+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jeweler in Santa Maria, CA.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeweler in Santa Maria, CA.

Hello! I've been a bench jeweler for the past 40 years working in mainly gold alloys. This has been with oxy/city gas mini torches for brazing and fusing operations. With the renewed popularity of platinum alloys for jewelry I've been using a laser welder for the past 20 years. As a hobby I love hot rodding and the custom fabrication processes that entails. I always have questions! Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeweler in Santa Maria, CA.

Welcome
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

right about 40 yrs ago, i remeber my dad reading me an article outa the la times. it was about a jewlery store that kept getting broke into in la calif at night, finally the owners put in a double window in front, w/ a live poinenous snake in b/t. after that, the jewelery store, quit getting hit. F'k, now days the poor owner would be arrested for pe-meditated attepted murder/lyeing in wait, upon arriving at work
    Last edited by 123weld; 01-19-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, was wondering what type of torches do you use for casting/ meting or soldering? do you have a favorite torch?, I've been looking at a Smith little torch but all I want to use it for is to braze hard to reach places.
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used most of them at one time or another. A lot of people use the Smith Little Torch but it seemed awkward in my hand; too small and light. The industry standard used to be the Hoke. It's a larger torch and can be used for melting as well. You might look into that for general use: https://www.zakjewelrytools.com/prod...-jewel-torches. In fact I have one someone gave me years ago you're welcome to if you pay for the shipping (being Canada and all). My favorite and my daily user is the Meco Little Torch. Nice weight and the flat shape keeps it oriented the same way in your hand every time you pick it up. Same can be said for the Hoke, it's just a little large to use at a compact workbench. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by sspeedstreet; 01-20-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Link added

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sspeedstreet View Post
    I've used most of them at one time or another. A lot of people use the Smith Little Torch but it seemed awkward in my hand; too small and light. The industry standard used to be the Hoke. It's a larger torch and can be used for melting as well. You might look into that for general use: https://www.zakjewelrytools.com/prod...-jewel-torches. In fact I have one someone gave me years ago you're welcome to if you pay for the shipping (being Canada and all). My favorite and my daily user is the Meco Little Torch. Nice weight and the flat shape keeps it oriented the same way in your hand every time you pick it up. Same can be said for the Hoke, it's just a little large to use at a compact workbench. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for your reply and your kind offer SSpeedstreet , I've heard great reviews on Hoke torches also, it probably is more suitable for my needs than the Smith torch, I understand your point about it being light/awkward to use, I myself like to feel the weight of the torch ( especially when I'm wearing gloves).

I searched but didn't find a dealer here that sells Meco torches but can get Hoke at a reasonable price , maybe a bit more than what it would cost to ship yours but I do appreciate your kind offer non the less.
    It looks like Hoke is the torch for me, I should move fast and get one soon before they make fake copies like they do with Smith little torches. lol.
    Last edited by distrbd; 01-20-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist