Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good Stick Welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a good Stick Welder?

Hi Guys,

I've got a miller 211 mig welder and I've been looking for a good stick welder for thicker materials. I found out on this forum that the miller maxstar was a good stick welder and might fit the bill for my needs. Since then, I've been keeping my eye out and found a used miller maxstar 150s on FB market place listed for $500. Is this the deal I've been waiting for? Any idea how thick of material i can weld with this? I'm shooting for 1/2" and maybe 3/4". Good duty cycle? Should I hold out for the maxstar 200? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0&query=welder
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400
    Crowbar for when $@&%* gets real

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this a good Stick Welder?

I have a Maxstar 140STR which was the previous welder to the 150. It says it was made by Fronius in Europe. Itís a great stick welder and runs 1/8 Excalibur electrodes very well. It will not run 6010 electrodes. Perhaps multiple passes will be required for the thicknesses you list but as to the question if they are good, yes, very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

I did not like my 150s. Doesn't run 6010. Works best at 240v. Does not function as a tig welder.

Definitely not worth $500. $150 maybe.

My esab 160 was 400 bucks new will rig weld and runs 6010.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 01-20-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 150STL which I bought used off eBay. I like it but it is grossly overpriced new and not worth the $500 asking price for the non tig unit you mentioned.

JMO of course.

I have zero experience with it but as tapwelder mentioned the general consensus is the Hobart equivalent is superior and cheaper.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 01-20-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Lis, is that the Hobart model that Mr Chuckie2009 on youtube ripped apart, in spite of there being nothing wrong with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll pass on this one. Any other advice about a good stick welder I should keep my eyes open for? I want to be able to run 6010 and other rods for heavy duty applications. I don't mind buying a stick/tig combo machine if it makes sense, but space is at a premium in my garage. Thanks for the help!
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400
    Crowbar for when $@&%* gets real

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a small inverter machine for space consideration there are several on the market from various makers. If you want a great machine to run any electrode you want and have the space and power available, an old school transformer machine would be a cheaper and more available option. Iím am thinking Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC or a Miller Dialarc250 AC/DC. Both of these can be had used reasonably but the weigh +/- 300 lbs and need a minimum 50 amp 230 volt service

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Munkul my attention span is limited and Iíve found i canít watch Chuckie. Jody is a little more my style.

And good advice from Sparkie in post above
    :

Post Thanks / Like

What will your diet of 1/2"+ metal be like? 160 amps will get it done just with smaller rods(and possibly different process) than somebody doing it daily?

I would suggest new if you go inverter. I purchased an esab 150aps about 13 yrs ago. Paid 1300 bucks, plus a foot pedal/ tig rig for $300ish. As good as it was, it in no was compared to stuff out now at 1/3 the price. It died after 11 yrs.

Quite satisfied with my esab 161. I have never rig welded with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie1957 View Post
    If you want a small inverter machine for space consideration there are several on the market from various makers. If you want a great machine to run any electrode you want and have the space and power available, an old school transformer machine would be a cheaper and more available option. I’m am thinking Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC or a Miller Dialarc250 AC/DC. Both of these can be had used reasonably but the weigh +/- 300 lbs and need a minimum 50 amp 230 volt service

^^^best thing ya can do right there! will only add that ya can get by with a 30 amp 220 with the old old lincoln 225 buzz box as thats what I learned on when I was 41 years younger and all I had back then was mom's dryer outlet and a 50 foot cord but ya won't get full potential till it gets full in put power
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 01-22-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion this is as good a stick welder that was ever made. Lots of good ones made but these are my favorites. They are very well built and anything short of a direct lighting strike the keep on working. I willing to change my mind if anybody want to try

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

only one in that marketplace thingy I'd buy is https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5445035561378/ inverters are not gonna do ya any good. The older Hobart is a real nice welder. I, personally, would not own a welder that can't run AC.

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever get this crap Name:  spike22.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  245.9 KB you'll than your lucky stars that you have a welder capable of running AC. Sometimes, and I don't care what the experts say...ÖÖ..AC is the only way to eliminate bad arc blow.

You can wrap leads, move work clamps, and stand on yer head, till the cows come home. Sometimes you absolutely need AC.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree . Watch this

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the list of suggestions being AC/DC and Lincoln Idealarc as good choices if possible

:

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Sparkie1957;8738008]In my opinion this is as good a stick welder that was ever made. Lots of good ones made but these are my favorites. They are very well built and anything short of a direct lighting strike the keep on working. I willing to change my mind if anybody want to try

When all our current machines were all on jobs, we had to bring one like that out of retirement. Only issue was, once heat was set, we had to tap in a wood wedge between face plate and adjusting wheel. If you didn't machine would vibrate and heat setting would change.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BD1;8738043]
    In my opinion this is as good a stick welder that was ever made. Lots of good ones made but these are my favorites. They are very well built and anything short of a direct lighting strike the keep on working. I willing to change my mind if anybody want to try

When all our current machines were all on jobs, we had to bring one like that out of retirement. Only issue was, once heat was set, we had to tap in a wood wedge between face plate and adjusting wheel. If you didn't machine would vibrate and heat setting would change.

There are brake bands at the front and back of the rotor where it goes through the transformer core. Those need to be snugged up. Perhaps at some point the linings came off or someone backed the adjustment nuts off to make it easier to change amperage. Iíve been in many of these and my advice Is to leave them alone unless they drift.

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Add me to the list of suggestions being AC/DC and Lincoln Idealarc as good choices if possible

Great looking machine on the old Lincoln tricycle undercarriage. My welder is a 1989, last year the round top, original paint and looks like new inside. I put mine on a tricycle undercarriage I had laying around. I believe the round tops were made from 1953-1989, someone correct me if Iím wrong

Steve

Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

While you could weld unlimited thickness with a Max where they really shine is 120V. If you strictly want a shop machine some others are great, I still use a dc buzzer but the Max class or clones are super in the field. I got mine a long time ago, I use 6011 and not a problem. For some the space, the wiring, the cost, the convenience doesn't matter so much but Joe Avg could do most of it with a Max and a 210 feeder. I can get by without tig.
    If a guy is in the heavy equipment biz, has a full shop then an Idealarc is great, will run 5/32 lohy as fast as you can chuck them in the stinger. Nice to find a home for and run some leads. If I am moving sites, want to use 120V, want fine control within reach, am a little patient with 1/8 lohy and can get by the inverter is in the lead, works well with cords too. If I was limited to 1 that's what it would be,,,, I aint real sentimental about it and not a collector. I got them cause I want to use them to get something done I want to do.
    The 250 Ideal has nice lugs for extra lead. I have a loom in my shop, a stinger hangs out at the booth and benches and another by the door for outside and some out on the floor, I got a connector to common ground. Have about 10 machines or so, been a career welder so have lead and connectors I want to interchange. Not everyone needs or wants all that **** and modern technology has made a lot of it obsolete and more efficient in regards to weight and electric service, portability etc.
    I think its worth a lot for a lot of people today. Lighter, cheaper and faster is a good thing in welding,,,,,,, always has been at the front of that. Inverters are a leap, the stuff is really hitting a stride with the advent of the imported inverter clones.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-22-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to field test a small Everlast or similar. I got no reason to buy one but would put it on my recommend list for entry level, service work, convenience etc. I got a lot of stuff, do a little contracting and its been a long while since I couldn't do the stick work I need with a Max,,, and most don't have the opportunity to do regular work where larger electrodes would save significant time/money.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-22-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.harborfreight.com/stick-...der-64978.html

90 day return policy.

120v/240v

worth a try - should know in a few days if it would work for you.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/stick-...der-64978.html

90 day return policy.

120v/240v

worth a try - should know in a few days if it would work for you.
    Why?

Watching does it offer over miller and lincoln?

Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    Why?

Watching does it offer over miller and lincoln?

Hahaha
    Why? $279 and a 90 day return policy one could find out with no risk if it works for intended purposes and/or if it falls into the ol' "you get what you pay for"

although I have found things that break that rule sometimes.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

For the cost of a good used idealarc I'd have to agree those are some really nice buttery smooth arc striking and welding machines. I've only used mine to test it but from running just those couple of different rod types and diameters I am a believer. I've used about a handful of stick welders and this one is the easiest one to use and get the arc started.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-22-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Munkul my attention span is limited and I’ve found i can’t watch Chuckie. Jody is a little more my style.
    I cannot stand Chuckie, just so you don't get the wrong idea. Not sure how hes managed to get so many followers!