+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Esab/Lorch tig Deal..

Post Thanks / Like

Esab/Lorch tig Deal..

Not a bad deal for a Lorch..

The 301i is also a deal..I wanted it, but just out of reach at this time to cash out. I just went for the ET-220i instead for $1527.99 I have a RPC, so I can setup for 1/3 phase to get the full output. I run my Thermal-arc LM-200 the same way. Just a 3 phase plug on the welder, and use a adapter to single phase use. L1530P on machine to L1530R to 6-50p adapter I sold my other unit but kept my water cooler,torch, and have a ft control for this one already.. 8 pin Thermal-arc works..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BXMZ4QH...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCBWD8N...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.lorch.eu/en/productworld/t-220/
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-23-2019 at 05:08 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab/Lorch tig Deal..

This is a good deal. I have only heard good things about Lorch. You'd be hard pressed to find a machine in that quality tier in that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The Esab I sold was that quality/price. Just wanted to up the warranty to 3 years.Although I i originally was shooting for the 300 amp unit. I mostly do real thin stuff, so will be fine. Duty-cycle is good on the 220 Have to run on 3 phase to match the single phase output of my Sweden made 2200i It will be interesting if it's as good of a machine..Probably is, and if close good enough.
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-23-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Is it 40% at 220? If so, that is very good.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...ch-t-220.8822/

Post Thanks / Like

I like that Esab 301i. I looked at in the past but I was initially put off by the limit of 200A on 1ph, 300A on 3ph. But it's looking better after comparing to what Lincoln and Miller offers in that range, especially cost wise. I have 3ph service and wow, 36 lbs. What have you heard about their reliability?
    I've heard about Lorch brand before but don't know much about them. It looks very much like the Esab what's the connection? Are they primarily a Europe product?
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    I like that Esab 301i. I looked at in the past but I was initially put off by the limit of 200A on 1ph, 300A on 3ph. But it's looking better after comparing to what Lincoln and Miller offers in that range, especially cost wise. I have 3ph service and wow, 36 lbs. What have you heard about their reliability?
    I've heard about Lorch brand before but don't know much about them. It looks very much like the Esab what's the connection? Are they primarily a Europe product?
    Lorch is German, and it is actually made in Germany. One of the top brands in Europe. Quality is top notch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    Lorch is German, and it is actually made in Germany. One of the top brands in Europe. Quality is top notch.
    Why does it look like the Esab? They don't appear to be available in the US. The 300 amp unit has European input voltage.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Why does it look like the Esab? They don't appear to be available in the US. The 300 amp unit has European input voltage.
    Maybe it looks like ESAB because it's yellow .

What do you mean by European input voltage?

Europeans and Germans in particular make excellent machines, just as good as, if not better than their American counterparts. You don't see most of these brands in the US because it's incredibly hard to compete with Miller and Lincoln. I have three gripes though about these European machines, they require 3 phase for any serious welding (in Europe, almost all power is 3 phase everywhere, so they don't feel the need to make impressive amperage output out of one phase power like Miller and Lincoln), the machines are aesthetically unpleasing (ugly looking), and their interfaces aren't as good as Miller's, Miller is light years ahead in that department. IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Lorch is red from what I see: https://www.lorch.eu/en/productworld/t-220/ The Lorch appears to have the same case/front as the Esab, different control panel?
    By European input voltage I found the T250, T300 use 400 volt 3 phase input. The T220 can run on 230 volts 1 phase.
    If three phase is everywhere in Europe then I can see why they don't put much emphasis on single phase machines. Probably why the Esab 300i is split up to 200A on 1ph and 300 on 3ph. Even the Lincoln Aspect 375 is 250 on 1 ph and 375 on 3 ph.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Input power is the same between machines. The control panel is about like using a Thermal-arc 185/300 prowave from Japan. (Lincoln's 205 V)(from 15/18 years ago.. Just with more hidden menus to change more parameters. It's not like you have to get in there, and set all the time. Learn the memory setup if you want a quick to setup system..

Yoo will never find a quality 300 amp tig for the price of that Lorch/Esab..These are not play things, and are the real deal..

https://mam.esab.com/assets/1/BDBA5C...rochure-01.pdf
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what you're asking is why the ESAB looks like a clone? This particular set of machines was a rebrand of the Lorch machines for to fit into the niche that ESAB hadn't filled with proprietary products at the time of release. It's a common thing in all kinds of industries, to make a deal with a manufacturer that has an established product, release it under another brand more well known in different regions. ESAB gets a great product that allows them to compete in the market, and Lorch sells more machines with a higher success rate than trying to establish a consumer base in new regions. Likely the largest scale (or most visible) you see this with would be automakers.

Post Thanks / Like

So the Esab 301i is a rebranded Lorch? Does Lorch build the machine for Esab?
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Input power is the same between machines. The control panel is about like using a Thermal-arc 185/300 prowave from Japan. (Lincoln's 205 V)(from 15/18 years ago.. Just with more hidden menus to change more parameters. It's not like you have to get in there, and set all the time. Learn the memory setup if you want a quick to setup system..

Yoo will never find a quality 300 amp tig for the price of that Lorch/Esab..These are not play things, and are the real deal..

https://mam.esab.com/assets/1/BDBA5C...rochure-01.pdf[/QUOTE
    Input power is the same between which machines?
    I think you're right about the price for 300 amps.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

220i, and the 301i meaning it's set for the USA market.. If you watch the price on the 301, it might drop.. If someone buys one, look for a huge price increase. The 220i has stayed the same so far, since i bought one anyway..,Might drop again,but i will take the deal in front of me..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

220i, and the 301i meaning it's set for the USA market.. If you watch the price on the 301, it might drop.. If someone buys one, look for a huge price increase. The 220i has stayed the same so far, since i bought one anyway..,Might drop again,but i will take the deal in front of me..
    If it drops much more then I might be on board ..my Precision tig has been great but this would probably be at a whole new level especially with aluminum
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i
    Firepower fp-200
    MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead pulled the trigger and spent the extra for the 301 since aluminum is my thing these days. I will juice it on my RPC like Scott mentioned he will do for his. From everyone I talk to that works in the big shops the 3 phase just kicks it on the inverters. I learned that on the plasma recently using a 60i, who would have thought? I need another tig like a need another kid to support..or another plasma, but this was a really good deal with a solid 3 year warranty. I have always heard great things about Lorch units, hard to pass up when it will probably be worth more in a couple years, specs on both units/weight are impressive with aluminum housing. I am starting to feel the shop is turning yellow again. I am anxious to see how it stacks up to my 281i HELIARC ESAB (STEL), Italian vs German engineering. The big Miller might be looking for a new home soon.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Mine will be here tomorrow. 2 day air shipping.. I probably will regret not buying the 301i, but cash flow was not quite right enough at this moment.. I could swing a bit of extra Argon/HE mix through.. Really just want to weld nice to .250", and the 220 amps will pull it off OK.. I set my Mig unit up for my Tweco Pull gun, and it can handle so thicker stuff if I needed it..

I Just wanted to see Chris ditch that green thing..

My two 60i are three phase only and have my LM-200 setup for 3 phase .I just use a 3 phase to single phase plug for quick/easy phase change. Just had to order one plug for the 220i, and it will go both ways.. Unlike it's owner..

$6258 for the 301i thanks to Chris. Glad he pulled the trigger and got it. Makes me feel better, since I let that one go..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-25-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Green thing is at another shop of my buddies, has been for awhile, he wanted to learn to be a tig welder, I told him go for it! He just came and grabbed another 10lbs of 4043 today so it must be going good.

I have 4 300's of HE50 just filled and ready for more work coming in. Argon is just for DC and plasma marking anymore, once I got hooked on the helium there is no going back. I can actually weld .250 with the little TA 185 on the juice, I think it puts out more than it says it does, those are great little machines, I just don't stress it on big stuff. Its more of a shop ornament anymore.

My cash flow was not quite either but it only took me a couple minutes to talk myself into it.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

My 185 arcmaster (last model was a excellent machine..Welded exactly like my 300 pro-wave did.. The LM-200 welds the same as the MST-400 (had two of them) But has a much nicer arc start on smaller solid wire.. The 400's took a lot of tweaking to get the run-in right. LM-200 is really made for the stuff.. It does output 330 amps, and solid voltage, so about the same as a 300 Multimaster. Good enough for me.. The MST/LM is my all time favorite short-arc/spray arc inverter I have used or owned..That said,the little Caddymig 160 gets the most use in my home shop. Just great beads on CO2 gas.. Not very many machines run that gas as well as the little esab.. So easy to set, and use.

I will probably go with 25 % HE for my first go round.. depends what Air-gas sells in Portland..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-25-2019 at 01:04 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like these machine use the funky TA-186 style ft control.. Two switchs in the pedal.. It's for setting the preview amps while the ft control is plugged in. Unless you have a modified ft pedal with a switch to kill that feature while welding, best to use the standard 600285 pedal for the 141-181-211-252 machines.. You will just have to unplug the 8 pin to set the welding parameters.

What the deal is there is no remote/panel switch on the power supply to toggle the preset amps/etc for setting the machine up with a standard ft pedal plugged in.. In a way it is ok, because you will never be able to have the machine in panel, and hit the ft control for full output by mistake..It will always feather the power by the ft control. I am guessing you might be able to see the full set amps with the ft control plugged in, but you would have to floor the pedal to see it.. I Believe that is how it works? I think killing the 2/4 step in the software setting will be a thing you might want to do also.. Just from reading the manual.Has some factory amp min. amp setting you might not like..

C08 – Foot Control Minimum
    Current (GTAW AC mode only)
    When set to “ON” the increased
    Foot Control Minimum current
    is disabled and the minimum
    current on any electrode is 5A.
    When set to “OFF” the increased
    Foot Control Minimum current
    is enabled.
    The minimum currents are:
    electrode 0.040" – 0.080" (10A)
    electrode 3/32" (15A)
    electrode 1/8" (20A)
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

They'll be good machines for sure. I believe they are Lorch T series with a slightly altered spec and paint scheme.

I'm a huge fan of Lorch, I have a HT200 and have used a Saprom pulse MIG, in some ways they're miles ahead of the competition, and in others, you get a high quality german built machine for similar or less money than Miller/Lincoln/Esab.

Post Thanks / Like

220i, and the 301i meaning it's set for the USA market..
    If you watch the price on the 301, it might drop.. If someone buys one, look for a huge price increase. The 220i has stayed the same so far, since i bought one anyway..,Might drop again,but i will take the deal in front of me..
    That was an understatement! $2317 to $6258! WOW I'm not savvy with the Amazon price games.
    I think it can be had pretty close to that lower price elsewhere.
    I was in the process of researching more about that 301 not being someone who jumps in without knowing all the details.
    I inquired through email to Esab: Does it have a cooler power supply? I assume it does but you know what happens when you ***-UME. If it does have the power supply what's the max amps (@115V) can it run? I have a water cooler so the reason I asked. I also asked for a link to a user manual, I learn or answer a lot of questions by reading the manuals. I was also going to call the local repair facility to see if they can service the Esab and other details.
    You guys seem to know a lot about these units can you fill me in? By the time Esab gets back to me the price could be..???
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

The 8 pin on the front panel is different then the euro brother. Since guys kill the auto torch sense in the euro units, one less thing to do there.. Although a preview torch switch mounted in the pedal might be the first order of business.. Sad when you have to look up your own thread to figure out what wires to jump for the switch..

Looks like a switch mounted in the side of the ft pedal, and wired to #7 and #5 pot wires will give you preview panel amps when jumped. The machine will be here today, so I will see if the manual is correct on Preview amps not showing when the pedal is hooked up.. Basically what you are doing is adding a remote/Local switch to the machine by adding a switch in the ft pedal #7 Remote Control Potentiometer Wiper To #5 Remote Control Potentiometers Maximum pins..Otherwise with the standard old school ft control, the preview amps for adjustment will not show with ft control plugged in..That is why this thing uses the aborted twin switch ft control, with a piece of tape inside the cover to make it all work.. ( TA-186 ft control setup)

On the price,(301) still over $3000 anywhere else. I just leave my 120 volt cooler plugged into the wall.Just have to remember to turn on always.It's why I now run a 15 ft water-cooled torch..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-25-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the Lorch versions don't have a switch in the foot pedal, it's auto preview. They all use the same pedal for the range, which has a 14 pin plug. You leave the torch switch plugged in.

Tweco versions have always been a bit weird in this way, from what I understand, and it seems they've continued the wappy control design through Esab/TA stuff too...
    Last edited by Munkul; 11-25-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the lorch model are done right, but just throwing some options out to have a panel/remote setup correct. Using the goofy troublesome 2 switch ft control is real PITA. You have three options Use the dual switch ft control. add a remote switch to it and remove the extra preview switch inside the ft pedal, use a standard Thermal-arc ft pedal,and remove the 8 pin fitting every time you need to adjust the power output.

Might be another way other then drilling a switch into the welder someplace.. That is to use the 14 pin Automation Remote Control Socket and add a switch to the 5 k pot there.#3-#4 pins on the back of the machine..

I need to see what is up before I do anything. It will show up today at some point, and all of this might be a moot point? Probably not, if the Manual is correct.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist