+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Esab Origo C251 information

Post Thanks / Like

Esab Origo C251 information

I can get a new Esab Origo C251 with a small discount over other brands.
    My question is, are they any good, has anyone been using one for long enough
    to comment on reliability.
    They are apparently made in Poland.
    The wire feed looks very light, plastic, one drive roller, and the motor looks
    like it splits along the sides, instead of a full cylinder with a cap at one end,
    it actually looks like a non openable or repairable unit, which worries me.
    I will try and post a picture later.

Thanks to all
    Last edited by Origo; 12-12-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab Origo C251 information

Trying to attach an image of the drive motor.
    It is a plastic motor support, the motor it’s self is only 2 inches wide,
    slit up the side I can see, and not too well coupled to the gearbox, it looks off round
    where it meets the box.
    The drive roller also rubs the leg of the spring which lifts the arm that holds it so you
    can push the wire through when you change spool, the rubbing is not subtle and will
    cause drag.
    The spool of wire is also able to slide around on the shaft, half an inch from side to side,
    this has to be bad, and again cause the wire to mate up sideways to the Chanel in the drive
    roller.
    Never seen a spool able to slide in and out while on a mig, they normally are clamped fairly tight.
    Last edited by Origo; 12-12-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a step transformer unit. It's probably just fine but it's the ESAB customer service on ESAB equipment that's so bad. Takes months to get simple things like drive rolls, outlet guides, switches etc. Still, If it's a great deal it will likely last longer than you.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I think that's a step transformer unit. It's probably just fine but it's the ESAB customer service on ESAB equipment that's so bad. Takes months to get simple things like drive rolls, outlet guides, switches etc. Still, If it's a great deal it will likely last longer than you.
    Hi @Rondo , thanks for posting.

I’ve been out of the welding game for a while, and looking at this Esab was a shock, it’s lightly
    made drive motor mount is plastic, which the motor then bolts too from the back.
    I hung a spool of wire on, and the spigot moved down under the strain,
    my main concern is the spool can slide in and out on the shaft, this has got to misalign
    the wire as it moves forward towards the groove in the roller, now it doesn’t take much
    sideways action to take small shavings off the wire as it moves through, these will end
    up in the torch liner too, very puzzled why anyone would do this.

Yes it’s a transformer unit with 12 steps, they cost a fair bit @ 1600.00 euro.
    Last edited by Origo; 12-12-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All European machines in that class that I have seen comes with plastic drive rollers assembly. I don't suspect it's a problem.

There are other options in the £1300 range beside the Esab. There are some Lincolns both transformers and inverters, Kemppi, Thermal Arc and others.

https://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic...o=0&zl=2&sq=13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks precivilization.
    The machines you linked are not too far away amp wise to the Esab, the ones that are 250 amp
    are more costly when the duty is added.
    Am going to see someone who has one of these Esabs in the morning, I already know he says
    he likes his, just want to see if it’s got the plastic, or if it’s an earlier model maybe with an aluminium
    feeder support. This unit even has plastic all the way up to the front panel where you would normally
    find a brass fitting leaving the motor mount frame at the roller and continuing all the way to the torch,
    I wouldn’t want to have a melt down on my hands, will know more tomorrow.
    Last edited by Origo; 12-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed the cable tie holding on the gas hose to the torch mount.
    How cheap is that, makes me wonder what other short cuts could be
    hidden further in, even more cable ties instead of hose clips along
    the way to the gas bottle, could make for some costly losses in leaked gas.
    Last edited by Origo; 12-12-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big Esab fan, but not of those Origo Mig units. They are simply made down to a price, and must be sold for a huge margin, because they aren't marketed as cheap machines. I know of one guy in the UK that had two, and actually it was the transformers that blew on both of his units first.

The seperate Origo wire feeders are better, as are the bigger Origo machines, and the Aristo Mig/warrior machines are really, really good - it's that base level C171/C201/C251 range that are just simply, cheap machines. The rest of them are all better built.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mankul
    Good I formation to know, I will a ovoid the Origo range, though my friend has one, he does engineering and it wouldn't be sitting around, maybe the newer ones were made different to keep up profits.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying ALL the origo range are bad, just the C171/C201/C251 models.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I'm not saying ALL the origo range are bad, just the C171/C201/C251 models.
    I understand.
    I don’t see too many of them in the workshops, had a talk with a man who likes his.
    Very interesting, he tells me the transformers on the first of them kept blowing.
    He now buys the burned up ones, and puts new transformers in them, apparently the
    newer ones have been updated, he says he has yet to have a motor related issue,
    but it would be hard for him, the last time I looked at his 251 it had a beard of dust
    on it, says he only uses it for small stuff now, but still says it welds good.

I will pass on them, second hand migs do come up, so will keep my eyes open.
    Would love me an INE.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist