+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mig welding / amps neede to run .045 in a ln-7

Post Thanks / Like

mig welding / amps neede to run .045 in a ln-7

I sold a guy a welder thermal arc 180 amps dc. he asked if I thought it would run .045 wire in a ln-7. I said yes. didn't really think about it just answered. today he calls crying the guy at the welding shop told him 180 amps isn't enough to run .045 wire. I think it should be plenty, but have no experience. what say you guys? is 180 enough to run .045 wire in a ln-7? thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mig welding / amps neede to run .045 in a ln-7

it is... just. It'll run 045 at the bottom end of practical range in short-circuit, but it'll be rough compared to a smaller wire. 035 or even 030 is a much better match for that amperage range.

The fact that they're running 045 means they're probably running 200 amps+ on fairly heavy material, and if they say the 180 isn't enough then they're definitely running well over 200 amps. In practical terms, it means the welder is stuttering and running crappy at the wire speeds they're used to.

Miller weld calculator says at 170 amps, 045 wire is running around 160 ipm, which is pretty slow... and no idea on the duty cycle of that TA 180... but theoretically if you had a job that called for 150-170 amps SC with 045 wire, the TA180 and LN7 will do it no bother... so you were right in what you said.

It's not your fault that the guy didn't know how big a machine he needed for the job... That's HIS job to know, not yours.
    Last edited by Munkul; 11-26-2019 at 04:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The will just work on 180 amps.
    I would not use .045 on 180 amps I would run 045 250amps or greater.
    But the buyer should know what they need.

http://www.weldwire.net/weld_products/ww70s-6/

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WILLYSOVERLAND View Post
    I sold a guy a welder thermal arc 180 amps dc. he asked if I thought it would run .045 wire in a ln-7. I said yes. didn't really think about it just answered. today he calls crying the guy at the welding shop told him 180 amps isn't enough to run .045 wire. I think it should be plenty, but have no experience. what say you guys? is 180 enough to run .045 wire in a ln-7? thanks again.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks guys. I lost that friend last night. Not a big deal i was going to get rid of him anyway. I dont need friends like that, i had enough of them like that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist