+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Shop upgrade

Having worked myself out of a job in late February I now have time to re-organize my home shop. Will post some pictures as I work to find storage for all the tools and clear off some of the horizontal storage shelves meant to be workbenches.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

2. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop upgrade

Not quite ready for pix
    Last edited by _Dom; 04-02-2020 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Photo fail
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20200402_164429.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  90.9 KB
    Buried underneath all that I have some nice workbenches. Really gotta force myself to get rid of some treasure or I will never get anything done.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

5. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting the pic, it makes me feel better about my shop which I am trying to organize as well! At least I am doing a fair job of keeping the work surfaces clear which is my huge pet peeve. I don't know how high your ceilings are but going up is always an option, high shelving and ceiling racks that fit where the overhead doors retract. As I begin my re-organization I have a feeling there will be some giving away and throwing away of some stuff to free up space.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Outdoor lockers can help too with storage. Unlike a shed that takes up a lot of space and stuff tends to get buried, lockers take little space and when you open the doors it's all right in front of you, no unloading half of the shed to get to the power washer.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  E46CAB1F-3098-4A1A-A949-53C2188A6ADC.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  162.5 KBGood advice, keep it coming. Actually have two Knack boxes in there that could be moved outside. Quick coat of paint and should be good to go. Will try to keep the yard clutter free so giving stuff away is going to be my plan. Hard to do but essential, was going to make run to Habitat Restore but guessing they are shutdown these days.
    Last edited by _Dom; 04-03-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Add photo(s?)

Post Thanks / Like

May look for a locker to use for flammable. If I can make space in my shed for the bicycles it will help.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

not that it matters one bit but,the pink bike is yours right?

Post Thanks / Like

No, this is my bikeName:  378FD439-D943-4CC1-B65A-B6E8CAB4DB32.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  230.5 KB

Just kidding my bike is right here. I rode my wife’s bike today, not the pink beach cruiser, another Trek. The crossroads is kinda cross between Mt bike and road bike, she likes the cruiser better.
    Name:  89096297-A03E-47E5-91F2-DBF03ED70195.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  82.8 KB

My granddaughter actually prefers her scooter but I hold out hope.

Drad ratted picture posted sideways, clutter is all mine.
    Last edited by _Dom; 04-05-2020 at 12:25 AM.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Built this lightweight table long ago, thinking I have a few more projects for it. Might rework the legs, originally thought it handy to be able to pop the top off but I am not convinced I need that feature. Hung the grinders on the top rail, going to try flat bar a little higher, they are in the way when sitting down with the TIG pedal. Also might add height adjustment in the legs to set it level.
    Name:  welding table.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  102.9 KB

Building a stainless sink for the deck, it will live outside, between the garage door and the sliding glass door into kitchen/dining room.
    Last edited by _Dom; 04-06-2020 at 03:12 AM.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  F9581024-1B9A-4541-A10A-9D77EDF0978B.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  126.0 KB

Used 5/8” bolts for leveling feet and finished up the grinder rack. This table is pretty lightweight but I will keep using it for awhile ‘warps n all’.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

14. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned up the second jobox, painted it and moved it outside. Freeing up shop space and easier to access without all that junque sitting on it.
    Name:  IMG_20200421_171509.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  66.9 KB
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Test fit for the outdoor kitchen sink. Positioned between garage door and sliding glass door so I can wash hands conveniently. Name:  IMG_20200503_144037.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  76.6 KB

Not sure what to use for siding, so far it is all built from excess material in the pile. Maybe some shiplap cedar, thinking stone will just be too heavy.
    Last edited by _Dom; 05-03-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

A big part of this is moving tools and equipment out of the garage as shown above. I also plan keeping stuff in a ten foot container, currently located on a jobsite an hour away. Before i do that I need to patch a few holes in the roof.
    Name:  container roof.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  88.9 KB
    Looking to reinforce the "rafters" and add a bit of pitch (1/2" in 12") to provide drainage. The existing roof was flat sheet metal over rectangular tubing and suffered from rust in the joints. Thinking OSPHO and priming everything before painting. The spaces between might get a shot of primer injected as best I can after welding it all up.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

It is summer that AC
    You may think some way close the vent be for next rain.

I do most of my welding out side.
    Only the machine tools get roof.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by _Dom View Post
    A big part of this is moving tools and equipment out of the garage as shown above. I also plan keeping stuff in a ten foot container, currently located on a jobsite an hour away. Before i do that I need to patch a few holes in the roof.
    Name:  container roof.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  88.9 KB
    Looking to reinforce the "rafters" and add a bit of pitch (1/2" in 12") to provide drainage. The existing roof was flat sheet metal over rectangular tubing and suffered from rust in the joints. Thinking OSPHO and priming everything before painting. The spaces between might get a shot of primer injected as best I can after welding it all up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it has been that way for a few years now. I had the convertible roof option (tarp & plywood held down with ropes) This is headed up into the hills, snow load will be an issue. Not really big enough for machine tools, its primary purpose will be secure storage.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Dug this one up because of a new workshop project. That 10 container with its new roof is holding up well in the mountains. Will have to post a few "success" stories from that jobsite.
    Naturally the new project involves a rusty container, this one is 20' and the floor is the problem this time. Didn't think it was as big a problem until I moved the container to its new (and possibly final) location.The rear wall opened up at the floor seam due to rust, it is indoors so I am not sure how much "repair" it will get.
    Name:  20 foot box.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  66.4 KB

The purpose of this new "shop" is restoration of aircraft, it will be a big project. Started off in late November securing doors and replacing windows, so far the window count is over 100 panes of glass replaced with polycarbonate, I was within a dozen or so of completing the task when the vandals returned. Now I have several more to replace, the good news is the polycarbonate resisted sir lancelot.
    Name:  Rebar lance.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  88.5 KB

Plan is to cover the lower 2/3 of the 4' x 12' windows with expanded metal mesh 4' x 8'. I will weld 1/4" x 1" flat bar across the top and 3/16" by 1" angle bar across the bottom, this will all get lag bolted into the aluminum frames over wooden structure. I have setup a jig to drill the bar, welded up the first screen with 6011 1/16" electrode and my vintage buzz box. Pictures to follow, this is a big building and the shop is planned to be well equipped.
    Last edited by _Dom; 02-06-2024 at 10:15 AM.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an overall image of the windows, 100 in the bottom floor alone. Thinking is get the screens up before replacing the newly broken glass, all work except cleanup is from the inside but easier to cleanup the glass without dealing with the screens.
    Buying #9 x 1 1/2" flat expanded metal, wirefeed is on its way, will post the settings for the 1/16" 6011 when I get to the jobsite later. Have to compare the cost of fluxcore vs 6011, used the last of my existing stock on the sample screen. Series of tacks went fast and easy but I might have an assistant weld the majority of the screens, easier to teach them the hot melt glue gun.Attachment 1779553Name:  window.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  113.2 KB
    Last edited by _Dom; 02-06-2024 at 11:29 AM. Reason: straighten picture
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

23. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an overall image of the windows, 100 in the bottom floor alone. Thinking is get the screens up before replacing the newly broken glass, all work except cleanup is from the inside but easier to cleanup the glass without dealing with the screens.
    Buying #9 x 1 1/2" flat expanded metal, wirefeed is on its way, will post the settings for the 1/16" 6011 when I get to the jobsite later. Have to compare the cost of fluxcore vs 6011, used the last of my existing stock on the sample screen. Series of tacks went fast and easy but I might have an assistant weld the majority of the screens, easier to teach them the hot melt glue gun.Attachment 1779553Name:  window.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  113.2 KB
    Hold on a minute... This thread started out in 2020 as "I'm cleaning my garage" and now its "I'm fixing windows in a warehouse shop."

More details? Those are some bigaṣs windows! 4X4 foot panes?
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I failed at trying to retire. The ten foot conainer with roof rot above was my first choice to move onto this project, rehab is already complete and it is cheaper to haul. Ongoing vandalism/theft issues convinced me to use this twenty foot container which was previously just storage. Here are pictures of the floor rot and its current "shop" status. First is the external view, which was obviously an issue. The second one is that same area, internal corner, not visible until after delivery.
    Name:  floor_rot.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  55.6 KB
    Name:  floor rot.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  20 foot container.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  111.3 KB
    This is no warehouse, it is a legitimate aircraft hangar, abused for decades since MCAS El Toro closed. Now being repurposed as museum space for the aircraft of Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum. I will be running the restoration side of things once this building is suitable. 40 aircraft start arriving in March if I can hold schedule. Here is a picture of my drill jig for the angle and flat bars to reinforce the expanded metal.
    Name:  drill jig.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  118.7 KB
    Settings on buzzbox, might run some 3/32" lohy today, wire feed is arriving tomorrow.
    Name:  buzz box.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  109.8 KB
    Last edited by _Dom; 02-07-2024 at 10:07 AM. Reason: straighten pictures
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

26. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The schedule is tight, ongoing struggle with vandalism isn't helping. I will probably not attempt any rust repair on this twenty foot container, certainly not for awhile. Those pictures were the first time I uploaded straight from my phone, the resolution is impressive but I straightened them on my desktop. Can't seem to manage on the small screen, old habits and old eyes...
    Loaded pallet racks and shelving into 4 semi trucks which are arriving tomorrow. Plan is to keep them onsite for a few weeks as secure storage while I wrestle with broken glass, expanded metal and other issues. Hoping sir lancelot has done his worst, tires of the joisting with my windows and moves along to more exciting sport.
    Last edited by _Dom; 02-07-2024 at 10:21 AM. Reason: ps
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    More details? Those are some bigaṣs windows! 4X4 foot panes?
    40" x 20" or so, have to dig up the order for first hundred and reorder another 50. The polycarbonate is really tough but I expect will start to show scratches over time.

It is kinda neat working in there when the hawk takes out a pigeon. Owls as well or so I hear. Once the building is dried in again I expect it will change their hunting habits. I have been thinking of contacting a falconry expert for advice, if I could keep the raptors around it might help keep the vermin at bay. This building is at the corner of Marine Way and Skyhawk road so I will maintain their home turf if I can.
    Last edited by _Dom; 02-07-2024 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

29. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When aircraft start arriving, we expect some much more exiting posts from you.

Is all this restoring done by paid workers or volunteer?
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

40" x 20" or so, have to dig up the order for first hundred and reorder another 50. The polycarbonate is really tough but I expect will start to show scratches over time.

It is kinda neat working in there when the hawk takes out a pigeon. Owls as well or so I hear. Once the building is dried in again I expect it will change their hunting habits. I have been thinking of contacting a falconry expert for advice, if I could keep the raptors around it might help keep the vermin at bay. This building is at the corner of Marine Way and Skyhawk road so I will maintain their home turf if I can.
    As long as you dont plan on bringing small pets around.

I just have Wrens living in the my shop ceiling... they eat bugs and dont crap on my tools. I like them
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

I worked out of a 20ft conex for over 20 years. Now I'm waiting to finish my shop, and I have about 25 Knaack boxes and 4 40ft conex. My structure was new and existing, but under sized. Looking for more property to build my forever house and large shop.

Name:  IMG_5650.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  110.4 KB
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

33. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist