumbled on this thread as I was looking to purchase a dry cut saw. After reading it, i have ordered the Makita LC1230. We will see how it goes.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    345
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    I stumbled on this thread as I was looking to purchase a dry cut saw. After reading it, i have ordered the Makita LC1230. We will see how it goes.
    I have the Makita LC1230. Good saw. Support your work well, preferably on both sides of the blade if you can. It doesn't like thick metal at all, remember that you could ruin a $60 blade in seconds, so take it easy when cutting.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX TIGRunner
    Fronius Transsteel 2200

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    I have the Makita LC1230. Good saw. Support your work well, preferably on both sides of the blade if you can. It doesn't like thick metal at all, remember that you could ruin a $60 blade in seconds, so take it easy when cutting.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to hear. I have a band saw for the thick stuff. And Ive been using an abrasive saw for the thin stuff- Just don't like the huge mess and uneven cuts it creates.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Puget Sound, Washington
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Love my Fein/Slugger 14Ē. Havenít touched the abrasive chop saw since I got it and Iím using it a lot more than the Wells bandsaw but happy to have both.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    kornfield kounty IA
    Posts
    459
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    Good to hear. I have a band saw for the thick stuff. And Ive been using an abrasive saw for the thin stuff- Just don't like the huge mess and uneven cuts it creates.
    You might try a diamond blade on the chop saw as they are stiffer than a friction blade, don't get dull, retain full cut diameter, and don't turn into dust or explode either.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by gundog77 View Post
    You might try a diamond blade on the chop saw as they are stiffer than a friction blade, don't get dull, retain full cut diameter, and don't turn into dust or explode either.
    Actually they do get dull... but you're right about not losing(very much) diameter which is the one reason I like them for trench work... well that and they are pretty tough when you drop the grinder

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Anyone ever make their own base out of thick steel to mount their abrasive/dry cut saw in order to not use the stamped steel flimsy base?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    'ta town, KS
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    We have one at work...

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

    Mac

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    4,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Anyone ever make their own base out of thick steel to mount their abrasive/dry cut saw in order to not use the stamped steel flimsy base?
    It may help some but most saws with a flimsy base have a flimsy fence and vise as well. I looked at DeWalt, evolution , Morse and Makita when I bought mine. Evo and DeWalt were out right away due to the flimsy base. Morse was better but Makita was the sturdiest and easiest to adjust of the bunch.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Yea the vice and fence would also likely have to be built-up, but hey that's what fabricating is all about. Just like hot-rodding a car.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    4,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Yea the vice and fence would also likely have to be built-up, but hey that's what fabricating is all about. Just like hot-rodding a car.
    Personally I would sell it and get something that's better built. Next will be the motor.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shawnee KS.
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Hey that is a pretty neat stand do you have more photos or a build thread ?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    n.w. of chicago
    Posts
    873
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Personally I would sell it and get something that's better built. Next will be the motor.
    ^^^ yep junk is junk, after 35+ years of re inventing the wheel I would have to say your dollars ahead buying quality in the first place, buy what you can afford to do the job at task, not knocking bad tools but some of the "modify a garbage tool" cost more in the long run, a craftsman or gearwrench will never be a snapon, but they all have their place

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    I got my Fein Slugger last week and made a few test cuts. Pretty impressive. The base and vise are solid and the cuts are VERY smooth. I'd say 1/4" steel cut about as easily as a piece of 1" oak in a standard miter saw. Just a bit of resistance, but not much.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Personally I would sell it and get something that's better built. Next will be the motor.
    That logic says hot-rodding isn't worth it and just sell the car to buy a faster car pre-made. What's the fun in that? Remember, I'm not a professional. I make very little fab'ing/repairing stuff compared to my day job. about 4%. Sometimes it's just "something" to do.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    4,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    That logic says hot-rodding isn't worth it and just sell the car to buy a faster car pre-made. What's the fun in that? Remember, I'm not a professional. I make very little fab'ing/repairing stuff compared to my day job. about 4%. Sometimes it's just "something" to do.
    The " logic" is that it is a tool to do a job. Why beat a dead horse when there are better built options for not much more money. I have had some evolution brand tools and IMO, they ain't much. Pretty much comes down to what a person will or wont accept. Flexing on the base and vise is unacceptable to me when it comes to cutting with that type of blade. Flex equals a lot of $$$ when you trash a 100 $, give or take, blade.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    My evo380 was delivered Friday, I have yet to use it

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Anyone ever make their own base out of thick steel to mount their abrasive/dry cut saw in order to not use the stamped steel flimsy base?
    Buy a piece of 12" channel iron and cut the blade hole in it with a zip wheel.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Buy a piece of 12" channel iron and cut the blade hole in it with a zip wheel.
    I like that idea!
    :

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I like that idea!
    I think it would work fine, you could cut the center out of the side flanges to leave feet so it would sit flat and the vice would be mounted to a solid steel floor. and you could make a repeat length accessory that slips into the side too.

    How's it going Lis 2323, have you been using your extended reach grinder? Happy New Year and good health and prosperity to you and the family.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    How's it going Lis 2323, have you been using your extended reach grinder? Happy New Year and good health and prosperity to you and the family.

    Thereís rarely a welding project that I donít grab that grinder! I love it.



    And best wishes for the New Year to you also.!!
    :

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    I've got a Trajan Q1400 saw that I've been please with. I've cut up to 3/8" plate steel but I learned you want to keep the pieces clamped vertical (I) versus horizontal (___) to save blade life. If I can't cut the piece vertically I use my Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw.


  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    North Readung, MA
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    I have the FEIN/Jancy Slugger. The blade that came with it was ok. Moved on to the Diablo Steel Demon blade. Holding up pretty good. Once a blade dulls you need to change and get it resharpened. Cleaner than an abrasive saw but there are other trade offs. One being cutting a lot of square/rectangle tubing at an angle you cut on the flat often and dull the blade quicker.

    Iíve been thinking of trying a diamond blade.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    I've got a Trajan Q1400 saw that I've been please with. I've cut up to 3/8" plate steel but I learned you want to keep the pieces clamped vertical (I) versus horizontal (___) to save blade life. If I can't cut the piece vertically I use my Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw.
    I looked at that one myself. I'm still on the fence what I want to do for my shop - it's only a hobby for me.

    < rant >Regardless of the quality of the review, ChuckE2009 is a ****ing ******* and I will NEVER watch anything he has ever posted, EVER, again. Once he went on his white supremacist, islamophobic tirade, calling non-whites ratlets, rapists, invaders and what-not, he lost ALL credibility with me. Too many screws loose.< /rant >
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG
    https://www.mylilmule.us

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
    < rant >Regardless of the quality of the review, ChuckE2009 is a ****ing ******* and I will NEVER watch anything he has ever posted, EVER, again. Once he went on his white supremacist, islamophobic tirade, calling non-whites ratlets, rapists, invaders and what-not, he lost ALL credibility with me. Too many screws loose.< /rant >
    Please try to keep the thread at least somewhat on topic. Feel free to start a thread in the "Off Topic" sub-forum for this sort of thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,606,198,587.24705 seconds with 11 queries