+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a long cut

Post Thanks / Like

Making a long cut

I am looking at cutting around 70 feet of 1/4" mild steel. I am weighing my options. I have time and small angle grinders, and no plasma cutter / compressor yet. The cutter / compressor are on the list but there are other things on the list as well. What would the angle grinder route look like? Length cut per wheel type and such. Has anyone cut this much at once with a grinder?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making a long cut

It's doable. If it's just straight cuts, cut about 3/4" of the way through and snap off the piece. Be sure to use decent cut discs or you may need a few dozen to do the job.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the wheels some *might* get you a foot others maybe more.... you sure you don't want to get a portable drysaw??? I love my little milwaukee and it would be far more ecconomical than cutting wheels even the .85/ea. I use that would go about 2 feet... I have used at least a dozen different brands of cutoffs and they do vary all over the place and paying more doesn't equal cutting more home depot's metal demon brand works about as good as the 85 cent ones I been using for a while - blackhawk brand .045" 5 inchers.

Name:  milwaukeesaw-halfinch-plate.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  75.3 KB

One more thing.... the cutoff wheels do NOT like to face cut... they like it when you start on an edge and *if* you could keep it perfectly straight and not binding you'd be cutting great and it would last longer but.... it hardly ever works in the real world.. maybe if you made up some kind of jig
    Last edited by ronsii; 10-12-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You only mentioned the total number of feet needing cutting. What size pieces are you cutting? 1/4” sheet or structural?

IF you go the angle grinder route buy a Lenox metal cutting wheel.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lenox-Tools-19.../dp/B01HSJ1A2M

I’m still on my first wheel. It will pay for itself in time saved by not having to change abrasive discs.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered a Milwaukee Metal cutting circular saw ???
    I love mine and works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    You only mentioned the total number of feet needing cutting. What size pieces are you cutting? 1/4” sheet or structural?

https://www.amazon.ca/Lenox-Tools-19.../dp/B01HSJ1A2M

I’m still on my first wheel. It will pay for itself in time saved by not having to change abrasive discs.

first sentence, first post, 70 feet 1/4 mild

Post Thanks / Like

Making a long cut

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    first sentence, first post, 70 feet 1/4 mild
    Okay thanks for clarifying. I didn’t know if it was 70 one foot wide pieces or..

In that case a metal cutting circ saw would work well as others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 10-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Lennox wheels, I've been using my the first one I bought for over a year and it's still going strong. I don't know how it would be on a 70 linear foot cut. The Lennox wheels are available from 3" to 14 or 16".
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Okay thanks for clarifying. I didn’t know if it was 70 one foot wide pieces or..

In that case a metal cutting circ saw would work well as others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You're right, it could be one 70' cut, 10 7" cuts, etc, it is 1/4" though.
    Last edited by ljdm; 10-12-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    you sure you don't want to get a portable drysaw???
    Those are worth a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHFG View Post
    Those are worth a look.
    I think this would do the trick.... It's on my "wish list" on Amazon..... haven't had a real need for it yet... but I like it.

Probably wise to order ear protection also.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-637...76&s=hi&sr=1-1

Name:  71GHIpVx5uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  52.3 KB
    Last edited by John T; 10-13-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

We are cutting the side out of a container.

I'm reading varied reviews about those. Though, if we go the grinding route it will be a good test of one.

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting a container as in a shipping container? If so, have you verified the thickness you’re cutting? I thought container sides were more like 1/8” thick. For 70’ of 1/8”, is say you could walk through that in a couple hours with a few good Walter zip cuts. All this to say that the recommendations could be very different depending on the material thickness.

Post Thanks / Like

AHHHHH, container cutting..... this will be hard on any physical cutter, blades will bind so will discs plasma or waterjet would be the best(and cheapest) route. more than likely will be corten steel and it will be under tension in all sorts of ways the lennox diamond disc metal blades won't be quick but at least ou won't break them after the first few feet... they are pretty tough but they do dull right quick... not to say they won't still cut but it takes a lot more energy and they kind of plow through the metal instead of chipping off tons of tiny little particles. This kind of cut with a dry saw will be particularly interesting to say the least... you'll probably kill a lot of blades quick I would not go this route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    Cutting a container as in a shipping container? If so, have you verified the thickness you’re cutting? I thought container sides were more like 1/8” thick. For 70’ of 1/8”, is say you could walk through that in a couple hours with a few good Walter zip cuts. All this to say that the recommendations could be very different depending on the material thickness.

1/8" seems more reasonable, I overestimated to be prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

For the gun turret project, I cut all the straight cuts in 1/4" sheet with a 30 yr old skill saw and one diablo metal cutting blade from home depot.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.ph...unt&highlight=

I used a straight edge, only pushed hard enough to make nice chips, cut beautifully.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    AHHHHH, container cutting..... this will be hard on any physical cutter, blades will bind so will discs plasma or waterjet would be the best(and cheapest) route. more than likely will be corten steel and it will be under tension in all sorts of ways the lennox diamond disc metal blades won't be quick but at least ou won't break them after the first few feet... they are pretty tough but they do dull right quick... not to say they won't still cut but it takes a lot more energy and they kind of plow through the metal instead of chipping off tons of tiny little particles. This kind of cut with a dry saw will be particularly interesting to say the least... you'll probably kill a lot of blades quick I would not go this route.
    The container is painted, not sure if corten gets painted. Manufactured in May. Built for one use then scrapping or selling.

Interesting is right.

Post Thanks / Like

With all the ups and downs and ins and outs a sawsall would be good to have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

For a container my guess would be that a cutting disc on a 7-9” grinder would work well.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

We cut a hole in the side of a container for a set of doors last spring using this portable cut off saw, we tacked on some flat bar for guides so it went pretty smooth, I would have used the smaller carbide saw for the vertical cuts if I had remembered that it was on the truck. Most rental centers have portable cut off saws available either in gas or electric.
    Name:  Saw Cut off.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  115.3 KB
    Last edited by CrookedRoads; 10-13-2019 at 04:37 PM.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    With all the ups and downs and ins and outs a sawsall would be good to have on hand.
    A sawzall and ear plugs would probably work pretty decent... oh and a pack of blades

All the corten containers I see are painted and the make up the majority of what I see at the port and warehouses.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Sawsall/recpricating saw.

the walls are thin.

Put a couple whirly bird vents in one.

Easy peasy.

I cut the two 24" holes in about 20 mins. Been awhile so not sure on exact time but I do remember it was fairly quick.

As Ronsli mentioned, ear plugs and a pack of blades.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing about using a sawzall.... do NOT use a harbor freight sawzall!!!! The first time I used one of their 'heavy duty' corded ones on sheet metal(barrel) it went about 2 inches then a loud BUUUZZZZPPPPP!!!!! some gears definitely had an issue with the torque from the motor... so I took it back and exchanged it... the next one didn't even make it an inch!!! So I said screw it and just used zip discs

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a foot or two of cut (if you are slow and careful) . Ear protection, eye protection, etc. You could buy a Powermax45 xp plasma and cut the entire 70 feet (plus a few more 70 feets) much faster, quieter, safer on one nozzle (about $4). Then you will have a tool that can be used for a decade or more on other jobs? Just bringing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by DHFG View Post
    I am looking at cutting around 70 feet of 1/4" mild steel. I am weighing my options. I have time and small angle grinders, and no plasma cutter / compressor yet. The cutter / compressor are on the list but there are other things on the list as well. What would the angle grinder route look like? Length cut per wheel type and such. Has anyone cut this much at once with a grinder?

Post Thanks / Like

If I were to do it with a Sawzall, I'd try the new carbide ones and see how they do

Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist