Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a welding table out of 3/4" plate. The biggest issue is I've typically move most of my plate by hand but this is a bit too heavy for that. I'm looking at buying an engine hoist and some kind of rigging method to move the plate around. In my research thus far, I've seen plate clamps and plate magnets as the preferred choice. My concern with plate clamps is some people have said when you go to set the plate down horizontally it reduces the weight the clamp feels and can cause it to release. I've heard maybe there are some locking ones out there? Any suggestions on good locking plate clamps? My concern with plate magnets is I normally buy multiple pieces of steel at a time and don't have an efficient way to separate them and grab one at a time. Let me know your thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

I often use an engine hoist and just hook the chain hooks on the edge of the plate.

If outside I use the tractor and home made forks, or the chain method.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Forklift is best way I found.

But did not have a forklift I used over hoist with chain. You also weld lifting rings.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a welding table out of 3/4" plate. The biggest issue is I've typically move most of my plate by hand but this is a bit too heavy for that. I'm looking at buying an engine hoist and some kind of rigging method to move the plate around. In my research thus far, I've seen plate clamps and plate magnets as the preferred choice. My concern with plate clamps is some people have said when you go to set the plate down horizontally it reduces the weight the clamp feels and can cause it to release. I've heard maybe there are some locking ones out there? Any suggestions on good locking plate clamps? My concern with plate magnets is I normally buy multiple pieces of steel at a time and don't have an efficient way to separate them and grab one at a time. Let me know your thoughts!
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Properly sized chain hooks from the sides if you don't have a forklift truck.

Post Thanks / Like

In the shop, I use these two things.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Is this one time deal or are you planning for the future? How are you transporting it? If in a truck bed. The slide/roll it onto built table base from the bed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Is this one time deal or are you planning for the future? How are you transporting it? If in a truck bed. The slide/roll it onto built table base from the bed.
    ^^^^^These are important things to know. In addition to overall plate dimensions.

Forklifts and/or locking plate clamps as mentioned would be best and safest ...

Last edited by Lis2323; 01-13-2020 at 06:11 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    ^^^^^These are important things to know. In addition to overall plate dimensions.

Forklifts and/or locking plate clamps as mentioned would be best and safest ...

Thanks for the photo of your plate clamp! Just ordered the one in the link below which I think is the same as yours. About $335 with shipping ouch. Now off to find an engine hoist. I found one used on FB marketplace but the guy hasn't responded in a week. Sounds like I may be buying the harbor freight 2 ton. I hate relying on harbor freight when it comes to sketchy/risky stuff like this but I think it's the best option i have right now.

https://www.intercon1978.com/tigrip-...---114-jaw-cap

Post Thanks / Like

Selecting the right equipment depends on the dimensions and total weight of the plate, not the thickness.

Post Thanks / Like

The other is drag off the truck on to 4x4's and work on plate where lays
    Simple to do will make a lot of noise too. I would not drop on to asphalt or concrete it will make big mark.

Dave
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  sarens.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  57.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Name:  sarens.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  57.9 KB
    LOL nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I have use the beam over garage door opening. To unload a lathe with simple chain hoist.
    The garage door I had to drill holes for chain hoist.
    Most garages have 4 x 12 beam.

Dave
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

That'll gitter done Timmy

Post Thanks / Like

Man for what your talking a forklift is so far ahead nothing else even comes close, especially if coupled with magnets and or clamps. And the thing with forklifts is theres tons of them out there and you can get a decent one for just a couple grand. Didn't say a great one but a ok one for the weekend warrior.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. This would be a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plate I'd be moving. I would be hauling it in a small utility trailer I have. I already move a fair bit of 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" (4' x 8' and 5'x10') plate so it would be nice to have a an efficient way to move plate for the future as well. Any particular brand of locking plate clamp I should look for? I'm not fortunate enough to be able to afford a forklift, overhead crane, tractor, skidsteer, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. This would be a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plate I'd be moving. I would be hauling it in a small utility trailer I have. I already move a fair bit of 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" (4' x 8' and 5'x10') plate so it would be nice to have a an efficient way to move plate for the future as well. Any particular brand of locking plate clamp I should look for? I'm not fortunate enough to be able to afford a forklift, overhead crane, tractor, skidsteer, etc.
    Look on ebay, there are tons on there. Most are pricey but I bought one a couple years ago in excellent condition for around $5. Literally nobody bid against me. That usually doesn't happen but you can get deals on used ones sometimes. Even if you don't have a fork truck a clamp is still super handy if you tie a rope to the handle and pull those sheets. Works awesome. Mind you to move the 3/4 your still going to have to put some pipe or something under it but the clamp with a rope would help immensely.

Post Thanks / Like

You will find 3/4" plate is not same as 1/4" or 3/8' plate.

I can move 1/4" or 3/8' plate but 3/4" it will stay where lay till is cut up.

What are you doing with plate???

Dave

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

This is the 2000 kg one in my pic in post #8

https://www.lifting365.com/category/...l-Plate-Clamps

I sold it to a local welding shop that was looking for one a few years back as I hardly used it. Excellent quality though.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Delete.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

How about cranking nylon hold down straps down on each end of the 4 X 8 plate, buy two short 1' x 3' 1200 lb Liftall slings and slide them under the tie down straps, stick a long piece of pipe through each of the short slings eyes so you and three of your buddies can pick up the plate and carry it away.
    Last edited by tackit; 01-14-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When they load it it's best to have 2x4 or 4x4's to set it on. You could use a floor jack to raise plate to remove lumber and replace with pipe rollers. Old tires are great to drop the plate on. A plate clamp is great and welding lifting eyes on works too as long as you are confident in your welding.
    If you don't want to weld to the plate , Get a piece of angle to set on top of the plate, and another angle or tube for the bottom. Drill or burn holes in them at the plate edge for thru bolting to sandwich the plate in between. Then use the plate clamp on the angle to lift plate flat. A plate clamp is great for pulling steel from a rack too.
    My overhead electric hoist makes lots of lifting easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    How about cranking nylon hold down straps down on each end of the 4 X 8 plate, buy two short 1' x 3' 1200 lb Liftall slings and slide them under the tie down straps, stick a long piece of pipe through each of the short slings eyes so you and three of your buddies can pick up the plate and carry it away.
    The plate he's talking about will be right at 1,000lbs. Four guys might be able to lift that, but it wouldn't really be smart from a back/joint standpoint!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    His plate weighs 1088 pounds. 4 men might be able to pick it up, but they wont carry it very far or set it up on a frame.
    For my 350 pound 4x4 1/2Ē plate for my welding table, I used straps. One strap for two sides and another for the other two sides. I used 2x4 blocks to raise the plate so the straps would go under, I lifted the plate with the hoist and set it on more 2x4 blocks on top of my frame to get the straps off then removed the 2x4s. I was reluctant to trust a magnet. and too cheap to buy a $350 clamp.
    Welding rings strong enough to hold the plate will make the plate warp.
    But you could drill holes and bolt the rings on if you donít mind a hole in your plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    His plate weighs 1088 pounds. 4 men might be able to pick it up, but they wont carry it very far or set it up on a frame.
    For my 350 pound 4x4 1/2” plate for my welding table, I used straps. One strap for two sides and another for the other two sides. I used 2x4 blocks to raise the plate so the straps would go under, I lifted the plate with the hoist and set it on more 2x4 blocks on top of my frame to get the straps off then removed the 2x4s. I was reluctant to trust a magnet. and too cheap to buy a $350 clamp.
    Welding rings strong enough to hold the plate will make the plate warp.
    But you could drill holes and bolt the rings on if you don’t mind a hole in your plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could also drill holes in the side of the plate since it's 3/4 inch you could do a1/2 hole if you were really precise... But a 5/16 in each corner would be more than strong enough especially if you use grade 8 bolts as pins or go to the work of tapping the holes