+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to check out this powerstroke today. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to check out this powerstroke today. What do you think?

If I think of it I'll try to video it and txt it to ya' tomorrow.

And to add to my earlier post about oil, I switched back to delo400 about year and a half ago and am saving money oil consumption(smoke) cut in half and way less drippy leaks!!! cause that's the one thing synthetic is good for iis getting past seals and gaskets
    Last edited by ronsii; 12-02-2019 at 01:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the mile posts/post miles along the highway to check the odometer.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Ahhhh, the tried and true old way that always works and if you got a stopwatch you can check the speedo too.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the stop whatch. 1 mile at 60 mph for 1 minute. I’ll get some delo tomorrow. The oil was really black and I check the air filter

Post Thanks / Like

Going to check out this powerstroke today. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

Keep shifting that thing without a clutch, and you'll be replacing synchros in no time
    Don’t be a “hater” sammm...

He is gonna be a pro by the end of the week....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

The boy needs a road ranger tranny!!

Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    might be easier to use a gps. most phones have one on google driving or waze has one
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

You most likely have 3:73 gears but the only way to know for sure is to check the axle tag which is under one of the cover bolts. Why do you want to chop the muffler off? You'll get tired of that annoying drone in the cab soon enough. I like em whisper quiet so I can hear my music.
    If you want to hear the turbo peel the foil off the CAC tube. If you really want to hear the turbo peel the foil and get a wicked wheel. If you're into the noise and "hey everybody look at me!" thing I guess.
    Last edited by bigb; 12-02-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Black oil is kinda normal for a diesel... generically speaking

And Bigb is right about the noise... If I'm going on a long trip on the freeway I actually put earplugs in

Post Thanks / Like

7.3's because they're so reliable and are "pre emissions" command Much higher prices than you'd think. You actually got a great deal even with that mileage.

Review these links for good info on what you should look for;

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...99-03-psd.html
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...on-thread.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    If I think of it I'll try to video it and txt it to ya' tomorrow.

And to add to my earlier post about oil, I switched back to delo400 about year and a half ago and am saving money oil consumption(smoke) cut in half and way less drippy leaks!!! cause that's the one thing synthetic is good for iis getting past seals and gaskets
    The guy I got my V10 from ran synthetic (Proudly) and when I got the truck it drank oil like crazy, over a quart in 800 miles. I almost sold it right there, started changing the oil at 1,000 miles with 5w30 Chevron dino oil. Four changes later it hardly uses any oil, gets better fuel mileage, and you don't hear the lash adjusters on a cold start any more. Last oil change went 4,000 miles on a quart and a half. And yes I swear by Delo in my diesels.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider Moto if I recall you spend a lot of time in the forest cutting wood, keeping the exhaust system intact will reduce the chances of your vehicle starting a fire.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    The guy I got my V10 from ran synthetic (Proudly) and when I got the truck it drank oil like crazy, over a quart in 800 miles. I almost sold it right there, started changing the oil at 1,000 miles with 5w30 Chevron dino oil. Four changes later it hardly uses any oil, gets better fuel mileage, and you don't hear the lash adjusters on a cold start any more. Last oil change went 4,000 miles on a quart and a half. And yes I swear by Delo in my diesels.
    Yeah I know quite a few people around here that are self proclaimed 'Diesel experts' which is the whole reason I put synthetic in mine when I got it... because according to them it would cure all the problems and give me double the mileage!!!! well after a year or so of having an oil bill just about as high as the fuel bill I started getting cheap especially after realizing most of the other things(BS) they had told me was not happening either while it still uses oil at least I don't have to keep a gallon with me for a trip to the east side

They almost convinced me to put synthetic in the tranny... glad I didn't cause that is a surefire way to have an auto tranny leaking all over the place... although it really wouldn't have made much difference as the last tranny I built and put in it has been pretty tough.. no issues yet (knock knock) the one it came with lasted a couple weeks, the replacement that the diesel expert had rebuilt for me lasted a month.month and a half. and this is all before I put a charge air cooler in it and chipped it!!! going up snoqualmie with one sled in the bed floored I crested at 50mph the sled only around 500 I think of course I'm a little on the heavy side... but this is a 3/4 ton pickup!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't eat synthetic beef, and I don't use synthetic oil. Take it any way ya wanna

I will say, however, that I've had excellent results with synthetic grease. Who woulda thunk. Valvoline synthetic GL2. Stickier, slipperier, and more water resistant. Them soybeans are doin' good things I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

And ya can use the stuff on yer waffle iron...……………………...best f'n waffles i ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!! you crack me up

I thought synthetic grease was bad cause it caused skidding???

Post Thanks / Like

Skidding ain't a bad thing...………………………………………….waffle in...……………...waffle out...…………..no need for the latest snowflake diet from LA. It's a win win.

Shlooooooooop…………………...Name:  mutley.gif
Views: 387
Size:  9.3 KB Kinda like greezzzzzzed lightnin'

Post Thanks / Like

So is synthetic grease compatible with the old grease? Reason I ask is I started using Mobil-1 synthetic grease on my front end a few years ago and the one thing I noticed is when the weather is hot some of that red synthetic will drip out onto the driveway just sitting there.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yeah I know quite a few people around here that are self proclaimed 'Diesel experts' which is the whole reason I put synthetic in mine when I got it... because according to them it would cure all the problems and give me double the mileage!!!! well after a year or so of having an oil bill just about as high as the fuel bill I started getting cheap especially after realizing most of the other things(BS) they had told me was not happening either while it still uses oil at least I don't have to keep a gallon with me for a trip to the east side

They almost convinced me to put synthetic in the tranny... glad I didn't cause that is a surefire way to have an auto tranny leaking all over the place... although it really wouldn't have made much difference as the last tranny I built and put in it has been pretty tough.. no issues yet (knock knock) the one it came with lasted a couple weeks, the replacement that the diesel expert had rebuilt for me lasted a month.month and a half. and this is all before I put a charge air cooler in it and chipped it!!! going up snoqualmie with one sled in the bed floored I crested at 50mph the sled only around 500 I think of course I'm a little on the heavy side... but this is a 3/4 ton pickup!!!
    You know, I'm not sure about the Ford autos, but I've been using the Allison TranSyn fluid in Allisons and the newer GM autos. The 545's and the World series transmissions in hay stackers see the most abuse there is (besides a garbage truck). Those cheap little 545's last a whole lot longer and run cooler on that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    So is synthetic grease compatible with the old grease? Reason I ask is I started using Mobil-1 synthetic grease on my front end a few years ago and the one thing I noticed is when the weather is hot some of that red synthetic will drip out onto the driveway just sitting there.
    The synthetic is NOT compatible. You have to purge the mineral based stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey!!!! get back in that other thread Sam

heh heh

Post Thanks / Like

I can pull up countless articles on grease compatibility, but the bottom line is...…….the synthetic stuff doesn't mix with traditional greases.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to try the stuff on the new (back in around 2014) trailer. Have never repacked the bearings since, and I'm using it on the coupler too. I'm pleased. No ****. It's been good stuff.

The trailer bearings came packed with the usual (and wrong) high temp mineral grease, and I completely cleaned them before using the synthetic. (High temp grease is just plain stupid on wheel bearings...………..no protection during warmup)

Post Thanks / Like

What impressed me was the coupler. Put regular grease on the coupler, and it's shiny after a bit of use...……...no grease film.

The synthetic crap leaves a bit of grease even when it's been run for a while.

Lemme stress...…..my experience is limited to grease...…….I hate synthetic motor oil.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW Moto...………..ya got a cute daughter. She's a real prize. Must be a skip in the gene pool somewhereName:  mutley.gif
Views: 359
Size:  9.3 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist