+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outdoor wood fired boiler

Post Thanks / Like

Outdoor wood fired boiler

Hello, Has anyone built their own wood fired boiler for in floor heating in a garage? If so I am looking for ideas build and anything you would change if you were to do it over again. I am looking at heating a 40x60 shop with 6" of concrete. Would really like some feedback and thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outdoor wood fired boiler

I built mine after copying a Shaver stove made in Arkansas. I made it take 250 gallons of water. More water smoother recovery. I installed a coil of copper tubing that my potable water runs through with a check valve and heat my hot water with it too. Never run out of hot water. Also hooked in line is a ball valve hooked to an over flow so that I can add water to the stove. <-- Must have. If I re-did it I would make the water jacket thicker than 1/8". The fire box is 1/2". I use a Ranco to turn the fan on and off instead of an aquastat because it can be set to 1 degree differential. Million other things. I'm looking forward to NOT having to burn wood but it's been a good run. I've heated 6K sq ft for 12 years and have used Zero propane. But. Propane is now cheaper than my saw gas. Fun build though.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

WeePup, I’m thinking about building something similar for a couple of 5,000 sq ft shops. I’d like to incorporate a self feed and automated ash removal system as well.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    WeePup, I’m thinking about building something similar for a couple of 5,000 sq ft shops. I’d like to incorporate a self feed and automated ash removal system as well.
    I have very often thought about something like this... however I haven't made it out of the thought stage yet

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about an out door stove for a while, but a different design than a water holding boiler, I would build a large wood stove , no water jacket, then put coils of copper or old cast radiators all around the stove, then bury in 20 tons of sand as a heat sink...you get better combustion and no huge smoke plumes from those water jacket units, they dont let the wood to come up to proper combustion temps..and once you heat up all that sand it will stay warm for a day or 2 even if the fire goes out...
    then each loop or set or radiators would be a heat loop or you run it to a heat exchanger and run your zones from there..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    I have thought about an out door stove for a while, but a different design than a water holding boiler, I would build a large wood stove , no water jacket, then put coils of copper or old cast radiators all around the stove, then bury in 20 tons of sand as a heat sink...you get better combustion and no huge smoke plumes from those water jacket units, they dont let the wood to come up to proper combustion temps..and once you heat up all that sand it will stay warm for a day or 2 even if the fire goes out...
    then each loop or set or radiators would be a heat loop or you run it to a heat exchanger and run your zones from there..
    Lots of good ideas in that post, but how would you handle the routine ash clean out if the stove is buried in sand?
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Lots of good ideas in that post, but how would you handle the routine ash clean out if the stove is buried in sand?
    the front of the stove would be in an insulated enclosure to hold the heat in, but give access to the front for cleaning and maintenance, also for dry wood storage to feed the beast....just for example, you could build a 10ft x 20 ft enclosure so you have room to work and have several weeks of dry wood, as you use the wood just replace it and the heated area will dry it out and keep it dry from any weather..you can make it as big or as small as needed..

Post Thanks / Like

I do know if floor is poored
    The last one did I put 2x6 around inside about 6" from outside. The water pipe is about 12" from outside.

If you find a old oil fire boiler then all you need to do is build a fire box.

The gas fire boiler will clog up using wood.

I like Bell & Gosset pump they run for ever

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WeePup View Post
    Hello, Has anyone built their own wood fired boiler for in floor heating in a garage? If so I am looking for ideas build and anything you would change if you were to do it over again. I am looking at heating a 40x60 shop with 6" of concrete. Would really like some feedback and thanks in advance.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    the front of the stove would be in an insulated enclosure to hold the heat in, but give access to the front for cleaning and maintenance, also for dry wood storage to feed the beast....just for example, you could build a 10ft x 20 ft enclosure so you have room to work and have several weeks of dry wood, as you use the wood just replace it and the heated area will dry it out and keep it dry from any weather..you can make it as big or as small as needed..
    Great ideas, thx.
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find an older worn out one that’s out of service because it’s rotted out, buy it for the base.
    Use the base and build your own design on top of the old base. The walls and roof are water jackets, not the floor/base.
    Forced draft fans are more efficient than natural draft stoves with an air intake tube.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

11. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist