Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking for a deal on a plate clamp and if not, I like the idea of welding rigging eyes on. I'm getting a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plate to build myself a big boy welding table. I found a deal online with stacks of 3/4" 4' x 8' plate for $250 which I think is a deal (honestly haven't priced new plate yet; add says they were used on the road to cover holes in asphalt). Trying to buy an engine hoist and something to move the plate with.

Post Thanks / Like

Aha. Road plates. They should already have lay flat lifting lugs or holes to make it easier for you. Donít know about flatness though...
    :

Post Thanks / Like

New road plates are pretty good, all the ones we have used in the past 4 years at least have a center point wedgelock pic system... It's slick and can be welded in plate as thin as 3/4 inch.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple
    Build the base then load plate on pickup. Then slide plate from pickup to table frame.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking for a deal on a plate clamp and if not, I like the idea of welding rigging eyes on. I'm getting a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plate to build myself a big boy welding table. I found a deal online with stacks of 3/4" 4' x 8' plate for $250 which I think is a deal (honestly haven't priced new plate yet; add says they were used on the road to cover holes in asphalt). Trying to buy an engine hoist and something to move the plate with.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

I would be careful when using nylon slings ,the sharp edges can easily cut straps . Use softeners.

Post Thanks / Like

NO ! Drill a hole and bolt the eye through.Be careful with a road plate. Tough to straighten unless you're a hot dog with a torch

Post Thanks / Like

The road plates don't appear to be new nor do they appear to have any type of easy rigging holes etc. I was hoping based on the shear number of plates they have that I could find one that laid flat. $250 for a full sheet of 3/4" plate sounds a lot better than $600 new. I keep telling myself I can always leave if I'm not satisfied with how flat they are...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1238033669316/

I'm looking to pick up a plate clamp in the next few days and get to work on this project. Can you guys make any specific recommendations? I'd appreciate a link to the item or a specific name so I can find it shell out the cash. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally if you donít need the full 4x8í for your welding table I would just buy a suitably sized piece NEW and not have to worry about cutting to size, excessive prep, flatness and having to handle a full 900 pound sheet.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the fun in that? Haha. Your comments make sense but I'm shooting to have a full 4' x 8' welding table to handle the bigger projects I want to do like smokers, large shelving, bumper builds, etc. It's so much nicer to be able to fit your full project on a table and at the proper height. I'm fabricating every night right now and my little 3' x 3' table isn't big enough and is killing my back being so low to the ground. The best quote I got on a new 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4" was $560 . I'll spend it if I have to because it's worth it to me but it makes digging through a rusty pile of road plate seem a little more worth it. Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

If you have the room I totally agree with the 4x8 size.

If youíre fabricating a lot anyways why donít you buy the plate NEW, stock up on square tube, angle etc you anticipate using on future projects and have the supplier deliver it.

This is what I do and I am just a retired hobbyist. I have access to heavy trucks and I could pick it up myself but itís always cheaper to have it delivered.

And extend the legs on your 3x3 table to a usable working height. Nothing handier than having a good small table for welding up small jobs while you have a bigger project clamped down on your new, big table.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 01-15-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Hereís my 4x8í and 3íD tables just to show I put my money where my mouth is.

:

Post Thanks / Like

The road plates don't appear to be new nor do they appear to have any type of easy rigging holes etc. I was hoping based on the shear number of plates they have that I could find one that laid flat. $250 for a full sheet of 3/4" plate sounds a lot better than $600 new. I keep telling myself I can always leave if I'm not satisfied with how flat they are...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1238033669316/

I'm looking to pick up a plate clamp in the next few days and get to work on this project. Can you guys make any specific recommendations? I'd appreciate a link to the item or a specific name so I can find it shell out the cash. Thanks!
    That really looks like a deal. I think I paid $500 for a 3/8" sheet 4x8....something along those lines.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

The more I fabricate the less important a large sheet of metal is and the more important holes and ability to clamp to the table become. So, smaller tables aren't necessarily bad. Especially if you can level them and maneuver them to accommodate larger projects. Also walking around a large table working on a small project .... Is alright, until you think about how much time has been wasted.

I doubt you build a smoker on a table, probably not a bumper either. Shelving? Will you have ceiling height? What is built on the table has to come off the table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    ^^^^^These are important things to know. In addition to overall plate dimensions.

Forklifts and/or locking plate clamps as mentioned would be best and safest ...

Thanks for the photo of your plate clamp! Just ordered the one in the link below which I think is the same as yours. About $335 with shipping ouch. Now off to find an engine hoist. I found one used on FB marketplace but the guy hasn't responded in a week. Sounds like I may be buying the harbor freight 2 ton. I hate relying on harbor freight when it comes to sketchy/risky stuff like this but I think it's the best option i have right now.

https://www.intercon1978.com/tigrip-...---114-jaw-cap

Post Thanks / Like

You wonít be disappointed with that clamp!
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I once dropped my mechanical ironworker, while using a 3000 cap. engine hoist to lift it. The chain sheared at the point where the boom and chain contact. The ironworker weighs sub1000 lbs. It fell face down. No way to upright it with hoist.

It was not a HF hoist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I once dropped my mechanical ironworker, while using a 3000 cap. engine hoist to lift it. The chain sheared at the point where the boom and chain contact. The ironworker weighs sub1000 lbs. It fell face down. No way to upright it with hoist.

It was not a HF hoist.
    I actually clearanced the boom on my engine hoist because of this concern. Chain hangs straight down from the bolt.

You are probably who told me to do it
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post

It was not a HF hoist.
    Ugh. Not a happy day. How did you get it upright? Any damage?
    :

Post Thanks / Like

No noticeable damage in 5 yrs. Somebody built a huge base for it that sticks out past the punch table. When it fell, it landed on the base and literally only one screw on the ironworker's ram rested on the ground. Being mechanical it probably beats itself up worst.

The next morning a guy who did some for me landscaping uprighted it with his bobcat.

Post Thanks / Like

This...pick it up out of truck bed...set down where I want...

Name:  DF4F5082-F103-428B-B910-CCCD9332045C.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  83.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Do not use a engine hoist to try moving that 4X8X3/4 plate, if yo use one plate clamp on the side you will not be able to set the plate onto the base, If you use two clamps on center you may still not have rome to lift it onto the base.
    I had a a 3/4"X40"x60" plate get away from the 1ton jeb useing a1,000# elec mag, once it was about 40"off the floor when it came off the mag. and missed me by less then 12". I had to set down for a bit and rethink what /how I was going to not
    go though that again.
    Started making grips from angle iron to fit the diff plate/tubes I hade to pick up, used two and four chain leges so I could adj. them to fite.
    At the end of the day you want to walk out the door, so take the time to do your lift right/safe as it could be the last time you try. I will never forget what that plat looked like as it started towards the floor and jest missed my leg and foot.
    so please be safe.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really not safe to use one plate clamp to move a 4x8 sheet of steel? My plan was to center it in the middle of an 8 foot side and lift/set down as needed. Trying to do this as safe as possible while keeping in mind my limited budget. The part that makes me the most nervous will be rotating the plate once I've welded the legs onto the table.
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400
    Crowbar for when $@&%* gets real

Post Thanks / Like

I envisioned you building the base and legs first and placing the top on last.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Best Way to Move Heavy Plate

To be honest Iíve never used an engine hoist as Iíve always had forklifts on the farm so others who have experience may correct me but .....

It makes me nervous thinking about the engine lift as even though it may have the lift capacity it wasnít designed for a 4x8í mass and may lack stability.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    To be honest Iíve never used an engine hoist as Iíve always had forklifts on the farm so others who have experience may correct me but .....

It makes me nervous thinking about the engine lift as even though it may have the lift capacity it wasnít designed for a 4x8í mass and may lack stability.

My experience outside the chain breakage, is it will work. However it is designed to lift due vertical. So the leg extensions really need to be under the object you are lifting before you begin. Otherwise the back wheel will elevate or tilt. Also wide items can crash into the base and make it difficult to lower or position them for lowering.

Also, the hook may not accommodate your sling if you have to put both ends in the hook..

There great for pulling fence post out of the ground.