+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Robot sculpture "Donut-bot" - got stuck!

Post Thanks / Like

Robot sculpture "Donut-bot" - got stuck!

Howdy mates,

I thought about showing you one of the bazillion projects before finished, I usually don't do this because I have bad experiences from people seeing half finished art.
    However I trust you mates since you are in the metalwork-world and can see where things are going.
    Rarely get stuck frozen in projects but this is one of the rare exceptions I could not find any workaround the obstacles.

My idea was to make a trilogy of robots with those old b/w style horror movies and the themes at the time.
    The plan was to lift the "Nature strikes back" to the top layer, than layer down references and messages underneath that top layer.

I sketched on three different robots that would take shape in a cartoony comfy shape mixed with horror slash silly take-on.
    First would be the Oceans (Water) striking back through a "scary" robot driven by sea-creatures angry at pollution of the Oceans that is what covers mostly of our common globe.
    Second would be the rain forest striking back with another badass robot driven by rainforest-animals such as parrots, meat-eating plants asf (Heck I have a half finished electronic parrot that recognizes certain words and actually answers those)
    asf, you get the pic, sorry for babbling away mates.

First draft a b/w sketch and then a quick colored alter ego (Plz notice I like to undersell the idea as it makes a better impression when people see the finished fumbling togethered)
    Name:  20170831_130057.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  72.1 KB
    The notes on the b/w side is in Swedish as you might've guessed saying,
    Redstripade glass bulbs on back (them 7 things sticking out on back) waterfilled and airbubblepumps?
    Head or not head (Shakespear), that would be some cyborg-ey metal shell crab - IF SO - I think the viewer might search more if I skip the head?
    Theres a silly weapon like a "piranha-launcher" that slingshots piranhas at the enemys, I thought I'd have a see through loading tube/magazine where some pissed off piranhas are interlazed with some piranhaskeletons that been stored beyond best before date.
    Some notes about the legs and waist shape/details
    Some notes about ideas for feets
    Theres a sketch low right of b/w photo with notes about traps against humans and baits such as money, pc, cellphones, televisions
    and a sample of a "bear-trap" only with fake boobs in metal brassiere making it a "Booby-trap" (Dunno, maybe thats been made?)

Right pic is a simplified quick colorized sketch of an overall idea, it made me decide on roundish feets.
    Tried to undersell in usual order.
    I wanted to incorporate and mix different materials such as S/S, copper, brass
    Really wanted a diver helmet in brass style as shoulder light (think predators shoulder gun) with a weird skeletized skull and a glow fish inside if that makes any sense.

Name:  20180316_020540.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  64.1 KB
    Better pic with less lamp glares/reflexes

Name:  20180309_190759.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  68.4 KB
    Coffee-pan = pissed off piranha

Name:  20180309_190845.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  72.7 KB
    Not close to finished, neet to fatten upp the teeths and put some detail in it

Name:  20161122_201523.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  78.0 KB
    These quarter bends S/S was tight getting with empty pockets, way to thick material which worried me with reasons in perspective

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Robot sculpture "Donut-bot" - got stuck!

cont'd

Name:  20171116_125123.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  84.7 KB

Welded together to the "donut" shape.
    In the right lower corner is one of the roundish feets (top of a gas/water tank)

Name:  20180318_191812.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  73.1 KB
    Stuck on porch...

Now I made it precisely on the inch so I would be able to transport it in my car, that broke down.
    So what I have now would not get h a l f the size fit.
    Also the pure weight of the darn thing - that does not come apart as almost everything I do does - makes it impossible for me to handle with the remnants of my broken back...
    so guys, I'm stuck!

But I think these robots could have been something to behold,
    I aimed for respectable size and I had a half assed plan to just transport them at night and put them outside the art gallery with protest signs (park outside) and wait for some response. (I would probably cover my fatass by talking with the curator first but keeping it on the downlow)

Anyways, one of the tings I fumbled on that I got stuck half-fumbled.
    Hope it might give an amusing mental-picture for your joy mates.

Have a nice one,

/Fumbler

Post Thanks / Like

Rain forest, ya need to make Groot,. Do you have a plasma table or is everything free hand cut?
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Rain forest, ya need to make Groot,. Do you have a plasma table or is everything free hand cut?
    Yeah, I halfway beat you to this one - I made some trees both big and small already
    Nope mate, I mostly work out of the trunk of my car or more frequently lately at a small plywood square on a meadow and pretty basic tools. (Plasma table would be awesome and someplace to have and use it)
    The above is 100% angle grinder.

My experiences with Plasma cutters are pretty fresh/new.
    Hypertherm borrowed me an 30xp air and also shortly had access to a Gysmi, the Hypertherm leaves me in awe and I think anything would be possible with that thing - hell I'd try building a space ship if you gave me time and an engine!
    I drool at the thought of getting to use the Hypertherm but weather here is pretty freezing and when I tried using the plasma on the meadow on the 150 meter'ish/165ish yards of extension cords I just blew through two stacks of fuses before I could make a scratch on the steel.
    (Question guys, if you are outside and the weather turns and the ground is wet/it rains and the power extensions cord are broken or lacks grounding for the plasma, I know it's stupid but still curious are the odds high to fry my fat ***?)
    I did however make a visit to look at plasma cutting table ask some Q's and these kind guys even let me autocad a couple of the panels for the AT-AT Walker (I had AutoCad in Architect school but man has that program developed!)
    It was a blast and I did the rest of the project by cutting cardboard templates with an exacto (or a cheap version of the exacto original to be precise) it worked decent and I finished most cuts without the cardboards catching fire.
    (I did stupidly soak a couple of cardboards with a flower spraygun and between cuts I blew the tip/wear parts POFF)
    Oh and this cutting handplasma with cardboard guides for the AT-AT was not now, it was on my parents front gravel entrance during not to cold days as you probably already gripped.
    But that embarrasingly small experience is all I have yet I am ashamed to admit.
    Thats the lay of the land right now Southpaw

Post Thanks / Like

I like your stuff in an artsy way. It's good stuff.

On the other side of the coin...………...I'm a bit perplexed, and don't get this wrong.

I love the structures remaining from the Turn Of The Century, up to the 70's. Bridges, buildings, and other commercial structures. I see, when I look at them, the labor that went into them, and the skill involved. I see sweat, pain that accrues from poverty, and societal failure. The lower end of the labor force didn't fare well back then, and still doesn't. But, their effort created the infrastructure we rely on every day...…….roads, bridges, homes, offices...…………...and the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong...…….I place value in art. I have a very nice home, filled with art that I consider relevant. I tend towards Realism. My tastes are pre Modernism. I like a flower that looks like a flower.

When I see this anarchic stuff that calls itself art, I see something appealing to the upper class that has no respect for the dollars they spend. It's luxury spending. A funzy sorta thing. They bitch about the price of a hamburger, the cost of painting their houses, and other assorted things related to day-to-day living...…...but will plop down thousands of dollars on "art". Art is...………...A Wyeth, a Homer, or the Dutch Masters, ...…..not the drek that passes for art these days.

Yeah, I'm a critic...….but that's genuine, and it's an acceptable thing. The art world is full of them. So is the culinary world. Some folks earn a very good living with their critique.

You've found a niche, and by all means, capitalize on it. If it feeds your family, it's good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I like your stuff in an artsy way. It's good stuff.
    On the other side of the coin...………...I'm a bit perplexed, and don't get this wrong.
    Thanks FarmerSammm, appreciate your kind words and thoughts. Alway love a but because all discussion may lend an opportunity to learn something new
    My English is sub-par but I will try to elaborate on your thoughts and try to reply best I in all modesty know how.

I love the structures remaining from the Turn Of The Century, up to the 70's.
    Bridges, buildings, and other commercial structures. I see, when I look at them, the labor that went into them, and the skill involved.
    I see sweat, pain that accrues from poverty, and societal failure.
    The lower end of the labor force didn't fare well back then, and still doesn't.
    But, their effort created the infrastructure we rely on every day...…….roads, bridges, homes, offices...…………...and the list goes on.
    I can dig it, spent over an decade traveling most of Europe to specifically look at Art & Architecture.
    (Schooled as an Architect, have some other eds also as Swedes love their educations)
    Fumbled together furniture in "Industrial" design as I like the style, done right.
    Also did a pile of stuff based in historical designs anywhere from thoughts from the great churches like that now pile of Ash in Paris to Vikings
    (Made a Viking ship bed complete with Dragon heads, shields and runes)
    So I feel a great kinship as you mention the above as I too consider these work of architecture crystal clear art.

Don't get me wrong...…….I place value in art.
    I have a very nice home, filled with art that I consider relevant.
    I tend towards Realism. My tastes are pre Modernism. I like a flower that looks like a flower.
    Hmmm you may appreciate

www.artrenewal.org

Theres a lot of opinions in this field however I should probably not throw glass in stone houses

My thoughts on this topic are split, thinking about it like it is a bit like that weigh-scale lady justice grabs on to.
    In my humble crusade to look at and analyze Art for more than a decade through Europe it seemed pretty clear to me that the old masters opened up and actually caused this as you might think of "descent" to Abstract art.
    How to put this with my feeble vocabulary, the cronology of masters work is like a roadmap with hints like ehh not a good example but look at Velazquez as he just dry brush a digit of a hand in a portrait making it something reminiscent of abstract for the brain to interprete as a finger in the context of the surrounding portrait.
    It is like a trail of little hints when you start looking at details the great masters experimented with that I suspect led us to the abstract explosion. I dunno, like they left a small crack in the door in peoples minds?
    But I think youre right on about theres being a lot of crappy stuff quickly fumbled together, and this leads me to an thought paradox I like to share.
    Regarding the exact opposite of abstract art...
    Now there is photography and photorealistic artwork in various mediums, which poses a really important question. Is a mirror image of reality art or does art to have something "more"?
    Sometimes I even have the funny feeling that some photorealistic art is so "realistically" prioritized that the message has been lost or even foregone for technical detail if that makes any sense?

When I see this anarchic stuff that calls itself art, I see something appealing to the upper class that has no respect for the dollars they spend.
    It's luxury spending. A funzy sorta thing. They bitch about the price of a hamburger, the cost of painting their houses,
    and other assorted things related to day-to-day living...…...but will plop down thousands of dollars on "art". Art is...………...A Wyeth, a Homer, or the Dutch Masters, ...…..not the drek that passes for art these days.
    I suspect I'm not really to say this out loud but...
    True, theres a lot of pretentious crap out there. I DO suffer from a need to see an artists skillset and time put in to a piece of art no matter genre.
    (Stuff like hours, line, shape, form, tone, texture, pattern, colour, composition, artistic originality and so forth)
    About the money part I cant say I made any profit from an overall existence in the creative fields, beyond that I'm just oblivious to the relationship between money & art. Hell I'm such an dumbass so as long as fleabag is fed I can prioritize my last buck on art supplies over food. (Too fat anyway, haha) Let's hold our thumbs dog digs up a viking treasure...

Yeah, I'm a critic...….but that's genuine, and it's an acceptable thing. The art world is full of them. So is the culinary world. Some folks earn a very good living with their critique.
    One of the things I value most is constructive criticism, honesty! Personally I can't remember a single piece I have been content with, I figure how can I become better at something if I dont see whats wrong with it and work at that.
    With that said there IS a difference between constructive criticism and being offensive and I welcome the first but I take the latter as I figure the modest percentage that has no common sense by adult age will never have the capacity to tell the difference anyway.
    I honestly have a hard time taking compliments as I never particularly feel I deserve so kind words for my art or other stuff, on the other hand it is the positive feedback that keeps me art-ing on as I see it makes people happy and in hopes to become better at fumbling stuff together.
    Have a bad migraine so I'm afraid my words sounds contradicting, but both are true.

You've found a niche, and by all means, capitalize on it. If it feeds your family, it's good.
    Oh gosh it is not any art related dough raining down on us that made me and fleabag fat, McDonald owns that one, haha
    (My girlfriend only gnaws on carrots and other suspicious greenstuff that gives me nightmares)

Omg thats a longwinded reply,
    I hope this is not to honest nor to pretentious of an reply.
    Your thoughts rings valid in my mind so I figure they deserve some honest uncensored thoughts back (Well as good as I can with migraine, sry)

/Fumbler of stuff
    Last edited by Silverbullit; 12-05-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Brainless rambling, cannot stfu :(

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist