+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Esab/Lorch tig Deal..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab/Lorch tig Deal..

The 301 from amazon is now $4078.31. Guess no bites when it went to $6250.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

The cooler port is for a smart cooler, most of the high end stuff is going that way now, not just a 110 or 220v plug, has flow monitoring and comes on and off in use etc, you can set it up through the programming, I left it off, I think you have to buy the mated cooler for it to get all those features. I know STEL and Fronious have similar systems as lorch, I am just running a simple Miller coolmate 3 since they are bulletproof and simple, plus I had it already.

I got to test this thing out more after dinner and must say its growing on me quick, I switched to single phase and argon and very impressed on 1/4 6061. I messed around with some 1/8 and 14 gauge 6061 also, changed frequency and got to try out the pulse some more, downslope to crater fill works nice with pedal, very very nice machine. I rank ease of use for setup a little lower than others but as far as welding it is just phenomenal on A/C, I do believe it's nicer than the TA Sanrex.

Don't worry about the pedal thing, a simple 8 pin SSC works, and a 14 pin hooked up to switch on pins 3-4 in back with a switch will let you preview set amps with pedal hooked up. I have not done that yet but will same as Scott did, he is the one who figured it out, he is a master on hooking stuff up. I am thinking you can run a 14 pin pedal on back and put the switch on front as well just differnt pins. I need to order a 14 pin male since I don't have one laying around, I only found an extra 8 pin, but they are cheap enough. I just threw my Thermal Arc pedal on it for now.

BTW 200 amps seems to run hot on this machine, I switched back to HE50 and 200 amps will weld 1/2 inch 6061 on single phase 60hz 25% balance, now these were only small scrap pieces keep in mind. 250 amps on 3 phase with HE50 will kill it. As I suspected the 3 phase adds a little punch, I switched over with same settings on 281 Heliarc and the 301i was hotter immediately, you can definitely tell a differnce in the arc. Still love my 281i and my workhorse but the 301i has some characteristics I do like more, plus with way better pulse options, that is where the 281 is lacking IMO, I like to run differnt settings on the positioner sometimes and that one only goes up to 2 pulses per second.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Jawslandshark; 11-28-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

If you run the ft pedal they recommend you will get preview amps when the ft.control is plugged in. Simple..Now the not so simple thing is you get a pile of a setup,that is problematic. It has two switches in the pedal and a piece of tape to make one switch switch out before the other on comes on line.. Abortion really.. The standard ft control for most Thermals with the 8 pin works great but does not give you preview amps when it is plugged into the front 8 pin connection point... The 12 pin is around back, and you can put a switch on pins #3-#4 to make the machine show Preview amps with the better pedal, and then you don't have to use the POS twin switch setup..

That is all .There is a little connection point below the 12 pin for the cooler interface..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Well. So much for a “deal”. I got the plasma cutter instead. Going back. FFS, now I have do deal with the hassle of returning torch and leads and ****.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably just sent you the one they sent me.. Sucks for sure. I got mine in the mail same day, only because I knew there a limited supply of the ET-220i .. Amazon did send the correct one out, before I even got the Plasma back where it belongs. (Your place)
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Dumb сunt that Amazon

Post Thanks / Like

Aspect 230 on order instead. A $1000 more for the source delivered (thanks to Black Friday) but seems should be better spec and service.

Post Thanks / Like

$2537.99 for the Aspect is a good deal. Looks like a fine machine all around . I know dealing with the advanced process guys, they are on top of their game..

Now back to regular programming..

Chris,
    when you said "he is a master on hooking stuff up"

I wonder? Was out hooking up some more quick connect gas fittings to make changing out from Water cooled to air cooled setup without tools Got that done so I can use my #9 air cooled torch and not have to have the cooler on or plugged into the phase converter.. Just to have a really quiet welding setup sometimes..Anyway was looking through my 14 pins plugs, and found out the Hypertherm /Thermal dynamics plug I cut off of my box was plug, and play as it was.. Put it back on, and works great.. I did not have the machine here when I made the first mod..It was wired for the correct pins..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

You just reminded me I need to order a 14 pin and a small project box so I can get that done this week. I see all your fancy quick connect gas line fittings....

Welded a few more hours with the 301i yesterday just on single phase, still trying to figure out all the best settings and dial it in for my work. The machine is just so quiet when the cooler is off, I ran it through the fan test just to make sure they were working, even on high you can barely hear it, still the size and what this thing puts out is amazing. I have not ran into any issues so far or found any weaknesses. I have not done anything real thin or taken it down, almost never have a need so that is still in question.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

I used full output down in the lower freq's, and not even that much DC wave balance, it will really wet out very thick aluminum. Even with 100% argon.. Really shows just how hot this thing can run.. 200 hz it can puddle up things way beyond most other inverters do at it's output.I am just as impressed with the build quality. I thinking like you said earlier, it's not the # on the dial or spec sheet that Lorch was going for. It's was real world grunt.. Doing it with such a nice arc is impressive..It would be tough to find anything wrong with the arc.I knew right away this thing is right. I always wanted one of their high-end migs, because of how they work.. Their pulse really makes most others seem crude as heck.That is coming from MK/high end Lincoln pulse machines.. I never knew the tigs were such a sleeper.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Which makes me sad I missed out on the deal. Stupid Amazon. Oh, well.

Post Thanks / Like

If Lincoln made the aspect right, it sure is a full featured machine in it's price range.. Some times you just have to spend more to get exactly what you want..I am impressed with most of Lincolns new stuff on features, Just not sure if I want a TV screen hooked up to my welding machine.. Starting to get out of hand, and I am really starting to dig fewer,and fewer things to set.. It's why I grab the Esab Caddy mig for most of my mig to .250 I can start laying beads before the screen has settled down on most of the new ones..In fact mine does not have a screen at all.. I watched a youtube vid of the new Lincoln 330X engine drive. Very neat machine in size/features.. I still would rather have a old school layout of my 305g, without all the techie stuff thrown into the new units interface.. That said ,the Aspect has just enough without going crazy with the interface..
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-02-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

@Brand X are you aware of a source for the project box/switches? Also, and this is probably going a bit far afield: what are the other possibilities if you were to incorporate a switch or switches, that could do 'other' things? In other words: are there other reasons why one would want to jump pins together? I'm not familiar with how this could work. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was just a factory Hypertherm remote box.. The reason is to basically to add a way to get a remote/ local switch on the machine.. Esab/Tweco changed the machine when they had the 8 pin installed in it.. They just thought everybody would fall in line, and use the bad design ft pedal to make Preview amps available. It's garbage because it uses two switches to make it all work. The piece of tape inside the ft pedal is the key to it all working. If you step on it a bit sideways you end up with full amp starts of tough stops.. I just will not use that setup, and I still wanted the advantage of having preview amps without unplugging the cable.. That is what happens when you don't use the ft pedal they call for. It also opens up many more option on using a ft pedal. Firepower ft pedals work also. Like this one in 15ft.

https://www.amazon.com/Firepower-144.../dp/B01G8CARG0
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Thing wanted to double post and no delete..
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-02-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Mine was just a factory Hypertherm remote box.. The reason is to basically to add a way to get a remote/ local switch on the machine.. Esab/Tweco changed the machine when they had the 8 pin installed in it.. They just thought everybody would fall in line, and use the bad design ft pedal to make Preview amps available. It's garbage because it uses two switches to make it all work. The piece of tape inside the ft pedal is the key to it all working. If you step on it a bit sideways you end up with full amp starts of tough stops.. I just will not use that setup, and I still wanted the advantage of having preview amps without unplugging the cable.. That is what happens when you don't use the ft pedal they call for. It also opens up many more option on using a ft pedal. Firepower ft pedals work also. Like this one in 15ft.

https://www.amazon.com/Firepower-144.../dp/B01G8CARG0
    Yes - I read your previous posts on this, so I have a sense of what the constraints are. With regard to this pedal that you linked to, wouldn't that pedal also require the remote switch to work as intended, or is it the case that it obviates the need for the remote switch, and also gives you the preview amps? You didn't specify, so I'm unsure. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Duplicate post.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only pedal that gives you preview amps when plugged in to the 220/301 machines. It's a problem child if you ask me.. Just from using one.and converting to a single switch setup..The instructions came from the owner of SSC controls..

https://www.ssccontrols.com/product/...-arc-w4013200/

Chris,
    going to give some AR/HE 70%/30% a try.. I can get it in a 150 cf size to see if I like it.. I think with this machine it will be a nice combo.
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only pedal that gives you preview amps when plugged in to the 220/301 machines. It's a problem child if you ask me.. Just from using one.and converting to a single switch setup..The instructions came from the owner of SSC controls..

https://www.ssccontrols.com/product/...-arc-w4013200/

Chris,
    going to give some AR/HE 70%/30% a try.. I can get it in a 150 cf size to see if I like it.. I think with this machine it will be a nice combo.
    Thank you for the link.

Given the problems you've outlined, what I'm asking for is some guidance on a pre-made (if one exists) box/switch. My assumption is that with this switch, I can use any (almost?) pedal that connects to the 14-pin DIN port in the rear. I assume the box/switch goes between the machine and the pedal.

I'd prefer to have options for pedals, and I'm fine with either making or buying a switch. My preference is to buy a switch. Does this make sense?

Your help is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

The pedal connects to the front 8 pin connection on the welder. The rear is a automation 14 pin, and allowed me to hook up my Hypertherm remote trigger box to it..

Nothing goes between the ft control and the welder..

When I modified the ft pedal for my 186 (same funky twin switch one) I put the switch in the side of the pedal when changed it to a single switch design.. That machine did not have another way to access those pins I needed for preview amps.. The ET-2201 makes it simple.. Yes,a simple switch will do what you need..

This is what I had in the shop so I used it..
    I am sure Chris will supply Part # for his home built setup..
    If I did not have my own remote, then I would of built something.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1810947286?ii...8aArboEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-02-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for setting me straight, Brand X. My apologies - you did reference some of this in an earlier post.

Okay - I will stand by and see what he says.

Post Thanks / Like

CRCFX,

Amp 206044-1
    Amp 66506-9
    And you will need a size 17 cpc cable clamp. This should all come up as a package to order.
    Plastic project box size of your choice, I just ordered a 4x2.5x2, came with two for $7.
    You choice of SPST toggle or momentary switch.
    And whatever wire/length you want to use, 18ga will be fine for pins.

Get it all from Amazon for about $40 will take you about 15 mins to put together. Just use two pins to 3&4 and put one on each side of switch. It's really that easy, you can shove two wires in the socket 3&4 to try it out.

Scott,

You are going to love the Helium, I run HE50 because that is what they stock in 300's but I have used HE25 and worked about the same so you should be golden.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    CRCFX,

Amp 206044-1
    Amp 66506-9
    And you will need a size 17 cpc cable clamp. This should all come up as a package to order.
    Plastic project box size of your choice, I just ordered a 4x2.5x2, came with two for $7.
    You choice of SPST toggle or momentary switch.
    And whatever wire/length you want to use, 18ga will be fine for pins.

Get it all from Amazon for about $40 will take you about 15 mins to put together. Just use two pins to 3&4 and put one on each side of switch. It's really that easy, you can shove two wires in the socket 3&4 to try it out.
    Very nice, Jaws. Thank you for the detail. It is appreciated! I will go build one.

Post Thanks / Like

Your choice of SPST toggle or momentary switch.

That is where the rocker style switch Hypertherm uses is nice. Gives you both on one switch..

The control box gives you the amps while setting the low pulse amps. not that % don't work too. Just adds the option of seeing what they both are at once..
    I ran the fan test just to hear it run for a bit.. 4 speed fan, and they are all quiet. Not really a thing I am use to with most esab's.. (although caddy stuff was quiet.)

Yep, i think the HE mix should really do the trick.Need to keep 100% argon around though..

Here is some parts # for the 8 pin, in case you want to make a torch on-off button control. Just order extra wire to do both setups..

Thermal Arc 8 pin (male) parts

1-206062-4 #571-1-206062-4
    TE Connectivity Standard Circular Connecter STD Cable Clamp $5.57

66570-3 #571-665703
    TE Connectivity Standard Circular Connecter SODER PIN CNT 18
    (Quantity 8 @ $0.26/each) $2.08

206434-1 #571-2064341
    TE Connectivity Standard Circular Connecter PLUG REVERSE 11-8 $6.70

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7UJMAG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQG2F9D...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-02-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Your choice of SPST toggle or momentary switch.

That is where the rocker style switch Hypertherm uses is nice. Gives you both on one switch..

The control box gives you the amps while setting the low pulse amps. not that % don't work too. Just adds the option of seeing what they both are at once..
    I ran the fan test just to hear it run for a bit.. 4 speed fan, and they are all quiet. Not really a thing I am use to with most esab's.. (although caddy stuff was quiet.)

Yep, i think the HE mix should really do the trick.Need to keep 100% argon around though..

Here is some parts # for the 8 pin, in case you want to make a torch on-off button control. Just order extra wire to do both setups..

Thermal Arc 8 pin (male) parts

1-206062-4 #571-1-206062-4
    TE Connectivity Standard Circular Connecter STD Cable Clamp $5.57

66570-3 #571-665703
    TE Connectivity Standard Circular Connecter SODER PIN CNT 18
    (Quantity 8 @ $0.26/each) $2.08

206434-1 #571-2064341
    TE Connectivity Standard Circular Connecter PLUG REVERSE 11-8 $6.70

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V7UJMAG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQG2F9D...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Thank you, Brand X. Very helpful. I will look into this tomorrow. Is that a 3 position switch in the Hypertherm box?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist