+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Buy/ rent a mag drill and drill a bunch of holes. Why thread and not bolt through?
    i agree. Threading is hard work and I would be reluctant to trust tapped threads to hold a thousand pounds. An inexpensive table top drill press could be positioned for holes on the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    An inexpensive table top drill press could be positioned for holes on the edges.

It could also be used in the middle of the table. I drilled my holes that way before I had a mag drill.

Turn the power head of the bench mount DP 180 degrees. You may have to remove the DP table from the column in order to drop the power head low enough to the welding table.

Use a piece of channel, square tube, or heavy angle iron at least the width of your table top to clamp the DP table down. Drill your holes. A little time consuming for each hole setup but doable.

I can’t find my pics...
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

I can’t find my pics...
    I refuse to believe that YOU cannot find pics! clearly the chicoms have hacked your computer ans stole them so after they introduce their new "mag drill" consisting of a 5 speed bench top power head mounted to an extendable channel with an earth magnet mounted at each corner which they will initially release via Harbor Freight followed later by wide spread ebay and amazon clone releases... they only obstacle was a possible lawsuit from a retired farmer will already have been dealt with ... so they hacked your puter to eliminate any evidence of prior creation... be on the lookout for hot asian honey pot as that might be their next step to get ya outa the way

Post Thanks / Like

monsoon-mech you crack me up!!

However google images had my pics which should clarify by explanation earlier.

:

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t find my pics...

It was me... sorry The other night when I came over there to paint something I had stopped at homedepot to pickup paint and they were out of the regular miller paint I use but the orange shirt guy said to try this new stuff cause it's better!!! Well I bought a case of it and when I got in your shop to go to work I couldn't get the little plastic top off of the can then I was you're supposed to put a screwdriver under the lid and pry... so I hope you don't mind... I grabbed a slotted medium driver out of the third drawer on the big box and proceeded to place it under the cap and pry... well it still wouldn't budge anyways I started hitting the top of the can on nearby things like the vice... and your turntable... after about 20 hits the stubborn cap finally let go!!!! and flew across the room over to where your computer sits... well it smacked right down on the keyboard hitting a bunch of keys there was a bunch of flashing on the screen and all I saw was a message saying 'folder successfully deleted'!!! Well... it was pretty late and I didn't want anything else to happen so I packed up my paint and a few other things into my backpack and got outta there.... meant to leave a note but I remembered I didn't have any paper with me

Again... sorry

Post Thanks / Like

monsoon-mech you crack me up!!

However google images had my pics which should clarify by explanation earlier.

why is your drill press so short. Did you cut that center column? Do people use this on Aluminum where a mag drill wont work?

Post Thanks / Like

I gave a drill press head away on Tuesday. I used the base to make a stand for my mag drill designed after a photo in a Lis2323 post. Built the stand last summer, nice modification.

Never realized how hot mag drill magnets get, until I left mine on all weekend.

Does the drill press have good torque?
    Last edited by tapwelder; 01-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    why is your drill press so short. Did you cut that center column? Do people use this on Aluminum where a mag drill wont work?

The column got chopped when I made my mag drill base tapwelder mentioned. Plus the fact that particular model did not have the provision for the column to exit through the top of the power head.

Do people use this on aluminum? It’s possible under the right conditions.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 01-24-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think about bolting through the holes but that makes sense. I have a cheap harbor freight table top drill press that I might be able to position similar to what's pictured above. I usually only use my delta DP220 for drilling anymore but it's too tall. I've been debating buying a mag drill to drill holes for mounting clamps in the plate once it's all put together. Damn they're expensive though ~$1,200. I hate to spend $70 for a single day rental but I'm not sure how handy it will be in the future to justify the big price tag.

I'm going to buy the harbor freight 2 ton engine hoist soon. Then it's down to some rigging eyes and chains. Any recommendation on rigging chains for moving things? If not, I may just buy some of the harbor freight chains even though I don't think they're technically rated for "over head" lifting.
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Miller xmt 350 cc/cv & 350 fieldpro
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI 2019
    Lincoln LN 25 & Miller 12 suitcases
    Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

Does the drill press have good torque?
    Not certain if that was directed at me. The answer would be NO.

Thankfully it was a freebie to me but a POS none the less. The powerhead is still sitting on my shelf. I’m thinking of offering it to my dentist.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    It was me... sorry The other night when I came over there to paint something I had stopped at homedepot to pickup paint and they were out of the regular miller paint I use but the orange shirt guy said to try this new stuff cause it's better!!! Well I bought a case of it and when I got in your shop to go to work I couldn't get the little plastic top off of the can then I was you're supposed to put a screwdriver under the lid and pry... so I hope you don't mind... I grabbed a slotted medium driver out of the third drawer on the big box and proceeded to place it under the cap and pry... well it still wouldn't budge anyways I started hitting the top of the can on nearby things like the vice... and your turntable... after about 20 hits the stubborn cap finally let go!!!! and flew across the room over to where your computer sits... well it smacked right down on the keyboard hitting a bunch of keys there was a bunch of flashing on the screen and all I saw was a message saying 'folder successfully deleted'!!! Well... it was pretty late and I didn't want anything else to happen so I packed up my paint and a few other things into my backpack and got outta there.... meant to leave a note but I remembered I didn't have any paper with me

Again... sorry
    Geez. U effin guys always makin’ fun of me.

I got feelings too yuh know.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

On the job, we were spoiled! We had these things to play with!
    1000-ton derrick. The boom weighs 100-Tons.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Geez. U effin guys always makin’ fun of me.

I got feelings too yuh know.
    Looks like Ronsii snuck into my shop as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post

He must got himself night vision goggles. He left the place tidy.

What did you build, Pat?
    Last edited by Lis2323; 01-24-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

The two pieces on the right are the drill press parts for the mag drill base.
    The one on the left is for the belt grinder/sander.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

The two pieces on the right are the drill press parts for the mag drill base.
    The one on the left is for the belt grinder/sander.

Thanks for the reply. I was going nuts trying to figure out how the three pieces went together.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

What do.you do about over spray?
    I notice the fan on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

What do.you do about over spray?
    I notice the fan on the floor.
    They were painted outside so not worried about it.
    The fan fell as I was moving other stuff.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    I didn't think about bolting through the holes but that makes sense. I have a cheap harbor freight table top drill press that I might be able to position similar to what's pictured above. I usually only use my delta DP220 for drilling anymore but it's too tall. I've been debating buying a mag drill to drill holes for mounting clamps in the plate once it's all put together. Damn they're expensive though ~$1,200. I hate to spend $70 for a single day rental but I'm not sure how handy it will be in the future to justify the big price tag.

I'm going to buy the harbor freight 2 ton engine hoist soon. Then it's down to some rigging eyes and chains. Any recommendation on rigging chains for moving things? If not, I may just buy some of the harbor freight chains even though I don't think they're technically rated for "over head" lifting.
    Check Amazon for slings. This is inexpensive. https://www.amazon.com/Liftall-EE180...a-815679621359

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=D+ring+sh...ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-In-...ATV-63744.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! This is great information. I'll be sure to pick some of this rigging stuff up.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  table1.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  110.3 KBName:  table2.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  142.9 KB

Hi Guys,

Wanted to let everyone know I built the 3/4" plate table a while ago and been going at it strong. Currently using it to help me layout pieces for the steel bumper I'm building for my '12 Silverado. I thought the custom/adjustable vise stand I threw together was pretty cool. Allows me to adjust the height as well as swap out different tools in case I want to mount a belt grinder or other tool option. 3/4" bolts with weld on nuts.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Hypertherm 45XP

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a welding table out of 3/4" plate. The biggest issue is I've typically move most of my plate by hand but this is a bit too heavy for that. I'm looking at buying an engine hoist and some kind of rigging method to move the plate around. In my research thus far, I've seen plate clamps and plate magnets as the preferred choice. My concern with plate clamps is some people have said when you go to set the plate down horizontally it reduces the weight the clamp feels and can cause it to release. I've heard maybe there are some locking ones out there? Any suggestions on good locking plate clamps? My concern with plate magnets is I normally buy multiple pieces of steel at a time and don't have an efficient way to separate them and grab one at a time. Let me know your thoughts!
    If you are not going to be moving much 3/4" plate and you have nice cement floors you can put it on four furniture dollys and drag it around. Or even a plywood cart if the floors are smooth. A forklift works well, you can C-clamp the back of the plate to the back of the forks as well when moving it around. An engine hoist gets pretty flimsy at 984 pounds if you try to move stuff on it. Most guys pull the car under the stationary load because they are that unstable. You can do all of the above with two strong guys. If you have a hydraulic table and floor jack you could probably get it on the hydraulic table by yourself but it is a pain in the butt, but then you could do anything you want with it after it is on the hydraulic table. I put my sons staircase that was about 1000 pounds in a van by myself with the hydraulic table.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist