+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Considering a POWER I-MIG 200E and have a question

Post Thanks / Like

Considering a POWER I-MIG 200E and have a question

I've been keeping my eye out for a MIG welder for around the house and was leaning towards a Hobart 201 MVP but the 200E for $550 is looking attractive.
    I will do some occasional aluminum welding but not enough to justify a spool gun. I notice Everlast doesn't recommend aluminum unless I purchase optional rollers where that isn't necessary with the Hobart.
    Am I understanding this correctly? And would I need to swap drive rollers back and forth?
    Thanks

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Considering a POWER I-MIG 200E and have a question

I'd recommend the Power i-MIG 200. It is superior to both. But in comparison the 200E is a better performer as far as arc quality goes and much lighter to boot. Hobart has aluminum drive rolls too and recommends them as far as I know, unless you are talking with some sales person that doesn't have any in stock and trying to push one out the door. You should use them anytime you don't go with a spool gun. You should also use a polymer/teflon liner.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I considered the i-MIG 200 but didn't think the additional $200 was worth it for my use but I'm willing to listen as to why it may be.
    I'm a novice welder. I have a 4WD truck that I use for off roading that I need to do repairs on, weld on brackets, fabricate misc accessories, etc. I have a trail welder (Ready Welder - a portable battery operated MIG/wire feed welder) that I currently use but I'd like a real welder. I also have an aluminum boat that I periodically need to repair, weld on brackets, etc. And I was looking for dual voltage so I can use it around the house when it isn't practical to bring stuff to my workshop.
    I'm not in a big hurry - Is there a certain time of year that the iMIG 200 would go on sale?

With regard to the Hobart - the manual didn't mention changing anything to use aluminum wire so I assumed that changing the drive roll wasn't necessary. But it makes sense that different a drive roll would be necessary for it also.

So I would need a drive roll for aluminum wire plus an additional drive roll for flux core, correct?
    And what liner is shipped with the welder if it isn't polymer/teflon?
    Are the liner, drive rolls, and other consumables generic (i.e., will I be able to find them locally) or are they specific Everlast designs?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RKCRLR View Post
    I considered the i-MIG 200 but didn't think the additional $200 was worth it for my use but I'm willing to listen as to why it may be.
    I'm a novice welder. I have a 4WD truck that I use for off roading that I need to do repairs on, weld on brackets, fabricate misc accessories, etc. I have a trail welder (Ready Welder - a portable battery operated MIG/wire feed welder) that I currently use but I'd like a real welder. I also have an aluminum boat that I periodically need to repair, weld on brackets, etc. And I was looking for dual voltage so I can use it around the house when it isn't practical to bring stuff to my workshop.
    I'm not in a big hurry - Is there a certain time of year that the iMIG 200 would go on sale?

With regard to the Hobart - the manual didn't mention changing anything to use aluminum wire so I assumed that changing the drive roll wasn't necessary. But it makes sense that different a drive roll would be necessary for it also.

So I would need a drive roll for aluminum wire plus an additional drive roll for flux core, correct?
    And what liner is shipped with the welder if it isn't polymer/teflon?
    Are the liner, drive rolls, and other consumables generic (i.e., will I be able to find them locally) or are they specific Everlast designs?

Thanks
    Also, are the MIG guns the same between the two welders?
    If one of the welders has an advantage when welding upside down I'd like to know about that also.

PS I couldn't find an "Edit" button to edit my post even though I'm supposed to have permission to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

First, you have both digital display for volts and amps. Second you have inductance/Arc force control which improves arc quality and puddle wet in. And yes, that helps when welding over head or vertical. Third, you have 35% duty Cycle at 200 amps instead of 25% duty cycle at 180A. Fourth, it stick welds and does a fine job of it. Fifth, it is digitally controlled instead of the 200E which is only analog. Sixth, the wire feeder has more IPM capability.

As far as the gun goes, the guns are the same.
    The liner sent is steel for steel and stainless. Liners are cheap, so are drive rolls in comparison.
    Some other brands use our drive rolls and liners/guns. Its easier to find drive rolls from us for 20.00 though.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Those all sound like good reasons for choosing the i-MIG 200 over the i-MIG 200E. But, then, under what conditions would the i-MIG 200E be an acceptable choice?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Muffler shop, where it is set and left on the same setting for eternity.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

An advantage of the Hobart would be the ability to drop it off at a local dealer if problems occur under warranty to avoid the hassle of shipping and the associated charges. I read the Everlast warranty statement and, after 30 days, I would be responsible for shipping charges both ways.
    I read on some threads that some people were sent replacement parts instead of having to ship the unit back. I don't mind replacing components myself, in fact I would prefer that over having to ship the whole unit back even if shipping were free.

What should my expectations be regarding replacing components myself under warranty?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

An advantage of the Hobart would be the ability to drop it off at a local dealer if problems occur under warranty to avoid the hassle of shipping and the associated charges. I read the Everlast warranty statement and, after 30 days, I would be responsible for shipping charges both ways.
    I read on some threads that some people were sent replacement parts instead of having to ship the unit back. I don't mind replacing components myself, in fact I would prefer that over having to ship the whole unit back even if shipping were free.

What should my expectations be regarding replacing components myself under warranty?

Thanks
    What does "dropping a hobart off at a local dealer" look like, compared to swapping parts in your own garage at your own convenience (but on you own time)?

Local drop-off sounds good till you really consider what that entails for some of us.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chad86tsi View Post
    What does "dropping a hobart off at a local dealer" look like, compared to swapping parts in your own garage at your own convenience (but on you own time)?

Local drop-off sounds good till you really consider what that entails for some of us.
    I agree, I'd likely spend less time doing it myself than dropping if off and picking it back up. But some companies refuse to send you replacement parts under warranty. They want to you to ship it to them so they do the repair or send you a refurbished unit, even for the simplest repairs.
    That is why I was wondering what I should expect from Everlast. I didn't see anything in their warranty statement about sending me internal parts for replacement under warranty and allowing me to do the part replacement myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I'd likely spend less time doing it myself than dropping if off and picking it back up. But some companies refuse to send you replacement parts under warranty. They want to you to ship it to them so they do the repair or send you a refurbished unit, even for the simplest repairs.
    That is why I was wondering what I should expect from Everlast. I didn't see anything in their warranty statement about sending me internal parts for replacement under warranty and allowing me to do the part replacement myself.
    It's not written down that I'm aware of, but there is a good history of members here getting that exact level of service. I updated my review of my machine in this forum a few days ago after a small part needed replaced (the power switch) and Lugweld assured me I could get a replacement part shipped to me. This was a major factor in my choice to buy my 350EXT. I'm an electrician so I'd have no concerns about doing my own repairs, especially if it means I have less trouble of shipping and waiting. Honestly I'd rather do it my self. Others will be much better off with the typical support models of "drop it off somewhere and wait". There is no universal best approach here, you have to know what will works best for you.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

Post Thanks / Like

The units are plug and play for the most part. Either one or two boards in a MIG unit and not much else.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    The units are plug and play for the most part. Either one or two boards in a MIG unit and not much else.
    I sounds like what you are saying is that even though the warranty statement doesn't explicitly state that you will send out internal replacement parts under warranty, that most parts are "plug and play" and that you will work with the purchaser to help troubleshoot the problem, send them a replacement part, and support them with replacement instructions if it is practical, correct?
    This seems like the best solution for both parties. You don't want to go through the hassle of having a unit sent in, repairing it, and sending it back out any more than I want to go through that unless it is absolutely necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Of course, depending upon the part, that may not always be the solution. But for things like switches and stuff that is plug and play, that is not usually a problem at all. We may ask that the part be sent back in but again that depends upon the part.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

it surprised me how easy it was to swap the switch on mine, took more time to remove the cover than to make the repair. 15 minutes in-and-out and back in service. Thanks for quick service!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist