Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Knee Replacement coming up!

Post Thanks / Like

Total Knee Replacement coming up!

Not specific to welding, but I'm sure that many of the members have had this done.

I'm going in for a total knee replacement. I blew up my knee back in 1983, and now it's bone on bone. Grinds and pops when I walk or kneel. Aches going up and down stairs.

So, our deductibles are paid up for the year, might as well get er done!

Not looking forward to the adventure, but it's time to get it fixed.
    Lincoln Precision TIG 185.
    Flex-Loc 150 torch.
    Super-Flex hose.
    Lincoln MIG 180.
    Victor Oxy/Act torch set.
    DeWalt Bandsaw with SWAG stand

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Total Knee Replacement coming up!

I think you'll be fine. My wife had both knees replaced 14 years ago and is still completely pain free and has full range of motion. Go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had both knees done a month apart 2 years ago. He was up and around as soon as the general wore off. Said it felt better then than what he had endured for the previous 5 years. He was actually prowling his farm in the pickup within 4 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
    Not specific to welding, but I'm sure that many of the members have had this done.

I'm going in for a total knee replacement. I blew up my knee back in 1983, and now it's bone on bone. Grinds and pops when I walk or kneel. Aches going up and down stairs.

So, our deductibles are paid up for the year, might as well get er done!

Not looking forward to the adventure, but it's time to get it fixed.
    My mother got it done and she said you cannot kneel anymore once you get it done. She got the titanium implants.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember , everyone responds differently . The same goes for the drugs. I Had my first one done 10 weeks ago . Therapy is a must too !!!

IF possible ask for a pain block, that really makes a difference. IF avaiable, take advantage of robotic assisted surgery, it is definitely worth it. I paid $500.00 out of pocket and for me there was a difference. A fellow patient in therapy had his done at the same time as mine. My movement and range of motion was beyond his at the sametime. I had 120 degree bend and he couldn't do 90. A good range is 130 to 135.

For me the first two to three weeks was miserable with pain. I stopped prescribed meds at 9 weeks. Then and now only ibuprofen. I found i BEER profen works best for sleeping.

My next replacement is scheduled for March. My guy only does knees and hips and has a three month wait for surgery. He did my wife's ,her sisters, and friends so he is my go to guy.

I suggest investing in this wraparound ice pack. It's the same one they used at therapy, it is great !!! good luck !!!

https://www.amazon.com/Elasto-Gel-Ho...orr&th=1&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers for a fast recovery WenValley
    Few things
    1-get in the pool as much as you can before your procedure stretching your body will allow the Dr to move muscles and tendons around
    2-they have a wrap for knees that uses pumped water from a tank that has ice in it that will be easier to use
    3- get a massage therapist versed in these replacements as with the Dr moving things around the therapist can get them back this was the biggest step
    4- get back in pool when Dr releases you
    5- since we feel Dr over prescribe we cut them in half right when we got home. Naturally pain management is first.
    These observations are from 4 knees 2 my father-in-law’s 1 at a time 1st was by far the worse he wasn’t prepared took 3 months to recover . When it came time for his second he started 6 months early stretching he was back at the gym in 6 weeks.
    My wife had a double. She was up and walking without even a cane in 4 weeks. She credits a great Dr (she was his last surgery) going to the gym before and after and her massage therapist.

Post Thanks / Like

knee replacement surgery is the one part you must do the correct physical therapy for or you WILL build up scar tissue in the knee and be worse off than before the surgery ...I had both hips replaced thinking my knees would be next, after the hips were done, 3 months apart, within a few months my knees slowly stopped hurting and now a few years later they feel fine, I watched alot of people at rehab that had knee surgery and the PT looked painful and sounded that way from their sounds of pain, but in the long run it was the best thing they did....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the input and suggestions. I've order the gel cold pack as prescribed. I appreciate your help.
    Flex-Loc 150 torch.
    Super-Flex hose.
    Lincoln MIG 180.

Post Thanks / Like

My first knee was done in 2009, and second in 2011. I found that oxycodone worked best to relieve pain, compared to hydrocodone. Oxy works in 20 to 30 minutes, while hydro takes 3 hours to become effective. Not knowing any better, I dropped my first knee into the hands of the physical therapists. Ended up with heterotypic ossifications on top of the knee from forceful manipulation by stupid therapist. I did my own pt on the second knee, and got better range of motion with far less swelling and pain. I found that the ice water pump worked far better than the wrap to control swelling. I can, now, stand at my lathe for hours at a time, and hike a rocky trail almost every other day in the summer... PAIN FREE! I devised my own methods and apparatuses for knee recovery, which proved to be better and far less painful than what I experienced at the professionals' studio. Just PM me, if you are interested in learning what I came up with... be happy to share my ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this....I'm thinking I'm in better shape than I think. The knees hurt, and I gotta grab onto something to get up from a squat, but other than that....they're still motorin'.

Good luck with the rehab. Hell, I guess it ain't luck...…..it's just a lot of hard work...if you get a decent therapist.

Post Thanks / Like

K'kins, and I, used to do weights at a gym that was part of a PT clinic. Reasonable membership fees.

Anyways...…...I'd always see these poor bastards come into the gym with their therapist. Some perky 20ish girl, telling the ol' gent what "we" are gonna do next. I'd like to be fly on the wall when Miss Perky hits 80, breaks a hip, and has some snot nosed kid tellin' her what "we" are gonna do next on the torture machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    K'kins, and I, used to do weights at a gym that was part of a PT clinic. Reasonable membership fees.

Anyways......I'd always see these poor bastards come into the gym with their therapist. Some perky 20ish girl, telling the ol' gent what "we" are gonna do next. I'd like to be fly on the wall when Miss Perky hits 80, breaks a hip, and has some snot nosed kid tellin' her what "we" are gonna do next on the torture machines.
    One of the problems with "therapy" is that one must show up for the appointment at mid-day after the joint has swollen, thus making flexure more difficult, adding to the pain. After suffering through the normal, accepted routine for my first knee, suffering through the induced pain, I chose to restructure the routine for the second knee. I learned that running the knee through my adjusted techniques produced far less pain when I performed the every-other-day workout upon first arising in the morning. This took full advantage of the decreased swelling, occurring overnight, making flexure much easier. One major factor that was lacking when being handled by a professional therapist was that I, rarely, was given any feedback, as to whether or not I was making progress in recovering flexibility of the joint. Only when the therapist got out his goniometer, and setting it alongside my leg to take a crude measurement, was I given any indication of success. I, subsequently, devised simple methods that provided immediate feedback, as to any success or regression. These methods should be incorporated in all therapy sessions to give us obvious goals to shoot for.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point.

My biggest fear comes from what I've seen,, and this may only be because I live in a backwater.

The clinic is well recognized, but the "therapists" are not anything but minimum wage kids doing a routine on a print out. The "doc" gives them a printout for each patient, and the kid just runs the patient thru the routine...……….with absolutely no idea what's to be accomplished...…….and I saw kids that didn't even know how to adjust the weight machines...….a real road to injury right there in itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point.

My biggest fear comes from what I've seen,, and this may only be because I live in a backwater.

The clinic is well recognized, but the "therapists" are not anything but minimum wage kids doing a routine on a print out. The "doc" gives them a printout for each patient, and the kid just runs the patient thru the routine...……….with absolutely no idea what's to be accomplished...…….and I saw kids that didn't even know how to adjust the weight machines...….a real road to injury right there in itself.
    Here's one for ya... When I was rehabbing at physical therapy, following my spinal fusion of L4-L5, I fell onto my butt off of an apparatus that never should have been approved for use. Fortunately, I was standing between parallel bars, so I was able to slow my fall. Never went back. If damage to my back had occurred, due to the fall, I would be writing this from my property in Costa Rica after receiving settlement.

Post Thanks / Like

I was recently advised that I need two new knees and surgery to correct spinal stenosis at L4-L5, so this has been very informative, thank you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Jocks can tell you more about recovery than anyone. Look for some older football/soccer guys for advice. Gyms are a fair start. Forget muscle meatheads.Gray headed former athletes(current coaches) are the best "elderly advice".
    If You were in South Dade I'd tell you to go to Shulas for a drink and advice(and maybe a doc referral). Marino gets one every week...LOL
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 12-11-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
    I was recently advised that I need two new knees and surgery to correct spinal stenosis at L4-L5, so this has been very informative, thank you all.
    I need both knees replaced too. My doctor specifically told me only do one at a time and 5 to 6 months between surgeries is about right. I know two people that did both at the same time, not happy campers at all. Even the therapist said one at a time is better.
    I was told that by doing one at a time, they do a pain block which I stated before.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this....I'm thinking I'm in better shape than I think. The knees hurt, and I gotta grab onto something to get up from a squat, but other than that....they're still motorin'.

Good luck with the rehab. Hell, I guess it ain't luck...…..it's just a lot of hard work...if you get a decent therapist.
    go get a gel shot in each knee( 2 minute procedure that doesnt hurt) and see how much better your knees feel..there are no bad side effects from this....and insurance covers them..if you have insurance...if not its still worth paying for to get rid of that pain..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I need both knees replaced too. My doctor specifically told me only do one at a time and 5 to 6 months between surgeries is about right. I know two people that did both at the same time, not happy campers at all. Even the therapist said one at a time is better.
    I was told that by doing one at a time, they do a pain block which I stated before.
    the pain block is just for the surgery and wears off in a few days, I had that with my shoulder surgery and could not move my arm for 3 days, no pain but not able to move it either, if they do it in your knee, you wont be able to stand for a few days ,or you can stand but will have to hop around because your leg will just be numb...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    the pain block is just for the surgery and wears off in a few days, I had that with my shoulder surgery and could not move my arm for 3 days, no pain but not able to move it either, if they do it in your knee, you wont be able to stand for a few days ,or you can stand but will have to hop around because your leg will just be numb...
    I had the pain block for my knee. Doctor said it only last 24 hours tops.
    They want you moving basically the same day. I was only in hospital one night which is probably why it's short term.
    They want you in and out quickly these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to here about that. My mom got both knees replaced 12 years ago. They made her walk almost immediately after the surgery. I helped her rehab and I basically had to do very little. Apparently if you can handle the pain you can get moving very soon. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I had the pain block for my knee. Doctor said it only last 24 hours tops.
    They want you moving basically the same day. I was only in hospital one night which is probably why it's short term.
    They want you in and out quickly these days.

I had both hips replaced 3 months apart..only spent the night in the hospital and I was up walking to the bathroom that night...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norman View Post
    Sorry to here about that. My mom got both knees replaced 12 years ago. They made her walk almost immediately after the surgery. I helped her rehab and I basically had to do very little. Apparently if you can handle the pain you can get moving very soon. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery!
    Thanks. My surgery was in AM and was walking hours later. The swelling was unbelievable. They want you to bend, straighten, and walk while your knee is the size of a melon. One night in hospital and in the morning therapist has me walking up and down stairs. It was rough.
    It's been 14 weeks and getting better. It still bothers me and has a weird feeling but definitely worth it.
    Other knee scheduled for March. Not really crazy about it but not really a option.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the OP, and wanted to pass along this update.

I went into the clinic on Dec. 19th at 0830. The clinic "crew" was like NASCAR, I was into surgery within an hour, and was in recovery before noon. Was wheeled up to my room, where my wife was waiting. I was able to order lunch off of the menu.

The anesthesia is freaking amazing. No headache. No nausea. Almost no pain from the surgery. But they pack you full of slow release pain meds and nerve blocks so the pain is greatly controlled. I was walking with a walker and a therapist around 1400, and I was released from the clinic and was home by 1700 that same day.

I was walking with the walker, and was about two or three on the pain meter. The next day, pain going up, by afternoon I was about 8 or 9, and I have a high pain threshold. I was watching the clock for my next "hit" of Oxy and tylenol. Really a tough two days. I could feel the long term pain block stuff leaving, I felt like a refrigerator that was defrosting. A very odd sensation.

I apologize if this is getting too wordy, I'm trying to keep it short.

So, surgery was on a Thursday, I quit the Oxy on Sunday morning. Just Tylenol and Methocarbomal. I quit using the walker on Sunday. My post op visit was on Dec. 24th, six days after surgery. I walked into the clinic with no walker and no cane. So, they must use some amazing epoxy.

My surgeon said that they use a variety of spacers to tighten up the joint depending on how active the patient is, and how hard the patient will push the new knee. I recall as I was being pushed into the OR, that there was a table with stainless steel (or whatever they use) parts all laid out in rows.

I started the P.T. portion, and my last P.T. session is today. So, I'm just over three weeks out from surgery. I'm walking better than I have in a long time. Some night time discomfort. Lots of nerve twitches and shooting pains, with spasms. Just enough to make sleep difficult.

If you want more specific details, just PM me and I will provide any help that I can.

I'm very grateful to my wife for her care and love, and for the surgical team that can do these amazing procedures.
    Flex-Loc 150 torch.
    Super-Flex hose.
    Lincoln MIG 180.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news congratulations kudos to your home nurse