Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oh, Why Not

I can't help it if'n ya got faster internet

Post Thanks / Like

the faster rural internet compensates for my slower neural interconnects

Post Thanks / Like

Better hit the sack on this end. Rain day tomorrow, so got plenty of shop time I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

yeh, gettin' late, even with daylight savings it's still dark when I get up....

Post Thanks / Like

Usual...…….

Got ready to machine a tailstock fixture,, and cleaned the bearing

Name:  broken wheel45.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  broken wheel46.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  125.6 KB

I'm thinkin' I'm real lucky the wheel didn't come off. Never checked it when I pulled the hub down...…..but I did notice there was what looked like glitter in the grease...…...turns out the glitter was metal flakes

New set is a day out.

So, I toddle off to Tulsa to pick up some larger diameter center drills, and the usual other stuff ya just gotta have when you get to wandering around the store.

Half way home...…………..I remembered that I needed a 9/16 end mill, to punch the existing hub bolt holes out from 1/2 to 9/16 Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 818
Size:  13.7 KB It's a good thing I'm a nice, calm, easy goin', guy

Not real sure how the end mill will do, but it's the only alternative. The holes are egg shaped, and a drill ain't gonna cut it. It'll want to follow the egg shape, and also most likely throw the hub across the shop when it catches an edge (or just snap off the ends of the flutes). If it works out, the other hub needs the same treatment...….it's all learning curve I guess.

I'm thinking, rigidity will be the key. Run the mill into the material with the table, while the quill is locked.

IIRC...…..they used to make 3(?) flute drill bits for widening holes...…….can't seem to find them anymore. I think the idea was to add a flute to spread the force, and reduce the chip load. AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They still make 'em https://www.drillamerica.com/product...traight-shank/ Wouldn't work on an egged hole, but glad to know they're still out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad you don't have one of those wheel plates like 12v71 had.... then you could use it as an alignment jig to drill through to the hub

Btw... them are some fine looking bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there is always a rat tailed file.

Post Thanks / Like

Got your money's worth out of that bearing.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to know, with all your time taken up by trying to be an engineer, machinist, welder and an author writing an online novel, how do you find time to farm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We do this all the time in derby. You can contact this company and they will make you a full center that welds in with your bolt pattern already in it. You can set your offset to clear larger tires with this product as well. So much quicker and cheaper than other alternatives. https://www.jeffysfabfarm.com/online...egory=26616706
    Please dont mistake my enthusiasm for talent!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the time to do the first part of the plug thingy.

Name:  broken wheel47.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  87.9 KB

The other side is center drilled for the tailstock. Went with a #5 center drill for the added support.

Name:  broken wheel48.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  122.3 KB

Few more steps to do on this end of the deal, then it's finished. Needs drilling, and tapping.

Ronsii got it half right The bearing cone has to be secured to the hub ROBUSTLY (clamped, in plain English), but it can't be secured to the hub thru the spindle shaft, it has to be a unitized assembly with the HUB

The bearing cone has to be firmly clamped to prevent it "hinging" under side pressure. That's a given. The cone has to be solid to keep the plug aligned with the hub bore. If you run a bolt thru the plug, and back thru the spindle bore...………..it's gonna pull the hub back against the chuck. Then all ya got is 3 non-aligned points that will hinge.

The hub has to be "one" piece...…….meaning that it has to stand on its own, when it's clamped in the chuck. The plug has to "be one with the hub" (Y'all knew there'd be some Zen stuff in this...…..after all it's a lathe). This involves making a ghost shaft through the hub. Simply a thru bolt to tie the inner/outer bearings together under heavy preload, so that the plug is an extension of that ghost shaft. It is then One With The Universe...…….. Name:  tycoon_percussion_thpfc_finger_cymbals_1412105849000_1072596.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  51.1 KB

Overkill????????????????? Ya, maybe...….but then...…….I've had the enlightening experience (yes grasshopper) of having a workpiece climb up over the toolpost, cause it had too much overhang, with no support from the tailstock.

Bit 'o work to set it all up...……...ya...….but I gots 4 of these hubs to do. Gettin' sick of replacing wheels, and hubs, all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    I want to know, with all your time taken up by trying to be an engineer, machinist, welder and an author writing an online novel, how do you find time to farm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't try……………...I am

Post Thanks / Like

How bout' a big round of applause for Sammy the farmer and... more...

Name:  sammy2.gif
Views: 656
Size:  28.5 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 11-08-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Got the time to do the first part of the plug thingy.

Name:  broken wheel47.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  87.9 KB

The other side is center drilled for the tailstock. Went with a #5 center drill for the added support.

Name:  broken wheel48.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  122.3 KB

Few more steps to do on this end of the deal, then it's finished. Needs drilling, and tapping.

Ronsii got it half right The bearing cone has to be secured to the hub ROBUSTLY (clamped, in plain English), but it can't be secured to the hub thru the spindle shaft, it has to be a unitized assembly with the HUB

The bearing cone has to be firmly clamped to prevent it "hinging" under side pressure. That's a given. The cone has to be solid to keep the plug aligned with the hub bore. If you run a bolt thru the plug, and back thru the spindle bore...………..it's gonna pull the hub back against the chuck. Then all ya got is 3 non-aligned points that will hinge.

The hub has to be "one" piece...…….meaning that it has to stand on its own, when it's clamped in the chuck. The plug has to "be one with the hub" (Y'all knew there'd be some Zen stuff in this...…..after all it's a lathe). This involves making a ghost shaft through the hub. Simply a thru bolt to tie the inner/outer bearings together under heavy preload, so that the plug is an extension of that ghost shaft. It is then One With The Universe...…….. Name:  tycoon_percussion_thpfc_finger_cymbals_1412105849000_1072596.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  51.1 KB

Overkill????????????????? Ya, maybe...….but then...…….I've had the enlightening experience (yes grasshopper) of having a workpiece climb up over the toolpost, cause it had too much overhang, with no support from the tailstock.

Bit 'o work to set it all up...……...ya...….but I gots 4 of these hubs to do. Gettin' sick of replacing wheels, and hubs, all the time.
    With all this trouble your going through... Just exactly what is your end result with junk hubs going to be?

Post Thanks / Like

Well...………………….with the set of jigs, and templates (ain't done yet)……..gonna have a set of stuff to work with OEM hubs, wheels, and spindles.

Y'all with big bucks, and no morals () go on wit yerself, and Fk with that new stuff...………...we, down here in OK, run with what we got.

New hubs gonna get the same treatment as the old ones.

The pre 80's tractors weren't made for loaders, and doggone sure weren't made for what we do with them here. It's all a matter of modifying them to work. Shoulda done it sooner.

What's a tractor payment on a 100hp tractor these days?????? Gotta be a damn sight more than what I got in this so far (shrug)

And, it's a sh(tload of fun. Nice to beat the metal once in a while...…….gotta be one step up on it.

Pantywaists

Post Thanks / Like

And, as a bonus...…….we gots some Trig in this too. (math) Might be Geometry, but I ain't up on that sh$t

Name:  broken wheel49.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  79.0 KB

So, ya can sit on yer azz, and contribute nothin' but a bit of verbage, or get off yer azz, and do something.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the aerosol cans of layout fluid myself, just seems quicker and lasts longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Big laughs...…………..can't level a lathe like that.

More laughs...……….can't rebuild the headstock from Hell.

So...………….see where we're goin' with this...….it's all about the doers. Not the sayers.

Meanwhile...……...I write for the little guys, like me. We try to do the best with what we got.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I like the aerosol cans of layout fluid myself, just seems quicker and lasts longer.
    Man, you're in the ballpark, at least ya got nothin' really bad to say...……….so power on ya. Fk the rest. I get really sick of this

Post Thanks / Like

And, I'll let the monkey slide...……………………….ya gotta have sumpin' to put lead in yer pencil.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know all about doing my first lathe was an import very similar to yours.... I found it to have some serious shortcommings when first using it so with my very limited tools and experience I ripped it apart, shimmed, scraped and trued it up (in a day) to where it cuts as straight as a pro since then I have acquired several more lathes and even got a couple of them running using only my meager collection of tools and knowledge.... around here we also tend to do the best we can with what we gots... not sure how you could do something with stuff you ain't gots???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Well...………………….with the set of jigs, and templates (ain't done yet)……..gonna have a set of stuff to work with OEM hubs, wheels, and spindles.

Y'all with big bucks, and no morals () go on wit yerself, and Fk with that new stuff...………...we, down here in OK, run with what we got.

New hubs gonna get the same treatment as the old ones.

The pre 80's tractors weren't made for loaders, and doggone sure weren't made for what we do with them here. It's all a matter of modifying them to work. Shoulda done it sooner.

What's a tractor payment on a 100hp tractor these days?????? Gotta be a damn sight more than what I got in this so far (shrug)

And, it's a sh(tload of fun. Nice to beat the metal once in a while...…….gotta be one step up on it.

Pantywaists
    I appreciate your condescending reply. I just asked a question. But I am going to say now, that in 40+ years of heavy equipment repair business I have done many "lowbuck" repairs and modifications on quarter $million plus machines that make your stuff look like childs play. It's not all "big bucks and no morals"

Post Thanks / Like

Bunch of holes need drilling, and I finally figured now is as good a time as any to make a quickie center finder.

Name:  broken wheel50.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  broken wheel51.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  broken wheel52.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  240.4 KB

Name:  broken wheel53.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  187.2 KB Dam sight more accurate then the drill press it's gonna be used on

Name:  broken wheel54.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  116.6 KB Be handy, and about the only way, to locate center punched holes for the wheel disc, and template. Can't really use a wiggler on the drill press cause it doesn't spin fast enough without PITA belt/pulley changes. This ought to work for static centering.

Post Thanks / Like

The plug for the inner bearing.

Name:  broken wheel55.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  104.5 KB

Flipped and drilled for clamp bolt.

Name:  broken wheel56.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  broken wheel57.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  115.9 KB

The plug for the outer bearing was then drilled/tapped for the clamp bolt.

Name:  broken wheel58.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  127.0 KB

And, she's ready to go...……………….

Name:  broken wheel59.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  108.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Put it all together.

Name:  broken wheel60.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  broken wheel61.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  112.1 KB

Popped it on the lathe, and trued it up. Very happy with the rigidity

Name:  broken wheel62.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  106.4 KB

I'm thinkin' the hub is cast iron (that ductile stuff guys complain about on the Allis's of this vintage), or "semi steel" (cast iron with the kitchen sink dumped into the furnace)

Name:  broken wheel65.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  117.6 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist