+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Knee Replacement coming up!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Total Knee Replacement coming up!

Glad its going well for you. my mother in law had her first one done 3 weeks ago and refuses to do the exercixes because they hurt wahwah she is still using a walker and swinging the leg without bending im thinking unless she pulls her head out her *** and starts folllowing doctors direections she is going to be a mass of sscar tissue that hurts worse than before. But she never has been good at doing what is needed the therapist is pissed but she is going to do it her way.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
    I'm the OP, and wanted to pass along this update.

I went into the clinic on Dec. 19th at 0830. The clinic "crew" was like NASCAR, I was into surgery within an hour, and was in recovery before noon. Was wheeled up to my room, where my wife was waiting. I was able to order lunch off of the menu.

The anesthesia is freaking amazing. No headache. No nausea. Almost no pain from the surgery. But they pack you full of slow release pain meds and nerve blocks so the pain is greatly controlled. I was walking with a walker and a therapist around 1400, and I was released from the clinic and was home by 1700 that same day.

I was walking with the walker, and was about two or three on the pain meter. The next day, pain going up, by afternoon I was about 8 or 9, and I have a high pain threshold. I was watching the clock for my next "hit" of Oxy and tylenol. Really a tough two days. I could feel the long term pain block stuff leaving, I felt like a refrigerator that was defrosting. A very odd sensation.

I apologize if this is getting too wordy, I'm trying to keep it short.

So, surgery was on a Thursday, I quit the Oxy on Sunday morning. Just Tylenol and Methocarbomal. I quit using the walker on Sunday. My post op visit was on Dec. 24th, six days after surgery. I walked into the clinic with no walker and no cane. So, they must use some amazing epoxy.

My surgeon said that they use a variety of spacers to tighten up the joint depending on how active the patient is, and how hard the patient will push the new knee. I recall as I was being pushed into the OR, that there was a table with stainless steel (or whatever they use) parts all laid out in rows.

I started the P.T. portion, and my last P.T. session is today. So, I'm just over three weeks out from surgery. I'm walking better than I have in a long time. Some night time discomfort. Lots of nerve twitches and shooting pains, with spasms. Just enough to make sleep difficult.

If you want more specific details, just PM me and I will provide any help that I can.

I'm very grateful to my wife for her care and love, and for the surgical team that can do these amazing procedures.
    thats good news..after my hips were replaced my surgeon said it will take a full year or more till everything heals back in place and residual pains or sensations to disappear and thats normal, now a few years later they are great, no pain and can hike for miles with absolutely no discomfort..this past February I had major shoulder surgery and so far it feels much better , but still have every so often a sensation when moving the shoulder to the end of range of motion and surgeon said that will go away in time...if done right replacement or repair surgery is a life changer for the better....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    Glad its going well for you. my mother in law had her first one done 3 weeks ago and refuses to do the exercixes because they hurt wahwah she is still using a walker and swinging the leg without bending im thinking unless she pulls her head out her *** and starts folllowing doctors direections she is going to be a mass of sscar tissue that hurts worse than before. But she never has been good at doing what is needed the therapist is pissed but she is going to do it her way.
    sad to say but your mother in law will be a cripple in short time , the scar tissue will build till she cant walk...I had a friend whose mom did that and she ended up in a second surgery within the year to break up the scar tissue so she could walk and the PT for the second surgery was agonizing compared to the first time...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 01-13-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    sad to say but your mother in law will be a cripple in short time , the scar tissue will build till she can walk...I had a friend whose mom did that and she ended up in a second surgery within the year to break up the scar tissue so she could walk and the PT for the second surgery was agonizing compared to the first time...
    Yup, a neighbor had both knees done, and refused pt because it hurt too much. Spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Many times his wife had to call the fire dept./emts to help get him off the floor when he fell.

Post Thanks / Like

Idacal: Sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm pretty sure that her brain is telling her that it's much worse than it really is, but, perception is reality. As you're aware, it's very important that she start using that new knee, the alternative is worse.

Hobbytime: Yikes, hips and shoulders? Ouch!

The worst part for me is the zingers, and spasms at night. I've been told that the healing process occurs during rest, so it's difficult to get good rest.
    Lincoln Precision TIG 185.
    Flex-Loc 150 torch.
    Super-Flex hose.
    Lincoln MIG 180.
    Victor Oxy/Act torch set.
    DeWalt Bandsaw with SWAG stand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
    Idacal: Sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm pretty sure that her brain is telling her that it's much worse than it really is, but, perception is reality. As you're aware, it's very important that she start using that new knee, the alternative is worse.

Hobbytime: Yikes, hips and shoulders? Ouch!

The worst part for me is the zingers, and spasms at night. I've been told that the healing process occurs during rest, so it's difficult to get good rest.
    I found large ice wraps, got from amazon, do an amazing job at cutting down the swelling and pain, just before bedtime ice your knees for 20 minutes and that should get you a few hours of sleep and then just ice again as needed..

I think I had the last in a long line of surgeries a few weeks ago with carpel tunnel surgery on my left hand....just repairing a life time of hard labor and moving heavier items on my own than I should have....

Post Thanks / Like

I found large ice wraps, got from amazon, do an amazing job at cutting down the swelling and pain, just before bedtime ice your knees for 20 minutes and that should get you a few hours of sleep and then just ice again as needed..

I think I had the last in a long line of surgeries a few weeks ago with carpel tunnel surgery on my left hand....just repairing a life time of hard labor and moving heavier items on my own than I should have....

I have a appt next week with a hand surgeon. My left thumb, index and middle finger go to sleep at night (to the point of severe pain) when I'm asleep and not moving them. It's gotten much worse over the past several weeks.....time to get it looked at.
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerhgm View Post
    I have a appt next week with a hand surgeon. My left thumb, index and middle finger go to sleep at night (to the point of severe pain) when I'm asleep and not moving them. It's gotten much worse over the past several weeks.....time to get it looked at.
    you have carpel tunnel syndrome....its an easy fix with a quick surgery, till you see the surgeon get some braces for your hands, they work great when you sleep, they keep your wrist from bending and your hand doesnt go numb or hurt, untill I had my surgery done I wore a brace on both hands, I had my right hand done in february along with my shoulder and my left a few weeks ago, all the pain and numbness is gone...
    heres a link to a brace, but there are a bunch to look at..
    https://www.amazon.com/Night-Wrist-S...ps%2C-1&sr=8-5

Post Thanks / Like

you have carpel tunnel syndrome....its an easy fix with a quick surgery, till you see the surgeon get some braces for your hands, they work great when you sleep, they keep your wrist from bending and your hand doesnt go numb or hurt, untill I had my surgery done I wore a brace on both hands, I had my right hand done in february along with my shoulder and my left a few weeks ago, all the pain and numbness is gone...
    heres a link to a brace, but there are a bunch to look at..
    https://www.amazon.com/Night-Wrist-S...ps%2C-1&sr=8-5
    Thanks a bunch Hobby....I just happen to have a wrist brace here from some other issue and am going to try it tonight.
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist