+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypertherm Powermax45 XP or Everlast PowerPlasma 60S

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm Powermax45 XP or Everlast PowerPlasma 60S

I am trying to decide between a Hypertherm Powermax45 XP Plasma Cutter ($2150) or a Everlast PowerPlasma 60S ($879)? It will be used for home/hobby use. My dad taught me a long time ago that if you can afford it buy more machine that you would need now because you wind up growing out of one that you need now.

Jim
    Last edited by gorillamotors; 12-10-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm Powermax45 XP or Everlast PowerPlasma 60S

hypertherm 100% neverlast boat anchor.... spend $2150 on equipment or waste $879 for chinesium junk...

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water-cooled torch • Lincoln PowerMig 210MP • Hypertherm PowerMax 45XP • Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

why is it just between those two? The cutmaster 60iX is arguably more powerful (7.5KW vs 6.5KW) for a lot less money. https://store.cyberweld.com/thermal-...-1-5630-1.html
    Miller Multimatic 255

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    hypertherm 100% neverlast boat anchor.... spend $2150 on equipment or waste $879 for chinesium junk...
    Awful lot of CNC manufacturers would disagree with you since so many offer our units as a primary option these days.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Awful lot of CNC manufacturers would disagree with you since so many offer our units as a primary option these days.
    That could be true for hobby guys. I attended many Fabtech Shows and HYPERTHERM is the leader hands down. They started with powerful machines and then down sized to cover a larger market.
    Plasmas are nice for stainless and aluminum but many options for cutting carbon steel. Each tool has its place and depends on what you're doing.
    Plasma cutters are great for irregular shapes. A oxy/act torch can cut and be used for heating. Bandsaws are nice for clean cuts while you do something else nearby.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used the Everlast, but just about every other manufacturer. My preference is Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics, they have been at it since the beginning of plasma. I own both brands, the plasma table I do like Hypertherm, but the Thermals can do just as well. For hand cutting I like the Thermal Dynmaics machines, the 60i has an incredible long arc. Consumables for both are easy to get and both have great warranties if ever needed.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with Chris overall, but kind of like the CNC cutting on the Thermals, just a bit better for my use.. Although both leap frog each other depending what you are doing.. Really Easb's own torch on some of the Powercuts is my favorite machine torch setup. I really don't understand why Esab does not run the better cutting torch /consumable designs they own patents to? I know the one torch is the money maker in the line up, but not really the performance leader in any one area. maybe gouging on mid size units..

I would look at the new Cutmaster 40i, might be a bargain in it's amp range.. The Everlast would be almost last on my list..

The newer 60i X machine is quite a bit more powerful then stated above. It's getting real close to a hypertherm 65 then the 45XP.. Older model was right in between them, with the 3 phase unit a bit above the single phase unit..
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-10-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

No, not just hobby, production guys.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice but the question is now moot. I was driving around the other day and the owner of a machine shop put a sign outside of his business 'Going out of business sale'. I went in to investigate. The owner had a heart attack about a year ago and his doctor told him to basically stop working. He could not sell the business so he decided to sell bits and pieces at a time. I bought a brand new in the box not opened Hypertherm PowerMax 65 for $800. I was in heaven!!!
    Last edited by gorillamotors; 12-11-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, great machine overall. Had one, and it was flawless working on my CNC table..I was going to buy a 85, but for all practical uses. the 65 did all I needed. The 45 XP was just a little bit under powered when getting up to 1 inch edge cuts..Still, if you worked at it, nice cuts with it too..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorillamotors View Post
    Thanks for the advice but the question is now moot. I was driving around the other day and the owner of a machine shop put a sign outside of his business 'Going out of business sale'. I went in to investigate. The owner had a heart attack about a year ago and his doctor told him to basically stop working. He could not sell the business so he decided to sell bits and pieces at a time. I bought a brand new in the box not opened Hypertherm PowerMax 65 for $800. I was in heaven!!!
    Wow, I hope you gave him a kiss after that f....... That was a smoking deal! Great machine.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

If the price at the point of purchase is your most important criteria.....then there are a lot of better choices than Everlast. The cost difference with the Powermax comes in time....depending on how much you use it. Compared to Everlast expect to use about 1/10th the consumables with the Powermax. Sure, the genuine Hypertherm parts cost more at the counter, however with the longer life (and less down time troubleshooting why the Everlast doesn't cut well) quickly makes the Hypertherm system the lower cost system to use. You also get the great Hypertherm factory support, and dealers with parts in stock around every corner. Oh, did I mention the Hypertherm units are designed and built in Hanover and Lebanon NH, USA by employees that own 100% of the company? Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by gorillamotors View Post
    I am trying to decide between a Hypertherm Powermax45 XP Plasma Cutter ($2150) or a Everlast PowerPlasma 60S ($879)? It will be used for home/hobby use. My dad taught me a long time ago that if you can afford it buy more machine that you would need now because you wind up growing out of one that you need now.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    If the price at the point of purchase is your most important criteria.....then there are a lot of better choices than Everlast. The cost difference with the Powermax comes in time....depending on how much you use it. Compared to Everlast expect to use about 1/10th the consumables with the Powermax. Sure, the genuine Hypertherm parts cost more at the counter, however with the longer life (and less down time troubleshooting why the Everlast doesn't cut well) quickly makes the Hypertherm system the lower cost system to use. You also get the great Hypertherm factory support, and dealers with parts in stock around every corner. Oh, did I mention the Hypertherm units are designed and built in Hanover and Lebanon NH, USA by employees that own 100% of the company? Jim Colt
    Ummm. Keep it real Jim. I have former Hypertherm customers converts to Everlast complain all the time that the "claimed" consumable life isn't as good as they claim and ours is better than they expected. Even so, if they come out 10x's the price its a wash.

Ohh..and did you mention that your units are full of off shore components and that while they are built here, the majority of the electronics are sourced elsewhere, even the solenoids? Seems like Costa Rica comes to mind.

There is a reason why market share is shifting. Just saying.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Main thing the guy got a great machine for the price of a Everlast.. The consumable life on a properly setup CNC table is excellent on a hypertherm.If they are not getting good life it's all about their setup. This is not hype, and real world experience. You just don't put Hypertherm, and Everlast in the same sentence unless you are trying to make a joke or something.. :Cut 50 maybe?
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm systems have used high quality components sourced worldwide since 1968, no news there! Circuit boards and ALL electronics are designed engineered and built at Hypertherm facilities, as they always have been. There is a reason why Hypertherm plasma cutters are on the vast majority of cnc cutting tables worldwide (including in China), it is not the price. It is the performance, reliability and factory support.

I think you misunderstood this statement that I made "If the price at the point of purchase is your most important criteria.....then there are a lot of better choices than Everlast". This means that if you are looking for the lowest cost plasma cutter....then there are dozens available at a lower price than Everlast. I have run a couple of Everlast models on CNC machines....am familiar with their capability. They have definitely improved over the models we used 4 or more years ago! Jim Colt

Ummm. Keep it real Jim. I have former Hypertherm customers converts to Everlast complain all the time that the "claimed" consumable life isn't as good as they claim and ours is better than they expected. Even so, if they come out 10x's the price its a wash.

Ohh..and did you mention that your units are full of off shore components and that while they are built here, the majority of the electronics are sourced elsewhere, even the solenoids? Seems like Costa Rica comes to mind.

There is a reason why market share is shifting. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Everlast 60 plasma. I have had it for 4 or 5 years ( not sure) it was a new model that had just come out. I do not use it on a CNC table but I have no complaints other than I wish Everlast made some scarfing tips for it. The only time I have ever had a problem was when I overlooked a kink in the air line one time and It would stop cutting . If you can afford the best for your hobby then buy it . Everlast has its place in the industry and I do not see them going away any time soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I have an Everlast 60 plasma. I have had it for 4 or 5 years ( not sure) it was a new model that had just come out. I do not use it on a CNC table but I have no complaints other than I wish Everlast made some scarfing tips for it. The only time I have ever had a problem was when I overlooked a kink in the air line one time and It would stop cutting . If you can afford the best for your hobby then buy it . Everlast has its place in the industry and I do not see them going away any time soon.
    Couldn't agree more! By "scarfing".....do you mean gouging, such as removing a weld bead? I have seen some ads for Italian torches that use older style copies of (plunger blowback torch vs the newer "spring" blowback) Hypertherm torch designs.....and I suspect the older Powermax45 gouging parts will work. My only concern is if the Everlast power supplies will have issues with the higher load voltages required with a Hypertherm torch....as well as with the much higher load voltage required for gouging. Jim Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more! By "scarfing".....do you mean gouging, such as removing a weld bead? I have seen some ads for Italian torches that use older style copies of (plunger blowback torch vs the newer "spring" blowback) Hypertherm torch designs.....and I suspect the older Powermax45 gouging parts will work. My only concern is if the Everlast power supplies will have issues with the higher load voltages required with a Hypertherm torch....as well as with the much higher load voltage required for gouging. Jim Colt
    Yes gouging . I use mine to gouge with the standard tips and it works ok but it is hard on tips and insulators doing it. I have not had the need that often but when I do it saves a lot of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Yes gouging . I use mine to gouge with the standard tips and it works ok but it is hard on tips and insulators doing it. I have not had the need that often but when I do it saves a lot of time.
    One of the issues with gouging is that it requires a special low density nozzle, lower air flow but higher load voltage in order to be effective. You typically need at least 140 load volts at full amperage output to gouge. as well as to cut over 1/2" thickness in steel.

The Hypertherm Powermax45xp (equivalent in terms of cut speed, thickness and power) to the Everlast 60 has a rated load voltage of 145 volts and 6,525 watts of cutting power, while the 60 amp Everlast is rated at 104 load volts (load volt ratings at the advertised duty cycle) and 6,240 watts of cutting power. You could develop a gouging process for the Everlast, however exceeding the rated load voltage of 104 volts would likely cause a very short duty cycle.

True power output of any plasma system is in the calculated wattage output at the systems rated duty cycle, simply multiply output amperage x rated load voltage to get the wattage. You can exceed the rated load voltage by cutting thicker (the length of the arc is proportional to the load voltage), however you are more heat to the power supply components when you do this.

The higher load voltage is developed by designing a more robust, heavier duty power supply, bigger IGBT switching devices, more efficient component cooling and a torch designed to handle higher loads. All designed and engineered under one roof with the Powermax units! Jim

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny, Jim, I just remembered I heard from high up sources that Hypertherm is supposed to be paying royalties to the Italians you are speaking of....shhhhhh...keep it secret.

If its been a few years, no doubt you haven't tried our latest products...and several customers have chose to refit their Everlast units with current HT torches for convenience sake and no issues. Our new units gouge btw.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

You heard wrong Lugweld! The torches that I have seen retrofitted are Techmo copies of the old plunger style torch, designed and patented by Hypertherm about 30 years ago. Jim

That's funny, Jim, I just remembered I heard from high up sources that Hypertherm is supposed to be paying royalties to the Italians you are speaking of....shhhhhh...keep it secret.

If its been a few years, no doubt you haven't tried our latest products...and several customers have chose to refit their Everlast units with current HT torches for convenience sake and no issues. Our new units gouge btw.

Post Thanks / Like

neverlast are the democraps of the welding supply and hypertherm are the conservatives.......lots of fake news and and game playing on the side of neverlast and just facts and quality on the side of hypertherm....funny how different areas of life parallel....

Post Thanks / Like

Hobbytime. Come back to us when you have some real experience and knowledge of our product.

Jim, You might want to check with your higher ups about where you are paying royalties to. And the techmo/Innotec torches have a patented start.

It's funny you think hypertherm "invented" everything related to plasma and that everyone else copies you. Of course you would. But the company you are paying royalty to isn't techmo but it is Italian.
    Last edited by lugweld; 12-16-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

"Jim, You might want to check with your higher ups about where you are paying royalties to." Dream on Lugweld! I am retired now, however during the 41 years working for Hypertherm I was on the new product design teams for almost every new product between February 1978 and December 2018. I am quite aware of all of the technology, patents, and details of every product in that time range! Jim Colt

By the way....it is interesting that Tecmo makes a torch that uses Hypertherm consumables (as a retrofit for Everlast, Razor and other imports) but does not make the consumables that fit (because they are covered by Hypertherm technology patents). Check out patents on Coaxial flow and conical flow for nozzle and shield designs....
    Last edited by jimcolt; 12-16-2019 at 11:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist