+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Here In The Bunker

Post Thanks / Like

From Here In The Bunker

K'kins informed me, in no uncertain terms, that most of what I do, is most likely proprietary. She's like a lioness, and I respect her.

Anyways, this one is only gonna get some general build stuff. No start to finish. She informed me that stuff that's already been posted is not cool, and to get my crap together on the rest of it. The tubing bender has become off limits. Not because of what it is, but because of how it's being built. Her take on the deal is...…...let them figure out how to build one. These are expensive machines (and I mean REAL EXPENSIVE...….LIKE 5K EXPENSIVE), and she feels that it's up to folks to figure out, on their own, how to do it on the cheap. I guess I see what she's sayin'...……….Those c suckers over at Swag, oughta figure this stuff out on their own. Crap stuff anyhow, but that's my opinion.

Because I'm on "build lockdown", I figured I'd do a a tour of where it all comes from. A quicky, as it were

Takes this...……...

Name:  exhaust flange768.JPG
Views: 1015
Size:  230.5 KB

Name:  exhaust flange769.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  219.4 KB

To make this...………….

Name:  exhaust flange770.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  205.6 KB

I can't say that she's not right. Matter of fact, I agree with her.

So, from here in the bunker, on a 30sumpin' degree day, I wish y'all well in this bad time.

Name:  exhaust flange771.JPG
Views: 1005
Size:  193.5 KB

And, I do mean that I wish y'all well. Hope we're all here on the backside of this thing.

2. Likes Rangerhgm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From Here In The Bunker

Thanks Sam.....I enjoy seeing your projects.....nice to see where they come from
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

Post Thanks / Like

Sam,
    I like your threads since it is a good way to see different ways of problem solving with limited equipment.

In regards to proprietary methods or tools and not being willing to share, I kind of disagree. You are not selling any of your ideas or methods so you are not at risk of losing money. You are in fact helping others by teaching them ways to solve problems or create techniques and tools. You are sharing your knowledge with others and having a positive impact on this community. If I have a project that may be similar, I know I can go back to these threads and see how you did something. As you age, would you be happier knowing you taught others your skills, or happier knowing you kept your knowledge to yourself?

Will someone potentially copy what you did, sure. Will they actually profit from that, not likely.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Proprietary or not, I certainly have benefitted from your shared knowledge. Keep posting what you can when you have a mind to! I am showing your 'wallotoolboxes' to my wife. Lately she has been asking me how many toolboxes does one man need anyway? LOL
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

6. Likes Rangerhgm, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't know where you get all the get up and go from? mrs samm must be feeding you good. keep those pics coming.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I agree with her, but if she is waving a frying pan around its "yes maam, whatever you say"

Hope you keep sharing. I got more space and bigger machines, but a hell of a lot less skill. Learning is hard, you have helped me along the way, and I appreciate it.

I got to ask though, did you ever do the other three tractor wheels? Or, are you in the not broke don't fix but good to know how mode?

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, Samm, I think you need to buy some more tool boxes!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Samm I always admire your work and posts, even when you get yourself into (and out of) a can of worms. I've learned from many of your posts, and I like the "overthinking" of many of your repairs, as I have the same tendencies!

You should do what you feel is right, though I think the proprietary stuff is a little far fetched someone is undoubtedly making some kind of money off your posts. The vast majority of which is made by advertisement when your posts are read, searched for, viewed, etc. and it likely is not much. There may be one of two pros that use your shared knowledge to make (or save) money directly, but that's the same for ANY advice given and though I sincerely doubt it would be any significant or regular amount of money, anything is possible.

I can understand if you have a product or production method that is the proverbial "million dollar idea" and is really innovative, but if you do it's unlikely you'd be thinking about posting it in the first place, and should see a patent lawyer.

Just my .02 and I hope you keep posting Samm! You and yours do your best to stay healthy regardless and kudos on the good work and knowledge you've already shared.

Post Thanks / Like

this is the only socializing a person can do without worrying about getting sick right now. but that temp in your shop, ugh, that would slow me down, swamp cooler would come on. I have built tools that people told me I should patent. I tell them in metal working, its like sex, if it doesn't involve electronics it has probably been done. I would rather someone had to spend the hundreds of hours reverse engineering than have a nicely drawn up plan for them. I build my own casing perforating tools and tell people if they want a copy they can take it down to the local machine shop and have a copy built. there is a few things though that will bite a person trying to copy it without thinking it completely through. nobody has taken me up on that. they just hire me to do the job.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically K'kins is telling Sammm she wants more of his attention and get of the dang interwebs!!!! of course she wouldn't say it like that

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree at all with K'kins. I always thought that forums and any online community for that matter, is a great way to share knowledge, learn from others, etc. If someone is developing something worth patenting/selling, then whey wouldn't probably post it here, but to be fair, we are not discussing revolutionary ways to build/do anything...

Keep sharing (as long as you can!), everyone will benefit from it in the long run...

Mikel

Post Thanks / Like

Sammy,
    I think you deserve a check for showing people how not to do something.. Probably more money in it for the Mrs....
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MRS B is a first grade teacher. She has been stressed since the school shutdown & every politician & every administrator promising to not "let kids fall behind......hold teachers accountable." The transition to virtual education much like making a submarine operator an aircraft pilot next day, no warning. uncharted water, an impossible assignment, many families not choosing to participate.

It'd be an understatement to say she isn't taking some of her stress out on me. I love my wife, I'll love her after Covid 19.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the stuff posted here is kind of proprietary, but we share it here to learn about all the different ways things are done. I enjoy and appreciate your machinery, and welding posts. You appear to put lots of effort into it with pictures, and typing. Keep up posting here, I would rather read about something somebody made, fixed, or welded, than watch the news.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think in her own way telling Sammy to spend more time with her and the farm then on here.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say anything that you fabricate or machine that you can't easily replace with an off-the-shelf component is "proprietary"...

24. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Samm,
    I will give you credit for helping me to think of a way to work on today's project.

I need to make a ring that is 3/4" thick with a 6-3/4" outer diameter and 4-3/8" inner diameter.

My skills with O/A cutting by hand suck so I remembered your use of the roughing mill.

I rough cut the plate with the band saw, welded a ring on the plate, and finished the OD on the mill.

While I think you frequently take the hard way of doing things that take too much time, you obviously know how to use tools.

Your detailed explanations help a lot of us learn so post as much as you can.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy from Pennsylvania Samm. Hope yer doing well out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you show us how you're building the tubing bender........

28. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keith Fenner made a video of building a tube bender.

Post Thanks / Like

BONUS BEER NITE COMIN' UP

Name:  exhaust flange782.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  194.3 KB

She finishes out tomorrow, and as always...……….I get a bonus Beer Nite when something gets done I luv it when it all comes together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Samm,
    I will give you credit for helping me to think of a way to work on today's project.

I need to make a ring that is 3/4" thick with a 6-3/4" outer diameter and 4-3/8" inner diameter.

My skills with O/A cutting by hand suck so I remembered your use of the roughing mill.

I rough cut the plate with the band saw, welded a ring on the plate, and finished the OD on the mill.

While I think you frequently take the hard way of doing things that take too much time, you obviously know how to use tools.

Your detailed explanations help a lot of us learn so post as much as you can.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If I can make you think outside of your regular comfort zone, I've done my job. Cool way to solve a problem dood……….welcome to the Uranus solar system. Ya got yer sh^t together. It ain't all about havin' all that bunch of goodies in yer shop, it's all about how ya make it do what you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Bein' as this is Monday, and the brewskis are flowin' cause it's Beer Nite.

I'm gettin' geared up for tomorrows rollout. Ought be a shock to the old liver to do this crap two days in a row. ROFL

Munkui get's it. Thanks dood. This crap ain't flyin' off the shelf. Thanks for the support man.

Got a ton of Bud's in the cooler Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 328
Size:  1.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need more tool boxes
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    Keith Fenner made a video of building a tube bender.
    which one ?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist