+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harbor Freight Winches

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight Winches

Thinking about getting a Harbor Freight winch to help retrieve the fishing boat when we retrieve on shallow beaches. I've never owned or installed a vehicle winch before. I want it to mount in a receiver hitch, the truck has front and rear receiver hitches. I see they sell hitch mounts or I could easily make one. I want to be able to move it from front to back and have it functional on both. Can I get harnesses with quick disconnects so I can just plug it in at either end? Also it's getting pretty crowded at my battery terminals with the sub woofer amp and the on board air, thinking on adding a terminal block. I have #6 running to the compressor and I am guessing the winch will want at least #6 as well.

edit: looking at some videos looks like the bigger winches will need #4 or #2 cable.....pricey!
    Last edited by bigb; 01-28-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Winches

They won't have very big termination lugs to start with, plus they have pretty short recommended run times (duty cycle)..
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    They won't have very big termination lugs to start with, plus they have pretty short recommended run times (duty cycle)..
    The Harbor Freight ones or winches in general?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article on the 8000 lb unit, the winch performance was respectable but duty cycle sucked, I think the duty cycle was at rated capacity. The actual capacity only applies to the first wrap on the drum. I have a 2500 lb unit for the blade on my little tractor & it has been great so far.
    I've wired several emergency vehicles and always like to run a heavy cable to a continuous duty relay(300 amp or more) to a convenient location and give it key power, this gave me power for battery hot, key hot etc. I decided on this after stripping one out that had a separate wire run for each and every accessory or component on the vehicle, It was so much easier to troubleshoot and easier to wire.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 01-28-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I read an article on the 8000 lb unit, the winch performance was respectable but duty cycle sucked, I think the duty cycle was at rated capacity. The actual capacity only applies to the first wrap on the drum. I have a 2500 lb unit for the blade on my little tractor & it has been great so far.
    I've wired several emergency vehicles and always like to run a heavy cable to a continuous duty relay(300 amp or more) to a convenient location and give it key power, this gave me power for battery hot, key hot etc. I decided on this after stripping one out that had a separate wire run for each and every accessory or component on the vehicle, It was so much easier to troubleshoot and easier to wire.
    I think I'll get the 2,500 as well, it'll be plenty for an aluminum boat. Should be able to use smaller wire too, maybe just one to the battery and ground to the truck frame.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    The Harbor Freight ones or winches in general?
    The low budge new name today winches. Some don't have lug as big as a number 6.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

There are gasoline-powered versions (but also pricey):
    https://www.chainsawjournal.com/best-chainsaw-winch/

Post Thanks / Like

Finished the project and here's some pics. Went with the 2,500 ATV winch and it has plenty of power and duty cycle to pull the boat onto the trailer. Ran #6 from an under hood circuit breaker and another automatic circuit breaker at 50 amps on the winch itself. Used Anderson type connectors. A double receiver lets me slide it in while the boat trailer is attached. A pulley wheel fastened to a piece of receiver tubing slides over the end of the trailer hand crank mount and keeps the winch line up and away from everything. Only bummer is now, due to the pandemic, we probably won't be going on our annual Mexico fishing trip.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, but when you are driving around with no winch in that top bracket, I wonder how long until you end up in somebody's "trailer fail" posts...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same except I mounted the winch on the boat trailer with quick couplers for the wires. I mounted it right below the crank which is used now for back up.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Looks good, but when you are driving around with no winch in that top bracket, I wonder how long until you end up in somebody's "trailer fail" posts...
    The double receiver will only get used at the beach, not on the highway. I am a bit thick though, are you making a joke?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

While still working for the Ambulance I got to the point of replacing the battery cable clamps with military style clamps, I did it on ALL the batteries in every Ambulance and support vehicle, they were great, a lot of room for lugs and dang near impossible for the idiots to screw up! Only drawback was price.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Finished the project and here's some pics. Went with the 2,500 ATV winch and it has plenty of power and duty cycle to pull the boat onto the trailer. Ran #6 from an under hood circuit breaker and another automatic circuit breaker at 50 amps on the winch itself. Used Anderson type connectors. A double receiver lets me slide it in while the boat trailer is attached. A pulley wheel fastened to a piece of receiver tubing slides over the end of the trailer hand crank mount and keeps the winch line up and away from everything. Only bummer is now, due to the pandemic, we probably won't be going on our annual Mexico fishing trip.
    Just tell them you're investigating the effects of Corona in the fish population, they'll let you through

Post Thanks / Like

The double receiver will only get used at the beach, not on the highway. I am a bit thick though, are you making a joke?
    Sort of... I can see people looking at that 2nd receiver thinking you might put a ball hitch up there as well...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bigb, they altered the hours at the port in Lukeville, I think it's 8 am to 6 pm IIRC.
    JEFF

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist