+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harbor Freight Titanium Flux Core not arcing on some metals

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight Titanium Flux Core not arcing on some metals

Hi all. I am new to this forum as well as to weldng. I have a Harbor Freight Titanium Flux core 125 unit. I have used it successfully, but lately when I tried to use it of weld some metal legs I was not able to get it to arc. I actually returned the machine and swapped it out. The new one did the same thing. How does the machne distinguish which metal to arc?? The ground was in the same place for pieces that arced and those that didn't. I don't get it. Any thoughts? They were all clean metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Titanium Flux Core not arcing on some metals

The machine doesn't know anything about the metal nor does it have any way to find out.... that task is up to the person running it

Did you actually grind/sand the metal where you hooked up the ground? also just the slightest bit of paint or clear coat will make the wire not conduct and hence no sparky...

For first time just starting out guys it is best to grind/sand anywhere you are going to try to weld(and where the ground lead is hooked up((both sides)) ).... and when I say grind/sand I mean right down to bare metal no rust/paint/scale showing.

One other thing... post up some pics if you can.. cause you never know might be something simple one of us can spot.

Also, Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by ronsii; 12-07-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Titanium Flux Core not arcing on some metals

Also remember to snip the electrode before pulling the trigger. When you get a little ball on the end, the surface of that ball might have a fine coating of slag that insulates the electrode. Like others said, sand/grind the ground contact area and the area you're about to weld.
    ...And a rock feels no pain; and an island never cries.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist