Thread: ESAB 215 Issues right out of the box

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB 215 Issues right out of the box

So I just finally got my hands on a Rebel 215 at work and couldnt wait to test it out. I still have not run a 208/230v 50a circuit for the welder so I used the adapter and ran it on 120v 20a. Day one everything worked great. I ran it through all the processes to see how it performed on the lower voltage and was quite pleased at every feature. Day 2: I was going to tackle a small tig project but could not get an arc to strike. Tried both the pedal and the press button on the torch and had no luck. I took the torch apart and put it back together to make sure I had everything right and still nothing.

I switched it over to stick welding and had the same results, no arc what so ever. I then put the MIG gun on there and confirmed all processes are not working. The ground clamp has no issues which was all I could think of off the top of my head. Then I also noticed that there was no gas coming from the MIG gun when I squeezed the trigger. Opening up the side panel I can feel/hear the gas coming out the back of the MIG hose, spraying towards the spool. All the O Rings seem to be in fine order so I am quite confused.

I have no idea what would cause this machine from working fine one afternoon and then have two complete failures over night with absolutely zero human interaction between the successful operation and the failure. I am an electrical installer/technician that does welding every once and awhile at work for repairs and small fabrication projects, sufficient to say I am an extremely novice welder with only 1 year of part - time experience. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by WyoDan; 10-30-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB 215 Issues right out of the box

Maybe you don't have the leads connected properly. Do you have the display working?
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything is possible. Could be a problem from shipping or from factory and as mentioned with your connections. Have you checked the 120v to see if the voltage is within required specifications ?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I would contact ESAB tech support directly. I don't know about other folks, but my experience with ESAB support and warranty has been A+.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    I would contact ESAB tech support directly. I don't know about other folks, but my experience with ESAB support and warranty has been A+.
    Me too
    Everlast i210 with 200a spool gun
    Everlast i140e
    LOTOS LTP5000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc

"Things are never so bad that they can't get worse...."

Post Thanks / Like

Follow the advice of Jaws in your other thread and reset the machine. If that fails to produce positive results then contact ESAB customer service. Keep in mind you want to do this fairly quick as the 99 or 100 day money back trial clock is ticking. I've had my issues and a lot of them was learning curves but then some of them was machine issues. So if you have any negative thoughts about your purchase, don't hesitate to voice them to ESAB immediately and get working towards a repair or if you are not comfy with what you got "LEMON" Return it for a full refund. ESAB needs to know the $hit they are selling is not Cosher period. I've had my share of problems and continue to have them past my warranty period. Granted the machine is the $hit when it's working as it should but when it's not then well let's just say boo hoo " HAPPY HALLOWEEN " Hope you get it all worked out.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 11-01-2019 at 01:53 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info everyone! I am running a 208/230 50a circuit today and will see if the higher supply voltage does the trick. The display turns on and rolls through all of its modes no problem it just doesn't want to produce an arc. I checked out the 20a 120v circuit I was running it on with my meter and it appears to be fine, I even ran my little miller spectrum 625 cutter on it and had no issues. If all else fails I will call ESAB, I have only had the machine for ~2 weeks so I am well inside warranty. Why is it that my POS no brand Mig 120 welder that I got used for $100 never fails after a world of abuse from me, but if i look at my ESAB too hard it quits working. Guess thats life. Ill update this when I have news.

Post Thanks / Like

If you lost mig, tig and stick output. you may have lost the control pcb.
    Do call ESAB they will either replace the welder or send you to a repair shop set up to fix these welders.
    Always ask for the best one in your area.