+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job update and tractor welding

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Job update and tractor welding

Is it a dry clutch? Is it the steering clutch or the brake band that’s frozen? They have a cover on top to adjust both of them. I had to pull the finals on both of mine. I’d cut that rock guard off to make it easier. Otherwise you have to take a lot more of the rail apart. Those rock guards do a better job of jamming rocks in than keeping them out. Those little dozers have way more power than you’d expect. Puts a skidsteer to shame when you really get them pushing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    All three welds "done" and ready move white stuff...

Attachment 1709631

Attachment 1709632

It was kinda chilly, had to put on my wool bibs that day...

Attachment 1709633
    dave you almost as good looking as timmy tig
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

dave; you went from teaching shop to calculus? iirc the shop teacher i had in my short secondary school career wasn't known for his math skills and that's putting it politely.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave.
    I missed this thread. I'd have been causing harm if I knew of it. Dry clutches have to be hung in the hay mow of the barn if you don't run them every week.

Never mind the clutches, are there any patches on the transmission case?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Careful with dragging the crawler to free the clutch. Some also talk about running up against a tree to free but, I believe one forum mentioned stripping out/shearing the fiber teeth if frozen to the steels.

My 450B has dry steering clutches, too. I’ve had one side apart. It has steel and fiber discs.

I keep a tarp over the top to keep housing dry and try to exercise occasionally during off season to keep things free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strangedex View Post
    Is it a dry clutch? Is it the steering clutch or the brake band that’s frozen? They have a cover on top to adjust both of them. I had to pull the finals on both of mine. I’d cut that rock guard off to make it easier. Otherwise you have to take a lot more of the rail apart. Those rock guards do a better job of jamming rocks in than keeping them out. Those little dozers have way more power than you’d expect. Puts a skidsteer to shame when you really get them pushing.
    It's the right side steering clutch, and the left side needs adjustment badly - will barely turn.

I saw a video of a guy who cut the rail off and welded it back on. I'd think the rock guard might be a little easier?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    dave you almost as good looking as timmy tig
    I'm a real catch lol
    Or at least my 29 yr old sweetie says so

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    dave; you went from teaching shop to calculus? iirc the shop teacher i had in my short secondary school career wasn't known for his math skills and that's putting it politely.
    Well, I love teaching shop but I have a math degree too. So I guess it makes sense
    I'd so much rather be in the shop
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Thanks Dave.
    I missed this thread. I'd have been causing harm if I knew of it. Dry clutches have to be hung in the hay mow of the barn if you don't run them every week.

Never mind the clutches, are there any patches on the transmission case?
    I didn't see any so far, hopefully I won't.
    It was a former Forestry Dept machine and that the undercarriage was gone through at some point before it was retired - that's a plus

I found online that there is an upgraded type of clutches that don't seize over time. Not very much money over the other kind either.

Quote Originally Posted by labparamour View Post
    Careful with dragging the crawler to free the clutch. Some also talk about running up against a tree to free but, I believe one forum mentioned stripping out/shearing the fiber teeth if frozen to the steels.

My 450B has dry steering clutches, too. I’ve had one side apart. It has steel and fiber discs.

I keep a tarp over the top to keep housing dry and try to exercise occasionally during off season to keep things free.
    I saw the same forum I think. It makes sense to me that if they didn't all release at the same time, it could be possible to strip parts.
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

I left an inch or so of material behind the bottom roller mount bolt and cut up at an angle going forward. This way you can pull the sprocket off and then get the final out. It’s much more straightforward than you might think. Toughest part was keeping it square when going back in. It’s an awkward piece.

I can’t remember everything on how to adjust them in the machine, but you want about half travel on the stick where it’s just the clutches working, then the brake band coming into play as you pull harder.

Once you pull the bad one off you’ll probably decide to do the other side as well. It goes much easier the second time around.

I think they have a set up for a new master link and pin if you can’t get the master pin out of the tracks. I used a big air hammer to pop them out but a sledge and a pin hammer should do the trick. Hit it like you mean it.

Post Thanks / Like

I left an inch or so of material behind the bottom roller mount bolt and cut up at an angle going forward. This way you can pull the sprocket off and then get the final out. It’s much more straightforward than you might think. Toughest part was keeping it square when going back in. It’s an awkward piece.

I can’t remember everything on how to adjust them in the machine, but you want about half travel on the stick where it’s just the clutches working, then the brake band coming into play as you pull harder.

Once you pull the bad one off you’ll probably decide to do the other side as well. It goes much easier the second time around.

I think they have a set up for a new master link and pin if you can’t get the master pin out of the tracks. I used a big air hammer to pop them out but a sledge and a pin hammer should do the trick. Hit it like you mean it.
    That all makes good sense - thanks
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Dresser TD7G, virtually the same tractor as International TD7E, but Cummins engine.

I came real close to buying a JD450C. I was concerned when I could peek WAY in & see new paint. I had a friend go with me to look it over, I had already been there to look & drive. It functioned well. My friend left it running long enough to get the engine thoroughly warm. Smoke started coming out just under the winch. It came from a hose they had run all the way from the crankcase vent. I walked away from it breathing a sigh of relief i hadn't bought into a bunch of trouble.

It seems early 350 & 450 models were famous for bolts breaking holding the front crossmember to the track frame. Lazy mechanics would weld the connection. Then stress would break the crossmember. this leaves the front of the tractor hanging off the transmission case. They commonly break. I'd expect Drott bucket equipped crawlers to be particularly at risk. The empty bucket weighs half what the tractor does.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Asking tractor questions on a welding forum is like asking welding questions on a tractor forum. You should try Tractorforum.com. I bought a 1967 Ford 3000 Diesel that has required a lot of repairs and maintenance. The advice from some of these guys is amazing. They can tell you specific problems for your tractor and what to do and not do. They will have a forum for your brand of tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

By all accounts, removing the master pin is mysery. I haven't done it myself. I've heard the suggestion of removing a couple track shoes, then cutting a track link. When you put it back, weld it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    Asking tractor questions on a welding forum is like asking welding questions on a tractor forum. You should try Tractorforum.com. I bought a 1967 Ford 3000 Diesel that has required a lot of repairs and maintenance. The advice from some of these guys is amazing. They can tell you specific problems for your tractor and what to do and not do. They will have a forum for your brand of tractor.

I didn't actually ask tractor questions, but we good naturedly tend to wander around in my threads

I'd love the 4x4 version of one of those diesel Ford 3000 tractors
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Ford made about that time a County. It was 4x4. The one I am familiar with is about the size of a 5000. A local farmer bought one new. His was one of the steepest farms around. I was impressed because it had big tires front & back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    By all accounts, removing the master pin is mysery. I haven't done it myself. I've heard the suggestion of removing a couple track shoes, then cutting a track link. When you put it back, weld it.
    I used an air powered jack hammer and they came out pretty smooth. I seen a setup online for a new link for just this problem. Two piece unit that bolted together. But if his undercarriage has been gone through recently it shouldn’t be bad. One of mine was worn and had a shoulder but it still came out. Just had to go the other way once I caught on the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

I used an air powered jack hammer and they came out pretty smooth. I seen a setup online for a new link for just this problem. Two piece unit that bolted together. But if his undercarriage has been gone through recently it shouldn’t be bad. One of mine was worn and had a shoulder but it still came out. Just had to go the other way once I caught on the shoulder.
    LOL - an air powered jackhammer doesn't sound smooth...but it would get the job done

It'll be an interesting job for me. First tracked vehicle I'll have worked on and first dozer too
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - an air powered jackhammer doesn't sound smooth...but it would get the job done

It'll be an interesting job for me. First tracked vehicle I'll have worked on and first dozer too
    Haha just don’t hold the punchy bit and it works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha just don’t hold the punchy bit and it works fine.
    Right...the punchy bit
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

I know they make a two piece link for larger tractors. Whether there is one for a mini like yours I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't actually ask tractor questions, but we good naturedly tend to wander around in my threads

I'd love the 4x4 version of one of those diesel Ford 3000 tractors
    Ford did not make a 3000 with 4x4 from the factory. It was an aftermarket conversion kit. For what I do, 4x4 would not be useful. But in the snow, i could see it being quite handy.
    I love my old diesel. It requires a lot of maintenance and is hard to start in the cold, but it always starts. It should last forever if I maintain it. I have to do strange things like changing the oil and cleaning the air filter on the fuel injector pump and changing out the oil in the oil bath air cleaner. I use hydraulic fluid for the transmission and the power steering. It has a 2 quart oil filter canister with its own drain plug. So many things I had to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the master pin has an indent in the center of the pin and all the other pins are flat across the face...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    Ford did not make a 3000 with 4x4 from the factory. It was an aftermarket conversion kit. For what I do, 4x4 would not be useful. But in the snow, i could see it being quite handy.
    I love my old diesel. It requires a lot of maintenance and is hard to start in the cold, but it always starts. It should last forever if I maintain it. I have to do strange things like changing the oil and cleaning the air filter on the fuel injector pump and changing out the oil in the oil bath air cleaner. I use hydraulic fluid for the transmission and the power steering. It has a 2 quart oil filter canister with its own drain plug. So many things I had to learn.

no but years later they made the 3610, 3630 3910 and 3930 in MFWD versions.

Well built tough tractors for sure. I would also like to own 1

ps Dave any plans to add a box blade or maybe build a heavy 3 point weight to give your tractor some additional traction for pushing snow.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Right...the punchy bit
    My son's father in law has a way with words. He is the best studied, but never done it person I've met. No experience with anything but the telephone & computer, but thoroughly qualified to micromanage every project. He once referred to a jackhammer as "We need a rat-a-tat with an iron pecker"

I'll never look at him the same again. That was years ago. Still, every time I feel myself getting P O'd I quote that phrase.

Post Thanks / Like

I've definitely considered that, but I don't have a bigger machine and this one has been locked/rusted for 2 yrs before I got it.
    Just tie it to a big tree and keep working the clutch. Chris

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist