Thread: Lincoln 225/115 reassembly & repair question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lincoln 225/115 reassembly & repair question

Hi all - brand new to welding apart from a brief foray in high school shop class. Just started taking a beginner intro night class at a local tech school.

Noob questions incoming...so, I picked up an older Lincoln 225/115 AC/DC tombstone-style stick welder off of Craigslist - it was absolutely filthy inside and out (basically looked like the guy rolled it through a mud puddle), so I disassembled it and took the sheetmetal off to clean everything out. Quickly ran into two problems:

1. Where does this metal bracket looking piece go? It was connected on the inside to one of the screws holding the outside sheetmetal on, but for the life of me I can't figure out where it goes or what it's supposed to hold in place (pics of each side below):

2. While I was maneuvering everything back into place this connection piece snapped at the bolt...at first I thought it was some sort of quick disconnect end that I could quickly replace, but the tab was actually machined from the end of the solid metal wire/coil. Sorry, these pics are upside down...it uploaded that way and I can't figure out how to rotate it (the long wire is extending up from the bottom of the welder and the broken connection is at the top:

Here's where the wire is coming from (again, forgive the orientation issues):

What's the best way to repair this without having to replace the whole coil? Can I just solder it back together at the break? I'm not really electrically savvy by any means, but with so much current presumably flowing through such a heavy gauge solid wire I want to make sure the fix is up to it. Would re-soldering + heat shrink tubing be adequate, or would that not be nearly enough insulation? Or - does the whole broken wire assembly need to be fixed and I'm screwed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln 225/115 reassembly & repair question

No idea about the bracket, but if you can locate a parts list for your machine it will most likely show a relative location. As to the broken wire, I would stop at an electrical supply and pick up a non insulated butt spice that will just slip on to the wire diameter. Crimp and then solder to the wire, flatten the other end and drill to fit the mounting bolt. Heat shrink if you feel the wire may come in contact with anything inside the welder when reassembled. (probably not necessary)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. View Post
    No idea about the bracket, but if you can locate a parts list for your machine it will most likely show a relative location. As to the broken wire, I would stop at an electrical supply and pick up a non insulated butt spice that will just slip on to the wire diameter. Crimp and then solder to the wire, flatten the other end and drill to fit the mounting bolt. Heat shrink if you feel the wire may come in contact with anything inside the welder when reassembled. (probably not necessary)
    Thanks. I did just find a parts list on the Lincoln database, here:

https://lincoln-is-viewer.ptcmscloud...TA1MDIyOTIyOH0

The only thing on here that resembles that metal piece is 9A, "output lead clamp". Unfortunately doesn't show me where it goes, though.

Regarding the wire fix...total noob question incoming. Would I need to strip away the outer silver metal to fully expose the copper core of the wire before I attach the connector? Or is the silver outer part conductive metal and no stripping necessary? Only wiring work I've done has been with regular plastic/rubber insulated stranded wire.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The silver coating is most likely conductive and will tin up with solder if you polish it up with some steel wool or scotch brite. Should solder just like good clean copper. And I could not see your parts lay out but I would look at the welders output lead and see if there is a sharp edge that the clamp would help help avoid chaffing on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. View Post
    The silver coating is most likely conductive and will tin up with solder if you polish it up with some steel wool or scotch brite. Should solder just like good clean copper. And I could not see your parts lay out but I would look at the welders output lead and see if there is a sharp edge that the clamp would help help avoid chaffing on.
    Do you think I'd have any issues with the wire getting hot and melting away the solder? Guessing there's some serious electricity coursing through there...my only (hopefully unfounded?) concern would be that the connector would somehow come loose/ungrounded during use and potentially give me a shock. I'll have to make sure I really crimp it on there.

Really appreciate the help!

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason for the solder is to increase the electrical connection to avoid heat build up at the crimp. You should never have any future problem caused by heat expansion and contraction at that point.