Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 86 of 86

Thread: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yeah, the ring piping really didn't make sense without some way to drain it.
    ANY wet piping needs a way to drain it.
    however i have found if its running through hot parts of the building we get no build up in the pipes.
    until it gets to the air conditioned workplace. then it cools down and builds up in the pipes.

    the other issue is when you have air pipes out side, eg an outdoor compressor shed, and the outdoor temps are below freezing. you can get ice build up in the pipe.

  2. Likes tackit liked this post
  3. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    5,916
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    My shop is only 24' wide, the welding table is centered in the middle of the shop, my small compressor is only 12' away from the welding table so I just use a rubber hose off a drainable water trap/filer mounted to the compressor, if I went to the wall to hook a to a quick disconnect, the hose would have to be over 12' long anyway.

    I have a 1/2 hose on the compressor and a 3/8 hose that goes through the roof trusses and drops down over the welding table.

    More important than airlines, have you recently hydro-tested your old compressor's air-receiver tank?



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by tackit; 04-04-2020 at 11:43 AM.

  4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  5. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    My shop is only 24' wide, the welding table is centered in the middle of the shop, my small compressor is only 12' away from the welding table so I just use a rubber hose off a drainable water trap/filer mounted to the compressor, if I went to the wall to hook a to a quick disconnect, the hose would have to be over 12' long anyway.

    I have a 1/2 hose on the compressor and a 3/8 hose that goes through the roof trusses and drops down over the welding table.

    More important than airlines, have you recently hydro-tested your old compressor's air-receiver tank?
    one of the issues with the water trap/filter being close to or on the compressor is the air doesn't cool down enough to remove a lot of moisture.
    especially so with portable air compressors.

    the hydro tester look interesting.
    not something i've seen over here. talking to works air compressor service crowd, the re guard it as a non issue. the tanks pin hole and leak before they let go.
    i certainly have not heard of any failing over here.

  6. Likes ronsii, tackit liked this post
  7. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    5,916
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    one of the issues with the water trap/filter being close to or on the compressor is the air doesn't cool down enough to remove a lot of moisture.
    especially so with portable air compressors.

    the hydro tester look interesting.
    not something i've seen over here. talking to works air compressor service crowd, the re guard it as a non issue. the tanks pin hole and leak before they let go.
    i certainly have not heard of any failing over here.
    I haven't had a water problem so far, If my compressor was used everyday all day long I'm sure I would have a different situaton.

    For added protection, I put small filters I get from USAWeld on my Harbor Freight sand blasting cabinet and my plasma machine. https://www.usaweld.com/Super-Dry-fo...p/superdry.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  8. Likes tweake liked this post
  9. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I haven't had a water problem so far, If my compressor was used everyday all day long I'm sure I would have a different situaton.

    For added protection, I put small filters I get from USAWeld on my Harbor Freight sand blasting cabinet and my plasma machine.
    how much water comes down to climate. we average something like 80% humidity here so we tend to get heaps in the water trap, especially on the high humidity days.
    one thing you really have to avoid is moisture condensing in the lines. it builds up and then floods the filters. had that happen a few times on the old setup.

    the desiccant filters are great. i have one but i find it doesn't last long. really hard to find the big ones here and i suspect if i could get one its would be horribly priced.

  10. Likes tackit liked this post
  11. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    5,916
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    how much water comes down to climate. we average something like 80% humidity here so we tend to get heaps in the water trap, especially on the high humidity days.
    one thing you really have to avoid is moisture condensing in the lines. it builds up and then floods the filters. had that happen a few times on the old setup.

    the desiccant filters are great. i have one but i find it doesn't last long. really hard to find the big ones here and i suspect if i could get one its would be horribly priced.
    I only have elevated moisture problems when going from spring into summer, at the beginning of spring everything rusts in the shop I didn't oil in the fall.

    I the fall I buy a spray can of CorossionX and go over the drill press and mill columns and tables and any hand tools I leave out over winter_ all-electric tools and grinding and flap discs I put in the basement until I open the shop up usually in April. I even have too oil steel in the racks. Stay safe and healthy my Kiwi friend, best wishes from America.

  12. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    W. Wisc
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by tweake View Post
    their diagram is poor imho. no cooler, tho the lines to the drier can act as a cooler if long enough. main filters (including oil coalescing) are in the wrong place. you want them before the refrigerator drier.
    they are there to protect the drier. the drain legs after the drier are somewhat redundant. the ring main is ok.

    Attachment 1709847
    You may be misreading it. They have a coalescing filter before the refrig. And one after it. They just also plumbed in a bypass loop to skip the dryer if need be. One benefit of the ring is that you get air from both directions at each drop which can help minimize supply restrictions some for higher volumes.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

  13. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Stay safe and healthy my Kiwi friend, best wishes from America.
    i hope you guys are staying safe.
    from what we see on the news its looking pretty fubar over there.
    at least we are not getting bombed like our grandparents did !

  14. Likes tackit liked this post
  15. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Anyone use copper coils for air lines? (The kind for A/C refrigerant?)

  16. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside of Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    Anyone use copper coils for air lines? (The kind for A/C refrigerant?)
    I’ve run them before with straight lengths of HVAC copper. Works great. This was a standard alternative to black pipe 30 years ago.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

  17. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is the best way to run air compressor lines

    Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    Anyone use copper coils for air lines? (The kind for A/C refrigerant?)
    a little. just for short sections of small diameter.
    trouble is once you get up to any decent size the cost goes through the roof.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,594,872,284.41181 seconds with 15 queries