+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powermax 30 Air

Post Thanks / Like

Powermax 30 Air

So i am looking to buy this plasma cutter over the next couple of days.
    i do small metal art.. with the Powermax 30 xp finecut nozzle and electrodes work?

the 30 air is the machine im wanting and its more than enough for what I need
    are there fine cut consumables for it?

i like the fact it has a built in compressor just like my Hobart one
    the Hobart just is slow

i think ill have better results with this machine

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powermax 30 Air

The 30 Air uses a completely different torch design that is designed to use less air for developing the plasma cutting arc....this allows for thicker and faster cutting capability with an onboard compressor.....so no, the 30XP consumables will not fit. The 30 Air will cut faster and thicker than the Hobart system. Jim Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Yes a quick message for Jim. I recently purchased a hypertherm powermax 85 plasma system. I only have single phase power so to my knowledge, this was the biggest machine I could run. In any case my question pertains to hooking up an additional moisture filter that I purchased directly from hypertherm via my local airgas welding supply. I live in Florida and the humidity is horrible here to say the least. When I started to hook it up I noticed that the instructions forbid the use of Teflon tape on the fittings, and instead advocated the use of liquid pipe sealant can you explain why this is so, and suggest any good brands of this type of sealant that would be readily available in most hardware stores. Thanks in advance Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Teflon tape (if not very carefully applied) can break off and plug critical components in the air pressure system inside any plasma cutter. That is why liquid pipe dope is always recommended over Teflon tape. Any liquid or paste type pipe sealant that is rated for at least 135 psi. Hypertherm uses a Loctite anaerobic sealant (not thread locker, but pipe sealant) that works well....though I do not know the specific part number from Loctite. Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelington View Post
    Yes a quick message for Jim. I recently purchased a hypertherm powermax 85 plasma system. I only have single phase power so to my knowledge, this was the biggest machine I could run. In any case my question pertains to hooking up an additional moisture filter that I purchased directly from hypertherm via my local airgas welding supply. I live in Florida and the humidity is horrible here to say the least. When I started to hook it up I noticed that the instructions forbid the use of Teflon tape on the fittings, and instead advocated the use of liquid pipe sealant can you explain why this is so, and suggest any good brands of this type of sealant that would be readily available in most hardware stores. Thanks in advance Jim

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist