Thread: Anyone familiar with Move Bumpers - the weld-it-yourself bumper kits?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone familiar with Move Bumpers - the weld-it-yourself bumper kits?

Move Bumpers has just come out with a DIY step kit that uses the pierced metal treads instead of slippery-as-snot diamond plate or plastic pads that most companies use. Got me thinking they'd look very nice on my 1500HD crew cab but I'm hesitant to drop $500 on something I've never seen and that I have to weld together, paint or powder coat, etc.

www.movebumpers.com

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  28.4 KB
    Name:  1-2.jpeg
Views: 794
Size:  19.4 KB
    Name:  1.jpeg
Views: 792
Size:  30.9 KB

I've never heard of anyone using any of their products, but they do look rather popular. An email to them was returned quickly and provided the attached drawings. They steps mount to the cab mounts and only have a 300# weight limit. Not at all sure exactly how much welding will be required, but as long as I can use a stick on it, I should be good. I might even be able to beef it up a bit with some gussets or brackets. Maybe tie it more strongly to the frame by adding a plate that I can bolt through an existing whole. No idea, really, since I can't see them in person.

The only reason I'm interested is because of the tread. The pierced steel isn't slip proof, but it's a far sight better than diamond plate and allows for mud and dirt to wash through.

Still a lot of questions though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone familiar with Move Bumpers - the weld-it-yourself bumper kits?

lots have them around here. never heard a bad thing. have only been hired to cut parts they use to replace the 'move' logo with whatever local shop is installing. i wouldnt hesitate to buy anything they put out.

they are good enough i've been asked to copy the cuts, but i dont do that.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Post Thanks / Like

If they specify a 300# weight limit, it's probably a good bet that they're stronger than that. Most stuff, if engineered, has a built in safety factor.

Stay away from Golden Corral, and ya proabaly gonna be ok. Buffet's are killers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Stay away from Golden Corral, and ya proabaly gonna be ok.
    Too late!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of a 1500HD. lol.

I've got some Iron Cross 3 step on my 3500HD. They are nice steps and look good, but the 3 step (bed access) leaves a bit to be desired as it flexes pretty good when you step on it. Luckily at 6'5" I don't have much need of it. but it's they have the pierced metal step plates and they are nice.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger