Thread: 3M Half Face Respirator Replacement Filters

Post Thanks / Like

3M Half Face Respirator Replacement Filters

I have the above half face respirator. Brand new, never been used before. Used it for about 2-1/2 hours manually plasma cutting 16 gauge cold roll sheet metal. At the end of 2-1/2 hours could barely get air through the filter cartridges. Not getting enough air/oxygen. Took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly with mild soap and water. Took the 2 flapper valves off and cleaned them as well.

I think that the dust from cutting clogged the large filters. Is there a way to clean these? Air gun? Water? These are pretty expensive for 2-1/2 hours use, and yes I know it is for protection of my lungs.

Thanks for any advice on how to extend the life of the filter cartridges.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Half Face Respirator Replacement Filters

No way that I know of. I hope you have extras. They're pretty expensive right now. I was barely able to get some on Ebay NOS for $15 a pair. Better NOS than nothing.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Weird. I use that and switch them out every 2 weeks or so just for piece of mind. Never had them actually clog up

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had one clog up like that either.

Maybe it got wet? Perhaps the exhaust valve was stuck and you were breathing humid air into the filter/particulates.

A few layers of cotton fabric (depending on thickness) enveloping your filter helps pre-filtration of the bigger stuff.

If i can't find filters soon i'm going to look into buying HVAC filters (or comparable media) and cut them up/hot glue to fit. Drastic times my friends.

5. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    I've never had one clog up like that either.

Maybe it got wet? Perhaps the exhaust valve was stuck and you were breathing humid air into the filter/particulates.

A few layers of cotton fabric (depending on thickness) enveloping your filter helps pre-filtration of the bigger stuff.

If i can't find filters soon i'm going to look into buying HVAC filters (or comparable media) and cut them up/hot glue to fit. Drastic times my friends.
    Or make a manual "PAPR" type of setup where you can run plastic hoses from the inlets where the filters go, and route them to a small boxyou can latch on to your belt off to the side, and you can then fit what ever other filter you can find that might be adequate.

Or you can get them from China. Just make sure to disinfect them. You can get 2097s.
    Last edited by Oscar; 04-04-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC