+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Esab/Lorch tig Deal..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab/Lorch tig Deal..

Scott, looking foward to your run down on this thing after you get it. If I have to unplug pedal to see max set amps/preview so be it. Not real worried about that, and if I need a toggle then I think I can manage that modification based on your wiring layout. I am interested in arc qaulity, starting etc and running on the RPC. I am going to use one of my CK torches and a coolmate for now, I have an extra 8 pin TA pedal so hope that works, 1016? Something like that.

I just pulled up the listing for the 220, seems they are dwindling down in stock, awesome deal surprised not sold out yet.
    Last edited by Jawslandshark; 11-25-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

OK,
    I have to use my SCC Miller 14 pin/1K pot pedal to 8 pin adapter to test. Always worked on the other Thermal-arc inverters.... I am thinking I have a remote Hyperthrem contactor box i can add a 14 pin control plug too.. Depending on the layout of the rear 14 pin on the back of the machine..

That pedal you have will work fine..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

OK,
    I have to use my SCC Miller 14 pin/1K pot pedal to 8 pin adapter to test. Always worked on the other Thermal-arc inverters.... I am thinking I have a remote Hyperthrem contactor box i can add a 14 pin control plug too.. Depending on the layout of the rear 14 pin on the back of the machine..

That pedal you have will work fine. The 600285 works for sure.. Just some of the Thermal arc pedals have two pins jumped to sensing the pedal is plugged in No biggie on clipping that wire.. Older machines needed that setup to work We only need 5 pins, like the Miller machines. There are later esab units for the rebel that have a extra jump wire too.. Long time since I messed with any of those.(edit) The Thermal-Arc GTSW 300 I had needed the jumper pin to turn on the contactor for a button control.. The rest of them don't seem to need them.

PS- I only have one aluminum tig rod left.. not going to b much of a AC demo.. 1/16 at that..

Looks like you are good to go on the pedal..

https://www.usaweld.com/Thermal-Arc-...sterisk-ta.htm
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-25-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered it too. For what this unit can do on paper price is quite good. I presume Tweco fabricator 252i tig torch with hand controls should fit. I will add USAWeld pedal later, with 17 series torch..
    Last edited by Offwidth; 11-25-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know. Amazon sent me a Esab 100 plasma cutter. instead. That would be a 100 amp /3 phase/ 400 volt deal.. Kind of worthless to me..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-25-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

What?? Is this a case of them utterly screwing up? That would be a pain. I have ordered matching bits from another place.

Post Thanks / Like

Brand X - thanks for the posting. I didn't see anything listed here with respect to: 1) Who is the seller? It says Amazon Services, but is this via ESAB, or a reseller who has inventory with Amazon? 2) It shows that it's just the power supply. Is this correct? No ground lead, etc.? 3) Do we know if these are new or refurbished?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Well.. my package is on its way. I guess I will deal with disappointment on Wednesday. I just wonder what they will say.

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking power supply only. But you have to remember I got a euro spec Esab cutmater100.. Sent it back and the other one will be here on Wed...
    I really did not look over the package to see who send it.. It should be a new unit.. Plasma was but the box was opened at one time..

I did make my Preview setup,and got the correct input plug from Amazon. The box will toggle from off setting to either Momentary on and or latched on.. I will figure the correct plug when it shows.. Just set it up with two pins for the back 14 pin socket. It will just sit om my cart anyway, so will tie it off someway.. It will be a good fix, if it's needed. got to love Hypertherm's stuff..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CRCFX View Post
    Brand X - thanks for the posting. I didn't see anything listed here with respect to: 1) Who is the seller? It says Amazon Services, but is this via ESAB, or a reseller who has inventory with Amazon? 2) It shows that it's just the power supply. Is this correct? No ground lead, etc.? 3) Do we know if these are new or refurbished?

Thank you.
    Power supply and mains, nothing else. Amazon is seller, these are not refurbished, to my knowledge and been told ESAB does not market refurbished units at all. Just like the 60i I was getting mine from TX probably from ESAB warehouse, or stored somewhere at Amazon warehouse close by.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I am thinking power supply only. But you have to remember I got a euro spec Esab cutmater100.. Sent it back and the other one will be here on Wed...
    I really did not look over the package to see who send it.. It should be a new unit.. Plasma was but the box was opened at one time..

I did make my Preview setup,and got the correct input plug from Amazon. The box will toggle from off setting to either Momentary on and or latched on.. I will figure the correct plug when it shows.. Just set it up with two pins for the back 14 pin socket. It will just sit om my cart anyway, so will tie it off someway.. It will be a good fix, if it's needed. got to love Hypertherm's stuff..
    Is that a project box with a Hypertherm sticker on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Power supply and mains, nothing else. Amazon is seller, these are not refurbished, to my knowledge and been told ESAB does not market refurbished units at all. Just like the 60i I was getting mine from TX probably from ESAB warehouse, or stored somewhere at Amazon warehouse close by.
    Good to know, Jawslandshark. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

It is now.. I had no use for it, but knew someday it will come in handy The control box came with my Hypertherm 65 package.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Having seconds thoughts here. Think I really need ability to run on 120 on occasion. And losing 20A without third phase. Hmm. But the Aspect 230 or HTB 221 DV are twice the price. Need to decide before it comes in tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Offwidth View Post
    Having seconds thoughts here. Think I really need ability to run on 120 on occasion. And losing 20A without third phase. Hmm. But the Aspect 230 or HTB 221 DV are twice the price. Need to decide before it comes in tomorrow.
    You can do like Oscar did, get a cheap 5000 watt transformer for $150 and use the welder on 120V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Too me it's going to be all about arc quality.. 120 volt AC welding on most things is pretty useless. a cheaper DC 120 volt welder would work for most 120 use.,, I am thinking the Lorch should be at the very top on things that matter to me.. Since I can get probably get the extra 20 amps at my place.. If the overall arc quality matches the Esab 2200i AC/DC, then it will be as nice as welding machine as you can by anywhere from anyone.. That is what matters, and somewhat of a unknown . Only thing I am really worried about, should I have pulled the trigger on the 301 when it was a super deal? If it welds like the Thermal-arc 300 prowave, then somebody got a screaming deal..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-27-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

From the Lorch people themselves over here, they say the Esab branded units are similar to the Tweco branded units - Lorch T series hardware with a few features removed or changed.

The AC arc quality on my HT200 (itself a cut-down T series) is an absolute pleasure, and it's a far superior machine to the Esab Caddy 2200i... and I've used the caddy quite a bit, too. I really can't see you being disappointed by it.
    From what people say it's an arc similar to the old Sanrex-made ThermalArc machines. Smooth, stable, consistent, looks after tungsten sharpness, what more do you want. Also it has pulse on AC, too.

The T series have a stiffer arc (from what I've been told) but that stability is still there. Then again, Esab maybe have done their own arc tuning, who knows.

they're pretty good on power, as well. Can run a full 200 amps for extended periods on a 13 amp fused 240v supply here.

Let us know what you think when you finally get it

Post Thanks / Like

The Esab Caddy I had was very similar to the last model Sanrex.. Just had more features for button controls./stick/I had the ft control on mine.. The biggest thing with the caddytig, it was very sensitive to what it likes as far as electrode types.. It needed quality there, and Diamond Ground Tri-mix was some of the best.. I also ran as little of Electrode Positive start current as possible. It would mess the the tip bad, if you got a bad arc start. The Lorch has a bit more adjustment there and will be welcomed. Mine was the Sweden model, and not built in Poland, like most of the Caddy 2200I- 34 panel units.

Stick had a million adjustments, but would use my LM-200 way before I would use the esab. Just super nice right out of the box,

The 2220i was OK with Power, but the 200 amp China Thermal-arc 186 was about as good as it got with power of a generator.. Full 200 amps AC output on a 6000 watt generator running at 4000 ft.. Caddy would run 165 amps.. If the Lorch matches the China Model then it will be outstanding there.

2000 PPS on the Lorch. That should get it done.. The 200 HZ will be enough for me, since the 150HZ on the Esab, and Thermal machines worked well.. Always had a tight cone compaed to other machine ran at way higher freq's. Spec sheets say certain things that may or may not be important when using it. Got to take each machine into your shop, and try it. Up until then, just pissing in the wind..

I probably will not get to use the Machine for a few days, Need to head over the mountain passes before it gets too bad/late.. I might be able to power it up a bit, and see if my 3 phase rotary works with it.. All three of my inverters work fine on it, and pull way more Power then the Lorch will.If not stuck to 200 amps output on single phase input
    Not a deal killer with some work a rounds..The extra 20 amps is always welcomed
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-27-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the ET-220i is all sold out on Amazon. Hope mine is OK, or is the correct one this time?
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this thing is small and light! I think I remember seeing these at Fabtech a couple years ago but I must have forgot how compact they are. For this thing put out 300amps is amazing, you could carry this anywhere. I got the plug wired and powered it up for 3-phase, seems well built. I will run through the manual and see how it works later. I think 15 of these would fit in the same space as one Syncrowave 350 tigrunner just by comparing the two.
    Last edited by Jawslandshark; 11-27-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

UPS is super slow today.. Guess it was the one snowflake that hit the ground, and made them hand-off to the local delivery guy.. Lives up by me, so last one the route..

I should of been in Portland by now, but looks like I am running the winter passes at Midnight.. Oh well guess I can wire mine up before I leave.

The MIN current is what I am going to set first

Hold BACK Welding Parameter Button down while switching the power on.. CO8 set to on..Which is off. Just to see how low the arc will taper off in AC..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Well, UPS wanted a signature, so I will see it Friday. Time to think if I want to spend extra 1500 for Aspect 230 AC/DC instead. To get lower floor and higher ceiling in amps plus easier local service.

Post Thanks / Like

The lorch is excellent .Perfect..It's a upgraded Sanrex (IMO) I believe when Chris runs his, he will back me up on this.. Yes I had to add a interface box to see Preview amps when the ft control is plugged in. #3-#4 pins on the back works for that.. It gets around not having to unplug the ft control for setting amps..Which you can set peak amps where you want.. Others said that was not possible but it is...Bad net info.. I used my Miller SCC controls ft pedal, and it work perfect on it too.Still can use on my other 14 pin thermal-arc The way Esab setup preview amps was to use the goofy 2 switch SCC control pedal First seen on the Thermal Arc 186 out of China..

My machine did not have a C08 setting, and have to leave it along. It's fine as is,

This machine was worth the List price by the way..

Lincoln might have a lower and Higher floor.,but kind of doubt they can even reach the bar that this machine sets..
    Last edited by Brand X; 11-28-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I got to run some test beads, works perfect on the RPC, took it up to 275 amps without issue. Definatley a slept on machine probably due to the 3 phase for the higher power. I set it on 200 amps with HE50 for some 1/4 6061 and puddled immediately on 60hz so I don't think single phase would be an issue for aluminum but have to check with straight argon and plugged in on single phase. The adjustments took me a bit to run through, the HF starts seem to be solid. It has an arc quality other than what I am used too, in a good way, it's actually what I was looking for and the little bit of pulse I did try was flawless, nice and defined. I will have to run it head to head with my other tigs and the same settings to compare.

I need to put in more seat time with the unit and get real familiar with the layout, It makes pretty welds so far on aluminum and for the little bit I have done am impressed with the ESAB Lorch. I will have to do what Scott did for the preview amps eventually but it has not bothered me so far.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys lost me with all that foot pedal, toggle switch, controller boxes, clipped wires, unplug for display, 14-8 pin adaptors...what? What happens if you use the 8 pin pedal from SSC Controls (C850-0825)?

My inquire to Esab regarding the water cooler power supply on the 301 got me the following answer:
    The ET 301 does not have a power outlet, but does come as a water cooled package. The power for the water cooler is run through a interconnection cable.
    Gee wiz I knew that. All I could find about Esab W4001303 water recirculator is that it runs on 110V, that's it no further information. Why all the secrets?
    Esab ignored the other question about the manual. I guess they don't want anybody reading that either. Not impressed by all that. I have received better, more detailed answers about other inquires from Miller and especially from Lincoln.

Jaws: Since you have the 301 could you post a photo of the back of the machine?
    Wondering what kind of outlet or connection it has for that "interface cable". Can't get that online either. Does it state any info about that in the manual? Did you get a owner's manual?

I do look forward to any comparisons you do with the 301, It's all about quality for me as well.
    Last edited by metalman21; 11-28-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: mangled a word, spelling is important!
    Ernie F.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist